Not my favorite picture(s) nor my favorite artist but ......

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not my favorite picture(s) nor my favorite artist but I thought some of you might enjoy these nevertheless!

I assume some of you will recognize this photo of Eric Clapton playing a Guild F-50B :

EricClapton68Cat_1.jpg

It was used on the cover of the 1968 Guild catalog.

Shortly after the Westerly plant was closed in 2001, I was going through some old boxes with miscellaneous stuff and I found some old torn up contact sheets. Most of the sheets were damaged and smeared with dirt but I was able to make out some of it in the very dark room that I was in. The sheets turned out to be the contact prints of the photo shoot during which the photos for the 1968 catalog were made.

Unfortunately they were just contact prints and not the actual films, but I was able to scan some of it for you, so you have an idea:

EClaptonContacts_1.jpg

It looks like somebody had the brilliant idea that there had to be a lady dancing around in these photos; meanwhile Eric looks like he's falling asleep. Lucky for us they never used any of that.

Here are some more that they didn't use,

EClaptonContacts_3.jpg

but they had an artist make something out of the one in the lower left corner for the Flat Top Guitar Catalog that came out not long after that:

EricClapton69Cat_1.jpg

Yes, those must have been wild days! Hope you enjoyed the show!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Do you know where I can get a jacket like that? :lol: Kind of a cross between Tina Turner and Davy Crockett. :shock:

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
What fun! The days of big hair... I vaguely remember that! :lol: I'm glad you had the presence of mind to save what you could from the RI plant. Thanks!

skinny

Reaction score
Those pics are quite a neat piece of history Hans!
That's such a bad "'fro" on Eric :wink:
Thanks for sharing !!

skinny

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Do you know where I can get a jacket like that? :lol: Kind of a cross between Tina Turner and Davy Crockett. :shock:

It just so happens I do know where to find one.

100_0376.jpg

100_0378.jpg

I've had this coat for a couple of decades and it still fits; barely but it still looks cool. Right On!!! :lol: It's one of the things I actually wanted to save from those hippie days. The other thing I kept was a pair of peace symbol book-ends. Got 'em in 1968 upon my return from home.

Thanks Hans

Peace

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice little glimpse into Guild's past. Thanks, Hans.

I would say EC was having a bad day.

Dave :D

jte

Reaction score
Hans, thanks!

Eric with his Dylan/Hendrix inspired hair, wonder what he was playing during the pictures...

And maybe David Crosby has a coat like that still too!

John

idealassets

Reaction score
OK, now that I've seen Eroc clapton posing with this guitar- are there any soundclips of him playing on a Guild acoustic? I would like to see it.

CG

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
idealassets said:
OK, now that I've seen Eroc clapton posing with this guitar- are there any soundclips of him playing on a Guild acoustic? I would like to see it.
CG
Reported by a buddy who was into that kind of trivia in the day: "Thorntree in the Garden" on Layla. I have absolutely no clue as to the accuracy of that. But it's neat story for us Guild lovers!