Your favorite picture(s) of an artist playing a Guild?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someone was asking about a CE-100 on FB, saying that Dylan had one. I didn't remember seeing anything on here, but, sure enough, found a pic of him with one in the studio. Anyone know if it was his, or he was just playing it?
It sounds like the Guild CE-100 belonged to Happy Traum. See story: http://www.happytraum.com/blog/a-recording-session-with-bob-dylan

Guild%2BCe%2B100.jpg

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I spy, with my little eye, something that starts with "Starfire..." Anyone know who played guitar in the Ike and Tina Turner Revue band?
I don't know who played the Starfire IV with added bigsby (note: no block inlays on fretboard) but the picture you posted is from the 1971 movie directed by Milos Forman called “Taking Off”. Ike & Tina appeared in that movie. Here's another color picture from that movie, showing the guitar in color, mind the picture is horizontal mirrored, they are not all lefthanded guitar players...
Story: https://tinaturnerblog.com/2012/05/25/ike-tina-taking-off-in-hd-goodbye-so-long/

vlcsnap-2012-04-04-00h12m11s801.png

This red Starfire IV can be seen in most of the 1971 videos like in the Live in Las Vegas concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88V3qRGLs-Q

Ralf

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
While watching the new Dan Rather Interviews with Sheryl Crow, and seeing a clip of her playing her M85 bass, I was surprised that noone's posted a pic of her with it here. So, to right the wrong...
8845335240_a51daac82c_b.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, so I am too lazy to go through all 43 pages. (I started which led to the above.)

Have we posted the Kingsmen of Louie, Louie fame?

Starfire II?

Kingsmen-NYC.jpg

(Not sure why it says "The Sandpipers" on the bass drum!)

Looks like he took it up to a SF-V

kingsmen.jpg

Crawford-Dirtiest-Song-of-the-60s1-1200.jpg

Even in later years there was still a Guild!

kingsmen-promo-pic2.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
I didn't get a photo because I was too far from the stage, but when I saw The Psychedelic Furs play at First Avenue in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago, guitarist Rich Good was playing a black reissue S-200 Thunderbird for the first few songs before switching to a Jazzmaster. I did, however, find one of him playing a T-bird from an earlier show and another cool shot of him playing a Starfire.

GoodGuild2_zpserjhqgxj.jpg

GoodGuild_zpsjmnxbzll.jpg

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't get a photo because I was too far from the stage, but when I saw The Psychedelic Furs play at First Avenue in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago, guitarist Rich Good was playing a black reissue S-200 Thunderbird for the first few songs before switching to a Jazzmaster.

No photo, never happened! :wink:

matsickma

Reaction score
The upgrade to a SF5 is a pretty significant jump given it is one of the few with DeArmond single coils!
Nice looking mud 1990's Bluesbird on the later version of the Kingsman.
M

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like he took it up to a SF-V

kingsmen.jpg

Crawford-Dirtiest-Song-of-the-60s1-1200.jpg

The upgrade to a SF5 is a pretty significant jump given it is one of the few with DeArmond single coils!

If you take a close at the photos you will notice that the guitar in question is even more significant, since it is one of the earliest Starfire V production models that Guild did. Not only does it have the DeArmonds, it also has the rounded pickguard with the V-Chevron (not the 'Star'), the pickup switch on the bass-side cutaway and the Master Volume on the treble-side and last but not least (although it's not really clear in the photos) the 'lip top' headstock with Kolb Deluxe tuners.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, this is big! I didn't know John had ever played a Guild. Don't know if it's his, or he was just borrowing it but here he is with a Startfire I (and Rog.) From Roger's hair, this should be about 67-68.
img_0237.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, this is big! I didn't know John had ever played a Guild. Don't know if it's his, or he was just borrowing it but here he is with a Startfire I (and Rog.) From Roger's hair, this should be about 67-68.
img_0237.jpg
John Entwhistle, right?

1966 is a good guess for the bass.

I don't recall ever seeing any action photos but he owned at least one Starfire II. It looks like it ended up (or passed through) here. They claim

John purchased/was given this guitar, we believe, mainly for recording sessions (being a stereo bass and a very fine instrument). John probably added this to his private collection for nostalgic reasons, being similar to a semi-acoustic bass he used on stage back in the 60s.

1974 blond Starfire II, I believe. Complete with a humbucker era tone switch and an engraved TRC.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Angus Young of AC/DC with a Guild???!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7n33zWak
That's indeed a tricky one where I would need help from Hans. I see in the video: Plain headstock with silkscreened gold Guild logo, mahogany, flat back, natural spruce top, black binding, black plastic TRC, D-40 type rosette (larger middle ring). So I would have guessed D-40 from first half of the 1970ies. But I thought a D-40 had white binding and a D-25 and D-35 had black binding but not the rosette visible in the video (at 1:31)...So I am not sure what exact model Guild it is.

EDIT: I was pretty wrong...See Hans answer below, it is a mid-'70s F-30NT !

angus-young-acoustic-high-voltage--735x413.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's indeed a tricky one where I would need help from Hans. I see in the video: Plain headstock with silkscreened gold Guild logo, mahogany, flat back, natural spruce top, black binding, black plastic TRC, D-40 type rosette (larger middle ring). So I would have guessed D-40 from first half of the 1970ies. But I thought a D-40 had white binding and a D-25 and D-35 had black binding but not the rosette visible in the video (at 1:31)...So I am not sure what exact model Guild it is.

angus-young-acoustic-high-voltage--735x413.jpg

Ralf

Looks like a mid-'70s F-30NT to me!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl