HISTORY DETECTIVES | Josh White Guitar

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:

A Look at a one of a kind Guild 6 String....that was most definitely made specifically for Josh White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2dXwZ5beQ0
We've seen this one here before and the reason I know is because I remember drooling over....the detective.
The guitar's OK, too. :wink:

Joe

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:

A Look at a one of a kind Guild 6 String....that was most definitely made specifically for Josh White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2dXwZ5beQ0

Check the link Chaz posted. Hans doesn't necessarily agree with the conclusions and given a choice between a TV show that has to present things so as to retain viewer interest and Hans, I pick Hans.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
So, did I read correctly, the owner of 'said guitar' really sold the guitar? After being told that the guitar was orignally made for Josh White, personally, I would have made sure that Josh Jr. got the guitar back. I couldn't have sold a family heirloom like that. Especially if it really was his dad's guitar.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
So, did I read correctly, the owner of 'said guitar' really sold the guitar? After being told that the guitar was orignally made for Josh White, personally, I would have made sure that Josh Jr. got the guitar back. I couldn't have sold a family heirloom like that. Especially if it really was his dad's guitar.
Well, I'm sure most of us share that sentiment, fretted, but who can know why the owner flipped this thing? A rabid Guild fan would certainly not want to give a guitar like that up.

Still at Elderly, eh? Would love to have that instrument. One of a kind, and really special. Totally "made to be played" even before that was Guild's credo. More mojo than you can shake an Ovation at. ;)

dane

Reaction score
I saw the History Detective Josh White Guitar episode some time ago on TV and found it interesting. I too agree that IF that is Josh’s guitar it really does belong back in the hands of his son. But IF is the big word. After reading what Hans wrote, (thanks Nigel for the link) and comparing the photos, I’m a bit skeptical if indeed that is the same guitar. The real clincher for me is the apparent difference in the wood used in bracing the guitar held by Josh White, and the one that was in the possession of the History Detectives. Josh’s definitely looks like spruce bracing; the guitar in question has mahogany bracing. I’m thinking Guild made at least two of these guitars. :?

Dane

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, someone on LTG whose opinion I respect took me to task for jumping in on threads, playing Devils' Advocate and basically stirring the pot for no good reason. As a result I have been trying not to do that, but it looks like this might fit into that category.

Two people have suggested that the guitar in question should be with Josh White, Jr. What do they mean by that? The current owner of the guitar should just give it to JWJr? Some philanthropic entity should acquire it and give it to JWJr? The Government should step in and possess it?

If people are making an emotional statement that the guitar belongs with JWJr then that's fine with me and I understand it. But if they are saying something should happen (other than JWJr buying it outright if he really wants it) to bring that about then I am wondering what people think should happen and why?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How 'bout all of us here at LTG chip in and buy it and then we can give it to Josh White Jr. :wink:

(Of course, he might have been the one that sold it in the first place!)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, frono, you jump in any time! :) I guess we're in the holiday spirit here. I know I wouldn't give that guitar away (maybe I would give it to the family if I could afford to), but flipping it is what irritated me a little. Far be it from me to tell someone what they should do with their guitar collection, but that bothers me.

Dane, the last we spoke with Hans on this subject, the verdict was out. Someone had possibly changed Hans' mind about the bracing issue, which we agreed was the strongest evidence that this was a different guitar than the one in the old Josh White pictures. Hans hasn't weighed in on that since. I'm sure the new testament has been taking up his time!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

dane

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Chazmo said:
Dane, the last we spoke with Hans on this subject, the verdict was out. Someone had possibly changed Hans' mind about the bracing issue, which we agreed was the strongest evidence that this was a different guitar than the one in the old Josh White pictures.

Hello Dane,

This was the thread:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11711&p=158453&hilit='Josh+White'#p158453

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl
Hans, thanks for the link. Personally, I love a good mystery.