1967 Guild Starfire IV restoration (Pics)

Fixit

Reaction score
Well as promised, here are some pictures of the SF-IV I receintly aquired that is going to get a restoration. This guitar as you can see from the pictures has been re-painted and is also sporting the wrong tailpiece, pickguard and tuning machines, Yuk! :( Anyway these will be the first in a series to attempt to capture key points through the process. This guitar is a mahogany SF that was originally Cherry Red. I will attempt to remove the black and retain the original color. I am certain that some color touch-up will probably be needed, but hope to keep it at a minimum. I am also sure that some additional clear coat (nitrocellulose lacquer of course) will be needed. After that re-assembly with the correct parts. I am not attempting to restore to new condition, that wouldn't look right either for a forty five year old guitar, rather I am after that not abused, and well taken care of look. The real good news is that this guitar plays well and sounds even better, but we will get to that after the work is done. I hope everyone will enjoy watching the transformation as much as I will enjoy bringing this back to where it should be. So without further ado this is what I'll be starting with.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Mr. Fixit. That's quite the project. How exactly do you plan to remove the black paint, without disturbing what's underneath?

Looking forward to following your progress.

~nw

Fixit

Reaction score
Most of the time I have noticed over the years, that the newer paint does not bond to the older finish all that well. using small scrapers
I have been able to remove the newer finish. This is a slow process and requires patience but is usually worth it. Alot depends on what was done to the original finish to prep it for the new paint. If it hasen't been sanded through the old finish to bare wood, which I don't believe this one has I should be abl to get most of it off. I may have to sand a little in a few tough areas carefully so as not to go through the old finish.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Find a seat and buckle up. This is gonna be a good ride.

Dave :D

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl, douse the guitar in SNIBBO

Its special formulation means that it will remove only what you want it to. Might be handy to splash a bit of it on some of your Phonics housewife friends !!

Fixit

Reaction score
Well i've started removing the, shouldn't be there, black paint. It's going pretty much as expected. Looks like I will have to do some color touch-up before clear coats, but all of that good old Hoboken cherry red is going to stay. You may have noticed I haven't taken the guitar apart yet. I will have to soon, but I don't want to give up playing it yet, it sounds sooooo! good.

IMG_0343.jpg

Till next time.

Fixit

Reaction score
I actually used a combination of tools, about a 2" wide wood chisle another one that was about 1/2" wide, a utillity knife blade. As I was telling Darryl in an e-mail my scrapper of choice for this kind of thing is a piece of cut glass, very sharp square edge. The idea is to pull the edge across the finish. Never push the sharp edge into the work, you would dig into the wood. The tool has to be kept very sharp. Just about any sharp edge will work. The trick is the right angle of the edge to the work and the right pressure.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fixit said:
I actually used a combination of tools, about a 2" wide wood chisle another one that was about 1/2" wide, a utillity knife blade. As I was telling Darryl in an e-mail my scrapper of choice for this kind of thing is a piece of cut glass, very sharp square edge. The idea is to pull the edge across the finish. Never push the sharp edge into the work, you would dig into the wood. The tool has to be kept very sharp. Just about any sharp edge will work. The trick is the right angle of the edge to the work and the right pressure.

Interesting ! Thank you.