Guild Merle Travis

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Not that one. But there are other pics of him with that guitar. Good stuff.

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
Jesus H. Christ....the headstock must weigh 15 lbs......the skinny bloke can barely hold it up.

I bet it must have really smashed thoses Hi Watts to smithereens, though...

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No way that guitar should be in the hands of Peter Townsend.....just BECAUSE....! Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
No way that guitar should be in the hands of Peter Townsend.....

Oh, I'm not sure about that ..... but if it eases your mind I can tell you that Pete sold the guitar a long time ago. Actually, it's the guitar that's pictured on page 100 of The Guild Guitar Book and I'm happy to tell you that it's safe and sound!

Unlike this one, that had to go through major surgery to become playable again:

MerleTravis_repair.jpg

Not by me but by the folks of the Guild Repair Center in Nashville who did a wonderful job!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, I just got a shiver thru my body.....so glad you rescued that...but what happened to it, and do you have an 'after' picture, so I can sleep tonight....you're a good man Hans...Steffan :wink:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Hans, I just got a shiver thru my body.....so glad you rescued that...but what happened to it, and do you have an 'after' picture, so I can sleep tonight....

Hello Steffan,

Let me point out again that I had nothing to do with the repair of that guitar; it was all done at the repair shop in Nashville.

Unfortunately I cannot show you photos of the entire guitar, but I was able to 'crop out' the headstock from a photo showing the backside of the instrument. It should give you a pretty good idea what that particular area looked like after the repair:

MerleTravis_repair2.jpg

You should be able to sleep tonight!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
.......like a baby......thanks Hans.....by the way....have you met 'Pete'....I was wondering if maybe Guild could send me a new top piece to replace the one that shrunk, or to just touch up the surround with black.....or leave it alone.....Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
.....by the way....have you met 'Pete'....

No I haven't, but I've met his 'guitar guy'. Nice bloke!

I was wondering if maybe Guild could send me a new top piece to replace the one that shrunk, or to just touch up the surround with black.....or leave it alone.....Steffan

If it has shrunk a lot, touching it up won't make it look right. What guitar are we talking about?
I'm not sure if they would still have the correct one for an older guitar. It would be costly to have a 'period correct' replica made.

Show me a clear shot of the front of the headstock!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Pike

Reaction score
Wonder if Pete knew his "crop" was visible in the pic...