Despirate for the G-600 Aspen Acoustic Amp Schematics

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
This may not shock anyone, but Fender Service for Guild products (Arizona) has NOTHING on the Guild solid state series of amps (G-300, 500 or 600). No info, no schematics!

My 93 Aspen G-600 which I bought new, has suddenly gone totally silent (power light is on) after being stored in a box for 8 years. No electrical sounds at all.

I can not find schematics for this or any of the G series amps on any of the major schematic sites I located via Google searches.

The Fender recommended service center in Orange County Ca never even heard of the Guild Aspen or any of the G series amps. But they said they would trouble shoot it IF I can find a schematic.

Do you have, or know where I can get a schematic for the Guild G-600 Aspen SS Acoustic Amp?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Also any clues about what might be the problem, how to diagnose or fix it would be great too.

BTW - does anyone know if Guild actually made these amps? If they didn't maybe I could contact who did for a schematic?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jazzdj said:
does anyone know if Guild actually made these amps? If they didn't maybe I could contact who did for a schematic?

Hello jazzdj,

These amps were made by Randall, so that would be your best bet!

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dklsplace

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
These amps were made by Randall, so that would be your best bet!

I had contacted Randall a few years back when I had my G-1000. The person who responded said that they had no materials/info left on any of the Guild amps.

Schematic heaven used to have tons of the hard to find stuff, but it seems they're no longer around. :?

G

Unregistered
coastie99 said:
dklsplace said:
Schematic heaven used to have tons of the hard to find stuff, but it seems they're no longer around. :?

http://web.archive.org/web/200808220451 ... x_HTML.htm

Thanks guys.

Bad news on the Randall lead ... damn! I'll try again anyway Monday, just to be sure.

Looked through the archived schematic heaven site, in the "Bargain Bin Amps" and found nothing for these G series amps. Handy site for some of my other oldies though,

Thanks for the URL. :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi (again) and welcome to LTG. I posted this in the other 'help me find a schematic' thread ... anyway, nothing's changed.

I'm not sure there's a schematic for this amp out there anywhere. If the pilot light is on, then the primary fuse isn't blown. I don't know the amp that well; I guess it could have fuses on the secondary but that isn't that common in this kind of amp.

If it's not on the outside, the fuse is inside in a fuse clip on the chassis somewhere. It forces the player/tech to pull the chassis preventing people from wrapping foil around a blown fuse and other bad practices. Anyway, if you want to look at the fuse, the chassis has to come out.

A lot of these amps use edge connectors ... these are vertical but the principle is the same; they can come loose at any time and maybe more likely during a move.

RearPlugs.JPG

The only suggestion I have is to pull the chassis out and take something non-conductive like a chopstick and tap around ... you're looking for a mechanical joint ... edge connection ... wire that flops around that's not connected to anything. You might check the speaker connections too; amps with disconnected speakers tend to be extra quiet :wink:

Good luck, wish I had more to offer.

G

Unregistered
Good news boys ... I made a call to US Music Corp (instead of calling Randall direct) about schematics and found a very helpful management guy in the service dept. (as you might know, US Music Corp owns Washburn, Randall and bunch of other brands, and used to own Guild before selling it to Fender).

I grew up not too far away from Mundeline IL and we traded stories, he did some digging and goodness, he found schematics for the G300 Tamarack, G600 Aspen and G700 Sequoia (turns out the G500 is incorrect, these is no G500), also the G1000 odd ball. I have them in PDF format, just need to find a free (I did say free) file hosting site that an ol fart like me can figure out, to post them for ya'll to access.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
To post the schematics on the web; Click this link to Prowess amps. Put the schematic in the Miscellaneous category where there are other Guild schematics. If you can't figure out how to do it, post here and say: 'I can't figure out how to do it'.

G

Unregistered
All the new Guild G series schematics are now posted on http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/ in the "Misc" category, for anyone's downloading. Great site for you to upload schematics you want to share and find some pretty obscure amp info.

The G300 Tamarack schematic lost the Guild name in front of it when I uploaded, but James DeBriyn promised to fix it for me soon.

I also sent the files to Jay at the GuildGuy.com for his archiving and I'll try to find a couple other amp schematic sites to share them with as well, so anyone can find them. A good shout out goes to nice folks at Randall Amps div of US Music Corp for keeping them and emailing them to me, even though they no long have any connection with the Guild brand. (And shame on Fender (the Wal-Mart of musical instruments) and the "new" Guild for NOT getting copies for their archives).

Now hopefully I can get my Aspen working again.

dklsplace

Reaction score
jazzdj said:
Good news boys ... I made a call to US Music Corp (instead of calling Randall direct) about schematics and found a very helpful management guy in the service dept...

