Someday, I'd Like To Find A Good Deal On A Guild B-50 Bass.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Someday, I'd Like To Find A Good Deal On A Guild B-50 Acoustic Bass.

I saw this 1981 B-50 NT online. I would suppose its sold already and there wasn't a price listed.
http://www.mdgworld.com/guildbass/

In What Years Did Guild Make The B-50? Any Built In the Hoboken or Westerly Plants ? The B-50 in the link above is Fretless. I bet a good number of LTGers own B-50's. It would be great to see some pics, even though they'll probably give me GAS......

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Start Start here. Mine was Westerly. I think 1975-1990 covers the years they were made. At some point the B-50 morphed into the B-30. There are other folks who know the history better that I do, at least when I rely on memory. More later.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's my 1976 B-50. It's pure acoustic.

100_6427.jpg

Here's a sound demo recorded on a cheap digital still camera.

frettedstrings

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
Here's my 1976 B-50. It's pure acoustic.

100_6427.jpg

Here's a sound demo recorded on a cheap digital still camera.

Hey Grot, That's a nice one. I don't want any electronic either. I usually play into a small diaphram condensor mic when playing my D-35 and F212.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Yup I'd love one too!
I've heard that the only comparable acoustic bass is the tacoma thundercheif... so for me it'll probably whichever one comes at a good price, at a good time first. Though obviously I'd prefer the guild just because of its sheer, overall awesomeness :mrgreen:

frettedstrings

Reaction score
B-50's must be rather rare, though, at least those that own them are not interested in selling them, because I don't see any 4 Sale on ebay and such.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:
B-50's must be rather rare, though, at least those that own them are not interested in selling them, because I don't see any 4 Sale on ebay and such.
I think I see maybe 4 a year on eBay. I found mine because former president of Guild, Jerre Haskew posted (on LTG) a list of guitars that were for sale and a list of guitars that would be for sale. The latter list included a B-50 and when I finally contacted him it was still available. I also think there is a part of the demand for B-50's that can be satisfied by a B-30 and there might be as many as 12 per year of those.

If you want a B-50 and it has to be a B-50 then I advise patience and the willingness to make an offer that the seller will not refuse. In the spirit of Luke 14:28 and counting the cost before beginning an endeavor, I'd suggest having $1,500 in the bank and planning on throwing a party with what you do not spend. Or to put it another way, my opinion is that if you are prepared to drop $1,500 you will almost certainly get the next one that comes on the market.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:
$1500 :shock: Ouch ! We'll I won't be ready anytime soon. What is the difference between the B-50 and the B-30?
I'm doing the memory thing with no aids but the I believe the later B-30's have a little less depth to the body and came with factory electronics. Like many Guilds to really know what you are getting, you need to know model and year. In the beginning was the B-50. Then came the B-30 which was slightly smaller. Then they phased out the B-50 and made the B-30 just a touch bigger. I think the B-30 always had factory electronics.

That is actually a very interesting question. I'll see if I can come up with a more precise answer and post it for posterity. No promises, though.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:
but I would rather have an acoustic bass without electronics.
I agree with you if the word "visible" is added but if you are playing with people you will eventually have to choose between a mic, a pickup, switching to a stand up bass or not being heard. While most people would prefer I chose the latter, I find the first two make more sense and it is easier to plug in than to position a mike and then stay in position.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
A lot just depends upon where you are and what you are trying to do.

For me, a bass guitar and a bass (in the orchestral sense) are two different instruments and I can play one but not the other.

I have been around some bluegrass and "Olde Tyme Music" snobs who don't want me around if I amplify anything or if I play a bass guitar instead of an upright bass.

If I need amplification and am allowed to use it I find it easier to grab a bass, an amp and a cord and just plug in. This also allows me some flexibility about whether I stand or sit and where I do so. The alternative would be carrying a bass, amp, microphone and mic stand and then having to set up and balance the mic and stay there once it was set.

The times I play where there are people to help set up and manage sound are extremely rare but when they do happen an electric bass is the usual choice.

Reaction score
Guild Acoustic bass B50NT

Frettestrings, still interested in buying a Guild B50NT? I have one for sale Serial BA100209, pls contact me michel 7236@videotron.ca

Someday, I'd Like To Find A Good Deal On A Guild B-50 Acoustic Bass.

I saw this 1981 B-50 NT online. I would suppose its sold already and there wasn't a price listed.
http://www.mdgworld.com/guildbass/

In What Years Did Guild Make The B-50? Any Built In the Hoboken or Westerly Plants ? The B-50 in the link above is Fretless. I bet a good number of LTGers own B-50's. It would be great to see some pics, even though they'll probably give me GAS......