F47R opinions

Reaction score
Would F47R and F47RC owners care to comment on their instruments? I really like the specs on them but I have only played a F30 and a few GAD guitars in local shops

I am looking for a new guitar that is comfortable up the neck good for bar chords etc. My playing is getting more jazz like lately but I still want to stick with flat tops.
I definitely like the 12 inch fingerboard radius on Guilds and its one of the only big brand guitar makers that offer that radius besides Gibson.

So I have narrowed my choice to a Gibson small body or a Guild small body. I owned a d25 guild ages ago and always like the quality of them.

tnx all

Reaction score
I own a F47RC now for about 2 years. The guitars plays and sounds excellent. I felt this was a good choice as this was my first Guild. I do own a Martin D28 and Gibson J45. I don't believe the F47 plays as well as those two insturments but the sound is comparable. I hope this helps.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
A Guild or a Gibson small body huh? May I ask which Gibson you are looking at? I have played quite a few and some are good and some are not. For example, I played a L-00 reissue that was one of the best guitars I have ever played, but it was $5K :shock: . On the other end of the spectrum, I have tried reissues of an LG2 and a B25 that were very very sup par. They played like small guitars in that there was a very thin and non-complex sound.

The F47R is not a small guitar. Yes, not as big as a dread, but does have a 16" lowerbout and a deep body. That, paired with the full 25.5" scale will make for a loud and full instrument while still being very well balanced. So, it is a big guitar to me, but I have smaller guitars. :D The sound is quite nice and full on all I have played (but I have only played those out of Tacoma). I was considering one earlier this year, and still am.

F312

Reaction score
I have an F47R (Tacoma) and it's my most frequently played guitar. Fine quality, sound, looks great and plays easy.

Ralph

marcellis

Reaction score
It's the next Guild I want. If anyone has an antique burst F47 Rosewood cutaway to trade for a D60' PM me.

Reaction score
tnks everyone

I now realize that the body is quite deep on the F-47 - at the moment I am playing a 00-18V and a telecaster so whenever I try out a dread or deep bodied guitar it feels gigantic.
I am now thinking of the new f-30 cutaway or a 000-28. I really want the 1 11/16 nut with an oval shaped neck on this next guitar.
Trying to keep the budget under $2500

Ridgemont

Reaction score
ray40 said:
tnks everyone

I now realize that the body is quite deep on the F-47 - at the moment I am playing a 00-18V and a telecaster so whenever I try out a dread or deep bodied guitar it feels gigantic.
I am now thinking of the new f-30 cutaway or a 000-28. I really want the 1 11/16 nut with an oval shaped neck on this next guitar.
Trying to keep the budget under $2500
The F30 cutaway you are referring to is the Standard Series F30R (rosewood)? If so, it has the 1&3/4" modern nut. The rosewood version does sound quite nice, but I was turned off my the finish and general overall downgraded look of the guitar. I did not care for the mahogany equivalent. But tonewise, the F30R is really great....

I have not played a Standard Series 000-28. They have straight braces unlike the F30R (scalloped) so it may not sound as full. I have seen youtube demonstrations of the 000-28 and it sounds attractive. I am currently on the hunt for a pre-'85 000-28 with the full profile neck. But if your budget is $2.5K, do yourself a favor and check this out:
http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/produc ... 277&page=1
I bought this earlier this year. Hands down one of the best small body rosewood guitars I have ever played. Basically it is a 000-28 with scalloped braces and better appointments. It is structurally identical to the Eric Clapton 000-28, but I have not played an 000-28EC that sounds as good. I chose this over the F30R FWIW.

Reaction score
great minds think alike!

I have seen that amber 000-28h at mfg - just might pull the trigger

Ridgemont

Reaction score
ray40 said:
great minds think alike!