Fantastic! Where was he when I needed him?! :?

G

Unregistered
dklsplace said:
jazzdj said:
Good news boys ... I made a call to US Music Corp (instead of calling Randall direct) about schematics and found a very helpful management guy in the service dept...

Fantastic! Where was he when I needed him?! :?

Here's what you probably ran into when you tried. Before calling US Music Corporate offices number and rooting around to the right manager, I also sent Randall Service Dept an email asking them to look for schematic files for the Guild G series amps that they made for Guild back in the early 90's. Here's the clueless response I got:

"Hey Keith,
We are US Music Corp. We deal with Warwick, Randall, Eden and Marshall.

Eric "Kidd" Thompson
Customer Service Amp Support
Eden, Randall, Marshall, Warwick/Hellborg
U.S. Music Corp.
444 E. Courtland St.
Mundelein, IL 60060"

In other words, ..... never heard of Guild, don't bother us if it's Guild. Now POSSIBLY to his defense, he may have joined USM Corp after Guild was sold to Fender. But you'd think they'd inform newer people what they'd made before and what files they have.

Never the less, still, shame on Fender and the "new" Guild for not having these files too!

dklsplace

Reaction score
I explained the connection, gave them a range of dates & model numbers. Probably just a blow off response. :?

I wonder if there is/was a patent on the G-1000 stool amp? I still think that's one that could have been a monster if done right.

G

Unregistered
dklsplace said:
I wonder if there is/was a patent on the G-1000 stool amp? I still think that's one that could have been a monster if done right.

I suspect most amp companies patent what they can, owing to the fact that there are only a certain number of ways to design a Tube circuit (Gibson's and Marshall's were circuit clones of Fenders, and so on with others), Solid State amps may be another matter though with all the possibilities of effects, loops, chorus, etc. I'm a tube guy when it comes to fixing them and SS amps give me a headache.

The Bar Stool amp I think, was a very individual choice for a guitar player. I personally laughed when I saw it. But unless I'm playing slide (traditional C&W sit down style), I can't stand to sit and play, even all the time I spent doing studio work.

Just the thought of that stool rumbling, changing, reverbing under my butt, not my idea of fun ... now the ladies with an axe might find it ..... exhilarating! Would make the Oo Oo Oo chorus in a Beatles song a lady was singing have an all new meaning. I'd enjoy watching that :lol:

hideglue

Reaction score
jazzdj said:
Just the thought of that stool rumbling, changing, reverbing under my butt, not my idea of fun ...

These hacks don't seem to mind (and I doubt those Twins are whispering)

Eric%20Clapton%20BB%20King%20Reprise%20Publicity%20Still.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
jazzdj said:
... I suspect most amp companies patent what they can, owing to the fact that there are only a certain number of ways to design a Tube circuit (Gibson's and Marshall's were circuit clones of Fenders, and so on with others)
Hi jazzdj; if that were true, then wouldn't Gibsons, Fenders, and Marshalls all sound alike? Do you think they do?

There are amplifier basics that are common to all tube amps regardless of mfr; power supply, preamp, tone/volume controls, line stage, output tubes, and an output transformer ... if you want a tube amp, you have to have these large chunky pieces but Leo Fender isn't responsible for that fact. According to Wallace Marx' book Gibson Amplifiers 1933-2008 – 75 Years of the Gold Tone, Gibson - in the persons of Ted McCarty and Seth Lover - went out of their way to avoid adopting Fender circuits.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting schematics. I just picked up one of these. Schematics are great, but I'm looking now for an owners manual. Does anybody have one that they can copy and post .pdf of? I'd surely appreciate it.
a

Reaction score
;1451452 said:
Good news boys ... I made a call to US Music Corp (instead of calling Randall direct) about schematics and found a very helpful management guy in the service dept. (as you might know, US Music Corp owns Washburn, Randall and bunch of other brands, and used to own Guild before selling it to Fender).

I grew up not too far away from Mundeline IL and we traded stories, he did some digging and goodness, he found schematics for the G300 Tamarack, G600 Aspen and G700 Sequoia (turns out the G500 is incorrect, these is no G500), also the G1000 odd ball. I have them in PDF format, just need to find a free (I did say free) file hosting site that an ol fart like me can figure out, to post them for ya'll to access.

What did you find out about the G500? I have one for repair with a loud hum/ buzz and can find zero information abut it. I have the G600 schematic, but the power supply doesn't quite correspond to the G500. What did you mean, "there is no G500"? I've replaced the PSfilter caps, which didn't help, and I now seem to be chasing my tail. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thnx