Guild DC5E/DCE5 Value Question

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the Blue Book value, or Vintage Guitar Guide value, of a 1994 DCE-5 in Sunburst. The label actually says DC-5-E SB, but it is basically an early DCE-5, with the earlier Guild branded Fishman electronics, rather than the later barn door style preamp.

As far as condition, it is pretty rough, with quite a few nicks and dings and general wear, but the main issue is that it has a repaired crack that goes from the top of the soundhole to the treble end of the fretboard, along the same line as the fretboard. It is about a half inch long, and goes through the rosette, and appears to be cleated by a dark piece of wood, possibly ebony, but not sure.

If anyone could help me with valuation on this guitar, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if the Blue Book or Vintage Guitar Guide provide general guidelines about condition, I would appreciate that information as well. Thank you.

Edit: This is for player's value, not collector's, if that wasn't obvious or if it makes a difference.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't tell you Blue Book or Vintage Guitar Guide value, but here's my S.W.A.G. based on years of monitoring used Guild prices, and considering your description of the guitar: about $500 with OSHC.

Dadaist

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
I can't tell you Blue Book or Vintage Guitar Guide value, but here's my S.W.A.G. based on years of monitoring used Guild prices, and considering your description of the guitar: about $500 with OSHC.
Good guess....the low BB on that guitar is $575. VG Price Guide doesn't list it.

David

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[quote="Dadaist
Good guess....the low BB on that guitar is $575. VG Price Guide doesn't list it.

David[/quote]

It's listed in my 2009 VG price guide as DCE True American
DCE1 400 - 650
DCE5: 450 - 700

I overpaid for mine at $700, it arrived with some undisclosed, moderate finish crazing. Otherwise it's straight & clean.

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. That was about what I had figured.

I am not sure how much to disclose, but I bought this guitar online last week. The condition was pretty much accurate, as far as the dings and wear, except for some weird finish peeling off the sides of the fretboard. But then within a day of having received it, I noticed the repaired crack, which had not been disclosed by the seller.

I assume that the repaired crack significantly lowers the value, on what was already not a pristine condition instrument. I guess I will go ahead and embarrass myself by saying that I spent $700 plus $25 shipping. Frankly, I am really torn. I love the guitar, it is one of the best sounding steel strings I have ever played, and it really just speaks to me. But with the crack, I know it is not worth it, but all the seller is willing to do is take it back. Any advice?

This was supposed to be my first good steel string. Thanks again.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is also a bit of belly bulge and some warping around the soundhole, either the cause of or caused by the crack or repair.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Winged,

Welcome aboard.

What else is wrong with the guitar??? How tall is the saddle & what's the distance between the strings & fretboard at the 12th fret. Do you have any pictures. Close ups of the bridge, saddle, top, neck, would help folks here give you solid advice.

Qvart

Reaction score
$700 is too high IMO. I'd send it back. There are plenty of Guilds in the sea.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with Q; send it back. You'll find a nicer one, maybe here at LTG!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WingedMan said:
This was supposed to be my first good steel string. Thanks again.
Edit: I forgot to mention that there is also a bit of belly bulge and some warping around the soundhole, either the cause of or caused by the crack or repair.
Maybe the way to look at it is: "It's not a 'GOOD' steel string". You can do better.
If you like that one, trust me, you're gonna be knocked out by a Guild in GOOD condition, and there are TONS of fish in the sea in that range. Look for D25's in particular. It was the basis for that family of cutaway electrics anyway. Archbacks do tend to be a bit louder than flatbacks, but you might also want to consider D30's and D40's, you might even luck out with the right D50 for that kind of money.
And those are just the dreadnoughts! :lol:
Was the pickup important? That won't be as easy to find, at least a factory-installed one won't be.
Bottom line, yeah, send it back, and be very happy the seller is willing. Sometimes that's a whole OTHER nightmare...

