Nightingale LTG-Member Review

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
How long have you owned the Nightingale: Since 2010
Year & specific model: 1987 Nightingale (only 82 made from 1987-88)
Purchased new or used: Used
Price paid: you probably won't believe it, but around 1650 US$

Owners rate 1 (least appreciated) to 10 (most appreciated) in following categories with comments as desired:

Build quality: 10, as every top of the line guild
Looks: 10, Drop Dead Gorgeous. The prettiest guitar ever for my taste
Sustain: 10 long and balanced on all strings, no dead spots
Setup: 10 very low without buzz
Playability/comfort: 10
Dependability: 10
Fingerstyle: 10
Flatpick: 10
Strum: 10

Condition (Mint/Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor): Excellent
Favorite Strings (one selection only): Galli Nickel, .010-.046 atm.

Would you buy another if lost/sold: Yes without a doubt, If I ever find an affordable one again.

Overall Assessment: It’s as good as it gets. It’s my main player, and absolute favorite. Designed by George Gruhn

Most Appreciated Characteristic: The balanced rich tone, versatility for every style and still a unique sound, very light weight, comfortable and even looks cool.
Least Appreciated: It is hard to find another one :wink: .
Favorite Nightingale Story/Moment: Probably the way it has found me. In May 2010 I had found an ad on a german craigslist-style website, where a Guild Rock- and Bluesguitar was offered in the title.
It was described as Guild Nightingale in sunflower yellow, original owner, excellent condition with a price around 2150 US$ which obviously is ridiculously low for this guitar in this condition but no pictures. I watched this ad for 3 weeks, knowing that I couldn't afford even the low price.

Finally I decided to sent this guy a message. he replied that it still was for sale and that he will shoot photos and send them to me. the letter with the prints came and what I saw was the most beautiful guitar I ever had seen before. we mailed again and he told me his story an then offered even a lower price of 1650 US$ and I couldn't resist, borrowed some money and picked it up in Berlin 2 weeks later.
I still can't believe I was so lucky and love this guitar everyday more.

Other observations/comments: The tonal quality of the Nightingale is well balanced between all the ranges. The electronics give endless variations of the already acoustical great semi-hollow sound. even the noiseless EMG's suit well if you set them low, no need to change the pickups. The shape and thickness of the neck is very comfortable a round C with a slight V-touch - hard to describe, the best neck I ever played. My personal modern electric semi-hollow guitar reference.

Specifications of the Nightingale:
Type/ Shape: 6 string chambered electric semi-acoustic with F-holes and florentine cutaway on the treble side
Body: chambered mahogany.
Top: carved solid spruce with F-holes.
Neck: 1 piece mahogany.
Fretboard: Ebony, with binding.
Fretboard Inlay: pearl diamonds.
Binding: White/black - 5-piece on headplate and 7-piece on the body.
Headstock Overlay: Black.
Headstock Logo: Guild and pearl G-shield
Bridge: Mueller bridge with Tailpiece
Nut: Bone.
Tuning Machines: Kluson original tuners.
Scale: 630 mm/ 24.8”
Neck Width at Nut: 43 mm/1-11/16"
Number of Frets: 22
Pickups: 2x EMG 60
Electronics: 1x Vol, 1x Tone with coils split push/pull, Toggle, Phase switch
Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer ?
Color: faded amber burst
Body Width: 13-3/8”
Body Depth: 1-7/8”
Body Length: 17-1/2”
Overall Length: 39-3/4”

CIMG1934.jpg