'63 Guild X-175 Deluxe

doozyman

Reaction score
Hey there Guild-o-philes. Just joined up but have been a long time Guild archtop enthusiast. Thought I'd post some pics of a guitar I've had for some 12 years or so, an X-175 Deluxe, all mahogany in cherry red finish. Got in touch with Hans back at the time and he included a couple black and white snaps in the back of the book, but below are a few color pics. Unoriginal '50s Guild brown case, replacement bridge, refretted years ago with larger frets, and last year out of nowhere the treble pickup stopped working. Luckily I had another pair of original '63 Guild humbuckings that came from a regular X-175 I have that the owner put Gibson P-90s in (another pretty cool guitar), so I had a replacement in hand. Otherwise original, nice finish, and lots of playwear on the back of the neck. Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,
Doug Freeman
Los Angeles, CA

x175d.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful Doug, and welcome aboard! I love mine, too.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice to have a sweetheart like that :shock: in your life...very very nice....Steffan

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
doozyman said:
Hey there Guild-o-philes. Just joined up but have been a long time Guild archtop enthusiast. Thought I'd post some pics of a guitar I've had for some 12 years or so, an X-175 Deluxe, all mahogany in cherry red finish. Got in touch with Hans back at the time and he included a couple black and white snaps in the back of the book, but below are a few color pics.

Hello Doug,

Welcome ...... and good to see you here! I'm not sure when was the last time that we were in contact, but it may have been before the book came out. Anyway, I've found out some interesting facts re. the X-175 Deluxe since then. I'm a little busy right now but I'll try to find the details in my database tomorrow or so and I will get back here after that.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Deluxe, indeed! Nice guitar. Kolb tuners and shield logo go great together. The body looks mighty clean too if you say there's play wear on the neck. That one's been well taken care of by the looks of it.

Ravon

Reaction score
The brown color, the ebony board and bound f holes... absolutely stunning :shock: Thanks for sharing that

Zelja

Reaction score
Gorgeous! I have started to consider getting a birth year guitar & that one qualifies.

skinny

Reaction score
Welcome Doug,
That sure is gorgeous, and not a scratch on her!!

skinny

Thunderface

Reaction score
Welcome Doug. There are introductions and there are introductions, and that is an introduction. Beautiful guitar. The photos are stunning.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Doug! That is one SWEET LOOKING GUILD! 8)

doozyman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice replies. Yes, there's wear that doesn't show up in the pics. Very shallow buckle rash, finish wear on binding edges, little nicks and dings, the peghead face is a little cloudy probably from sitting in a store window, and the back of the neck is 50% worn to wood. I'm happy to say I put a lot of that wear on the guitar because I played it exclusively in a western swing band for the first six or so years I had it. It's sat largely unplayed since then. These days I gig with a new Gretsch G110CE and record with a new "The Loar' 16" archtop. It's nice to have the old Guilds in the back pocket, but as with the other vintage stuff sometimes I wonder why--there aren't enough hours to use it all.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Stunning! One of the prettiest Guilds I've seen. Between the color and the condition I'm insanely jealous.

doozyman

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Welcome. I believe that a hog X175 is rare. Also, the case might be original because Guild used ones like that into 1963.
Nope, case isn't original, at least not to this specific guitar. Was playing a gig with several other bands one night, years ago, and a kid came in carrying a Yamaha flat top acoustic that case. Told him I had an old Guild guitar meant for that old brown case, asked him if he'd trade it for a brand new black hardshell case, and he said sure. Straight across. We were both happy.