Reaction score
Hello all:
I have been playing Guild guitars since I was a kid. My first Guild was a sexy 1978 S-300-D, sadly I let it go to make a down payment on mint '69 Goldtop Les Paul in 1985 which was a good investment deal, but as my love for Guild guitars blossomed I really began to miss that "brown beauty"! I had also been the proud owner of a 1994 D-15 BK and a wonderful 1984 Black Songbird which was the finest acoustic/electric I have ever owned, While I again let my obsession for other fine guitars cloud my senses, I let both of those guitars go a few years ago to purchase a custom Larrivee OM-3-R which is my main guitar and has been for the longest.

Over the years I began to shy away from Guild as they joined Martin and many of the other major guitar companies with their Mexican and Chinese guitar versions created to grab their share of the money spent by entry and mid-level musicians. I have always had great pride in the American craftsmen who designed and built the American made guitars I own and in my opinion, If had my choice I would rather play one of those beautiful 80's and early 90's Guild acoustics than any Gibson, Martin, and yes even my beautifully crafted Larrivee.

While on a short break from a long and brutal Europian tour I went with my niece to the guitar Center In Saginaw Michigan to help her pick out a good acoustic guitar. She wanted a one of those new Gibson J-15's but after playing 5 or 6 of them she was sadly disappointed in their feel and lack of warmth. I didn't think she should spend three or four thousand for "real" Gibson acoustic and we were almost going to call it a day when she spotted a very clean 1994 Guild DC5E, and it was on sale for $434.00 including the OHSC! After playing it for about 5 minutes both she and I were blown away at how beautiful it looked and played, and even with the hpl back and sides it outperformed that $1500 Gibson J-15 and while I am not a fan of those 90's Fishman systems it was still better sounding than many of the higher priced systems in both the Gibson and Larrivee lines.

While she went off and paid for her new guitar the salesman brought out a 1979 F-30 in sunburst for me to look at. The tuners had been replaced with newer looking mini Grovers and it had an aftermarket LR baggs pickup system installed, but in my opinion, both only made the guitar play better while slightly increasing the value of this fine guitar. It almost seemed like guys at Guitar Center was trying to get rid of both of these wonderful Guild Guitars. So after some very intent inspection of this sexy 1979 Guild F-30, I was informed it was on sale for only $975.00 and included a Guild case from a newer Guild. Well, it didn't matter to me because this Guild outplayed my coveted Larrivee OM-3-R and was $2000 cheaper! lol As it turned out the store's biggest seller was Taylor acoustics which I have never liked!!

While I have always wished I never let my old Songbird and D-15 go I was able to recapture some of the joy of those old days while guitar shopping with my niece who is now the proud owner of her first Guild and I now have a new main axe! :)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...1994 Guild DC5E... even with the hpl back and sides...

Welcome to LTG!

Just to clarify... "hpl" (= high pressure laminate) is usually used to refer to a "wood" product made of layers of paper impregnated with phenolic resin and bonded under high pressure (formica is an example). To my knowledge, Guild never made guitars with hpl back/sides, in this sense of the word.

Guild's arched laminated backs were made 1 ply (layer) of a filler WOOD (poplar, soft maple, or other) sandwiched between veneers of traditional tone WOOD (maple, mahogany, and in a few instances, rosewood) and glued/bonded under high pressure. So while, in a sense, they are a "high pressure laminate," they are a laminate of wood... and are a very different product than some of the modern HPL guitars. Guild used these arched, unbraced, laminated backs on many entry-level models (D-4, D-5, D-15/16/17, D-25 series), but they were also used on some of Guilds flagship models, like the maple F-50.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
we were almost going to call it a day when she spotted a very clean 1994 Guild DC5E, and it was on sale for $434.00 including the OHSC! After playing it for about 5 minutes both she and I were blown away at how beautiful it looked and played, and even with the hpl back and sides it outperformed that $1500 Gibson J-15 and while I am not a fan of those 90's Fishman systems it was still better sounding than many of the higher priced systems in both the Gibson and Larrivee lines.

Hi Wordsman, welcome aboard (and home)! :friendly_wink:
HOW often do we here that about value for price around here?
What Gardman said about "HPL" is technically true but because of your previous D15 experience I'm gonna chalk it up :"casual usage" of the term on your part.
Those backs were after all glued then pressed in a steam press and that is pretty high pressure
Lots of lovers of pics and soundclips here too, betcha that F30'll get some wolf whistles!