One Fanstatic Guild...highly modified JF-30...

Willy

Reaction score
Here's a video of the mod's, too bad I don't speak French! Maybe someone out there can fill us in on the details.

http://youtu.be/RNSRDSAxkuM

original neck

new oversized fretboard scalloped between frets

changed from 12 to 10 strings but offset from fretboard so there's about an inch of open fretboard before the first string on the high side but the low side strings are off the fretboard and it has a cantilevered nut

this is real different

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Incredible! Maybe bluesy will see this and give us the translation.

I only see 8 strings?

Dave :D

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Willy said:
Here's a video of the mod's, too bad I don't speak French! Maybe someone out there can fill us in on the details.

Paging Pascal. Come in bluesypicky.

Edit: Not as quick on the draw as I thought. That does bring to mind, however, how the international readership of LTG benefits all of us.

micklevanon

Reaction score
This is way cool!

<I only see 8 strings?
>

The top string, closest to your chest, is a single, however the next two are doubled up, the bottom five are all single. Tuning is interesting: D D/D D/A E A G B E from top to bottom with the D/D combo an octave apart.

At least that's what I can discern from the French. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

cheers
m

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Willy said:

Here’s what my rather rusty franco-ears picked up (it helps that he speaks with a French-Canadian accent :D ):

He’s a Canadian luthier, Michel Pellerin. He modified the guitar for Gino Fillion

The Guild is the second attempt at these modifications. His first was on a Norman guitar.

The fingerboard was widened, and scooped between the frets, to allow extreme bending of notes. The strings that are “above” the fingerboard obviously cannot be fretted. He calls these “supplementary” strings. They can be tuned to add the desired notes to the piece that’s being played – eg to construct a minor or 7th chord.

He did the cutaway, cutting the pickguard as well. A larger nut and saddle were used. He mentions that they had trouble finding an undersaddle pickup that was long enough to fit under the longer saddle – they used an LR Baggs.

The guitar has 10 strings; only 2 are doubled like you’d see on a regular 12-string. On the head, extra pins were added to allow the supplementary strings to be wound onto the existing tuners.

He turns the guitar over to show the extra-wide fingerboard from the rear. Interestingly, when the camera zooms in on the back of the head, I can see clearly the logo “Steve’s” meaning Steve’s Music, a large store in Montreal, Toronto & Ottawa.

micklevanon

Reaction score
That modified Norman B-20 is also fascinating, with 9 courses of strings, the uppermost doubled up as an octave. Extra wide neck but no scallops on that. He also created the cutaway for that one.

I saw the Steve's logo, thought that interesting. Beautiful work. Beautiful playing. I can't believe how much he bends that high E without breaking it.

cheers
m

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
micklevanon said:
This is way cool!

<I only see 8 strings?
>

The top string, closest to your chest, is a single, however the next two are doubled up, the bottom five are all single. Tuning is interesting: D D/D D/A E A G B E from top to bottom with the D/D combo an octave apart.

At least that's what I can discern from the French. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

cheers
m

Your French is better than my eyes!

Dave :D