D25 vs D4 whats the difference?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Those '90s D4Gs are finished with a water based lacquer. Not "Nitro", as the D25s are.
And NOT to ignite that sort of powder keg.
:lol:
And boy those guys at Westerly sure knew how to keep a fella from gettin' bored of the same ol' thing every year, eh? :lol:

Don

Reaction score
No nitro eh? Perhaps that explains why there are no finish cracks on my son's guitar. Damned thing looks brand new.

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
johnny3j said:
Splitting hairs maybe, but my info is that the original D25 had a mahogany top and flat back from 1968 until 1973, then an arched back and hog top briefly, until it changed to an arched back and spruce top (dark stained/cherry/SB/NT) from 1974 onwards.
IMHO the biggest difference is the hog top, unless you're referring to post 1974 D25 models.
You're right. I kind of assumed the comparison would be between the ones that were made at the same time, since that's why the question always gets asked. (D4 was introduced in '91) :wink:

IMHO, the type of wood used on the top is the biggest difference, its what defines the guitar.
Spruce is softwood and mahogany is hardwood, right there is the difference between what Guild intended as the model D25 and any later variants.
The original Guild D25 (1968-1973) is the only all hog (top, back & sides) dreadnaught that Guild ever produced until they reissued it as the GAD 25 in 2005 also as a hog top.
I agree with that decision but I still wonder why Guild changed the top in 1974.
It would be interesting to find out if Hans has any insight.

plaidseason

Reaction score
johnny3j said:
adorshki said:
johnny3j said:
Splitting hairs maybe, but my info is that the original D25 had a mahogany top and flat back from 1968 until 1973, then an arched back and hog top briefly, until it changed to an arched back and spruce top (dark stained/cherry/SB/NT) from 1974 onwards.
IMHO the biggest difference is the hog top, unless you're referring to post 1974 D25 models.
You're right. I kind of assumed the comparison would be between the ones that were made at the same time, since that's why the question always gets asked. (D4 was introduced in '91) :wink:

IMHO, the type of wood used on the top is the biggest difference, its what defines the guitar.
Spruce is softwood and mahogany is hardwood, right there is the difference between what Guild intended as the model D25 and any later variants.
The original Guild D25 (1968-1973) is the only all hog (top, back & sides) dreadnaught that Guild ever produced until they reissued it as the GAD 25 in 2005 also as a hog top.
I agree with that decision but I still wonder why Guild changed the top in 1974.

The Corona D25s were all solid mahogany as well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
johnny3j said:
I do hope you're not implying that hardwoods are by definition harder than softwoods, although there is a somewhat general correlation. But balsa wood is a hardwood. Technically it refers to whether or not the tree is an angiosperm or gymnosperm, the seed covering or lack thereof. Also hardwoods tend to have longer fibers than softwoods. Relevant to the papermaking industry in which I work.
Doesn't in any way change the fact that sure, 'hog and spruce will sound differrent.

johnny3j said:
Except for D15, D16 and D17 and the Corona D25's as mentioned.
johnny3j said:
I agree with that decision but I still wonder why Guild changed the top in 1974. It would be interesting to find out if Hans has any insight.
Yes it would. 8)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't see any back braces, so I would assume that it has an arched (and thus laminated) back.

I have never heard of a mahogany-topped D-4... The top pic does resemble the grain of mahogany, but the pic quality leaves a questionmark in my mind. The label clearly says mahogany... but whether that means wood or stain, I don't know. Maybe a one-of (or few-of)?

Hans?

ehmaho

Reaction score
Can't date it either. the serial number on this D4 is AD401969 there are no records after AD401129 in 1997. http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Resourc ... dating.htm

This is what the owner says.
hi, I am away from the guitar until tomorrow morning.. from what I can tell it is a flat back, but contrary to what the forums say the flat back version (the dv4) should have bracing which mine does not so I assume it must be a laminate? the lable on the inside definitely says 'mahog' which again I assumed referred to the top construction.... I've done a google image search for d4 mahogany and there are others out there with the same coloured tops, I'd have said it was too dark for a spruce, even cedar top.. I've been checking on letstalkguild.com and there seems to be conflicting information.. it would appear my guild is pre fender ownership.. perhaps a last run from westerly? ill do.some more digging though.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ehmaho said:
Can't date it either. the serial number on this D4 is AD401969 there are no records after AD401129 in 1997.

That's a regular D-4 with a mahogany top from 1998. It was an option that didn't cost extra. They did plenty of those, but only for a short period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

ehmaho

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses :) does anyone have any links on this flatback all mahogany D4 it would be interesting to find out more about it.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ehmaho said:
does anyone have any links on this flatback all mahogany D4 it would be interesting to find out more about it.

Hello ehmaho,

That D4 with the mahogany top isn't a flat back guitar. It has an arched laminated mahogany back.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Well I'm glad someone has shed some light on my guitar (the one in the eBay listing) I was beginning to doubt my own sanity as I couldn't find any info on a mahogany top version either.. shame I've got to see it go.. it does sound beautiful.

Reaction score
johnny3j said:
adorshki said:
johnny3j said:

I apologize upfront if I'm buttin' in, but....

I'm in the hunt, today I played a DM25 (on label), High Gloss, Red (dark Cherry), so thick I asked if it had been refinished (no), loud strong bass, the owner said it was a 1983 and all hog, there were no back braces and it was arched.... Is the date wrong? Is the back laminated? Is $800 within fair range?
Caution says "spend no dime till it's time".
Many thanks,
in Florida,
Bud

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Budman1010 said:
I apologize upfront if I'm buttin' in, but....

I'm in the hunt, today I played a DM25 (on label), High Gloss, Red (dark Cherry), so thick I asked if it had been refinished (no), loud strong bass, the owner said it was a 1983 and all hog, there were no back braces and it was arched.... Is the date wrong? Is the back laminated? Is $800 within fair range?
Many thanks,
in Florida,
Bud
Welcome to the mad house, Bud.

An '83 D-25M would have a solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides, and arched laminated mahogany back. The "M" in the model designation is for "mahogany"... referring to the stained top. There was actually a "cherry" model that is redder.

IMO, $800 is near the high end of the range for a D-25, if it's in great condition. With patience and luck, a nice D-25 from the mid-'70s to '80s in VG condition can be found on eBay for $550-$700 or so.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Budman1010 said:
Many thanks,
in Florida,
Bud
Hi Bud:
I have an '83 D-25. Gardman's specs are accurate, and so are his price estimates.

I love my D-25. I don't think that I'll ever sell it. However, if someone offered me $800......
(In other words, $800 is high for this guitar).

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
Ross said:
I love my D-25. I don't think that I'll ever sell it. However, if someone offered me $800......
(In other words, $800 is high for this guitar).
Any pics? :wink:

Joe
As a matter of fact, I do. Unfortunately, I've never figured out the finer points of posting them here. On my one-and-only attempt, they came out much to small to be of use, smaller than thumbnails (finishing nails perhaps? :lol: ). I haven't bothered to work out the proper sizing requirements. As an experienced poster, could you advise?