I have seen that amber 000-28h at mfg - just might pull the trigger
It really is just flippin' fantastic. When I got it, it was somewhat bass heavy, so much that the treble got drowned out. The trebles were somewhat compressed as well. Well 5 months later, the trebles caught up and now are just piercing and accompanied with a full deep bass. The scalloped braces make is both responsive and loud.

jte

Reaction score
Not an F47R, but I love my F47CE (mahogany, cutaway, electric due to the Fishman blender). I got it specifically for use as a stage guitar, but I've grown to like it as my go-to acoustic for sitting around the house as well. The neck is perfect for me too. Not too wide, but certainly not too narrow either. And I'd prefer wider over narrow any day for chording.

John

satirikus

Reaction score
Today I ordered an F47R natural. Hard to get this guitar here in Germany, had to ask many shops to get one. But next week she will arrive. :D

Perhaps I'll post some pictures. Or words. Or both. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey satirikus, post BOTH, please!!! Love to see pics of the new guitar once you get it. That's gonna be a fun day. So, I vote PICS and WORDS..... both. And a belated welcome to the forum! :D

shepke

Reaction score
I've had a Tacoma F47R for about 14 months now and it keeps getting better and better. I especially like the added sonic depth the deeper body combined with the rosewood. If I have any complaint at all, I wish it had a slighly shallower neck profile like my D40.

satirikus

Reaction score
Just kidding. I slept well. :)

May I intruduce you to Jas, my new hm sort of girlfriend:

JAS1.jpg

First of all, it's hard to stop playing. Hard to stop smiling (but I don't need to stop that so I keep on smiling). And hard to take pictures which represent the beauty of this wonderful instrument.
Anyway! I'll try.

Headstock and fretboard

JAS2.jpg

Fretboard

JAS3.jpg

Soundboard (amazing)

JAS4.jpg

Whole body

JAS5.jpg

Back(did I told you anything about amazing parts of a guitar yet?)

JAS6.jpg

Neck

JAS7.jpg

Headstock from behind

JAS8.jpg

Don't know how you call this view. Let's call it amazing.

JAS9.jpg

Bridge

JAS10.jpg

Please tell me if these are too many or to big pictures. Then I'll edit it. With smaller pictures. Or perhaps just one.

It is to soon for a detailed review but this guitar from now on is my most precious thing I possess.

shepke

Reaction score
Looks great. Congratulations! You're gonna love it. It's almost the same as mine except for the strap button and the natural finish (mine's an ice tea burst).

satirikus

Reaction score
First impressions:

- the rosewood fretboard smells wonderful.
- in some posts the sound was described as muddy - I can't understand this at all - the sun shines...
- ... even there is a rich deep fundament. Like big soft clouds your kid draws near the sun in a clear blue sky picture.
- Ridgemont wrote that the F47R is not a small guitar. He's right...
- ... but I (5.8 ft. tall) can definitely sit comfortable on the couch and play this guitar. And my comfortable sitting style is something every orthopedist would describe as self-destructive.
- compared to the guitars I previously owned this is no guitar. It's a dream.

I'll write a more useful review in some weeks. :)

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
satirikus said:
First impressions:

- the rosewood fretboard smells wonderful.
Grüß Gott, Satiricus.

- It smells great from here! And these are just photos from thousands of miles away!

satirikus said:
- in some posts the sound was described as muddy - I can't understand this at all - the sun shines...
- ... even there is a rich deep fundament. Like big soft clouds your kid draws near the sun in a clear blue sky picture.
- it sounds wonderful... wait...where are the recordings you promised? :D

satirikus said:
- Ridgemont wrote that the F47R is not a small guitar. He's right...
- ... but I (5.8 ft. tall) can definitely sit comfortable on the couch and play this guitar. And my comfortable sitting style is something every orthopedist would describe as self-destructive.
- Orthopaedists don't know everything! :D

satirikus said:
- compared to the guitars I previously owned this is no guitar. It's a dream.
It's better than a dream... it's a Guild!

I love the photos! Add some sounds! :lol:

Christopher

satirikus

Reaction score