Truss rod tool?

cjd-player

Reaction score
I can't recall if my CO-1C used a hex socket (for an allen wrench) or a nut at the end of the truss rod.

I'm thinking it was a nut. In which case you just need to measure the nut and buy the appropriate nut driver.
It's probably 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch.

nutdriver.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The "vintage" tool was a 1/4 nut driver. I'd try that first since there is no real good reason for Guild to change.

GuildWrench%20001.jpg

GuildWrench%20003.jpg

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Tools in Imperial units might not be available in Sweden. Try a 6 or 7 mm socket. It won't fit exactly, but should do the job.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ross said:
Tools in Imperial units might not be available in Sweden. Try a 6 or 7 mm socket. It won't fit exactly, but should do the job.

I was thinking they were English units but you're right - we Americans (as in USA since Canada is also in North America) are pretty much the last bastion of non-metric units.

So would a GAD truss rod be adjusted with a metric sized socket wrench or would they also be made to specifications in English units?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need a thin-wall socket to avoid damaging the wood around the groove(s).

Stewart-MacDonald has gobs of tools for each type of instrument; might be helpful to look there.

cjd-player

Reaction score
Ross said:
Don't think I'd go there.
If you round the corners of that nut you could be in a real pickle.
Use the correct tool for the job.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My Tacoma D-40 came (new) with a nut adjustment tool included in the glove box. It works on my Westerly and Tacoma models regardless of age. The only other Guilds that I purchased new (F-512, D-55, & F-40) did not include the tool. Haven't quite figured out why they didn't/don't include them with all newly purchased guitars.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The New Hartford Guilds come with a tool (at least the 12s do) because they've moved to a double-action truss rod. Comes in a neat Guild plastic pouch too. :)

IMG_2764.jpg

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
My Tacoma D-40 came (new) with a nut adjustment tool included in the glove box. It works on my Westerly and Tacoma models regardless of age. The only other Guilds that I purchased new (F-512, D-55, & F-40) did not include the tool. Haven't quite figured out why they didn't/don't include them with all newly purchased guitars.

It is an extra couple of bucks per instrument and sometimes and at high production volumes, that is a factor.

By including the tool the company is implying that they advocate the use of the tool by the end user. There are many ways to break a neck by mis-adjusting a truss rod and it may be that the warranty liability of putting the tool in the hands of idiots who are going to use it and probably not read instructions may exceed whatever benefit there is to the educated user. "No user serviceable parts" comes immediately to mind.

My experience has been that items that can be "field repaired" or adjusted by an end user with a certain amount of intelligence often are high end products in a niche but because they are high end they do include some of the required tools. The price increases the likelihood that the purchaser is willing and able to take care of the item.

I am assuming you mean a nut driver to adjust the truss rod when you say "nut adjustment tool". If that is not the case then please tell me more about that particular guitar tool since I have never heard of it. (Notice the tap dancing to avoid referring to something as just a "nut adjustment tool". Some jokes have already been rehashed too much).

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is the Truss Rod Tool (TRT) that came with the D-40. Nut adjustment wrench (NAW) one end and screw removal tool (SRT) on the other:

MaddieMarleyMay2011037.jpg

MaddieMarleyMay2011036.jpg

From Charlie's pic, it appears NH has gone to an Allen Wrench Screw Hidden Inside Tool (AWSHIT) arrangement...

cjd-player

Reaction score
Scratch said:
From Charlie's pic, it appears NH has gone to an Allen Wrench Screw Hidden Inside Tool (AWSHIT) arrangement...
Isn't progress wonderful? :mrgreen:

Looks like your military acronym training is paying off, Ken. :lol: :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
This is the Truss Rod Tool (TRT) that came with the D-40. Nut adjustment wrench (NAW) one end and screw removal tool (SRT) on the other:

MaddieMarleyMay2011037.jpg

MaddieMarleyMay2011036.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

West

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:

Ken,

Maybe you missed it, but there was a truss rod tool in the case with Amigo when it arrived

IMG_2764.jpg

Same neato bag, too! 8)

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
To answer Frono's question, the GAD (at least my 30PCE) is adjusted by an Allen wrench from inside the sound hole, like many Asian guitars. One came with mine when I bought it new, in a little zip lock bag with the case key.

On the other hand, my (Tacoma) D55 came with an oweners manual and fancier case keys, but not adjustment tool. Seems to me I have had to use a kind of deep 1/4" socket on my D55, though it has been so long since I did any adjustment I cannot remember clearly. I did have to finally have a (Guild Service approved) luthier adjust the nut lower for me after about six months after battling playing with it, and she plays much nicer now.

Never adjusted the GAD...had nearly zero relief when I got it and it still is about the same... :)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sandy,
Did the F-40 have an allen screw as the adjustment mechanism? I don't think I ever adjusted that one so I just took it for granted it was a 1/4" nut...