1970's Guild D55

Ridgemont

Reaction score
So is it safe to say that from 1981 to present, the D55 had scalloped braces?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a copy of Beesley's book. It is good for what it is, basically just a spartan list of common specs (woods, binding, headstock style, etc) up to ~94-95. Some of the changes in model specs are given, but not all. B&W catalog images for many models. It does say that the D-55 was discontinued in '86, and re-introduced in 1990 with scalloped bracing. I know my '92 does have scalloped bracing...

Ridgemont

Reaction score
hojo199 said:
I always assumed my 1980 D50 has scalloped bracing. It sure SOUNDS like it does :lol:
When you get a chance, stick a mirror or your hand in the soundhole to find out.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hojo199 said:
I always assumed my 1980 D50 has scalloped bracing. It sure SOUNDS like it does :lol:
I don't think an 80 D-50 would have scalloped bracing from the factory. Scalloping wasn't introduced until later.

The Mid-80s (83-84) D-52s were essentially D-50s with scalloped bracing.

It's also important to note that owners/players have been known to modify the braces after the fact... for example, my '76 D-50 has had its braces shaved.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
creeksideguy said:
I have a D-55 made in 1981 that has scalloped bracing and my `81 D-25 doesn`t. Just for the record.
Lee
D25's never got scalloped bracing...or was that deadpan delivery humor ? :)

jazzmang

Reaction score
Up til Tacoma, nothing but the D-55 (and DV-52+) series had scalloped bracing (I'm talking about standard traditional models only here, not Gruhn series, 100 series, Custom Shop, etc...)

6L6

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

As for scalloped braces, my 2006 D-55 sure has them.

I bought her new and she has many, many gigs under her belt in the past 6yrs. Never let me down once and the tone/playability/sustain are just fantastic!

BTW, I equipped my D-55 with a Fishman Matrix pickup when I bought it and that system has never let me down either.

Pics:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

2006 Guild D-55

If you're wondering, "Yes" I did replace the original pickguard with a black one. Just my color preference!

I must thank Fender Customer Relations for the pickguard. I called them and asked where I could find one and they just said, "Watch your mailbox." It showed up shortly thereafter, free of charge.

I had Gary Brawer in San Francisco install it for me. Took him about 10 minutes.

Bill

'72 G-37
'74 D-40 (my Fav)
'76 F-50SB
'06 D-55
'06 F-412

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
6L6 said:
If you're wondering, "Yes" I did replace the original pickguard with a black one. Just my color preference!

I must thank Fender Customer Relations for the pickguard. I called them and asked where I could find one and they just said, "Watch your mailbox." It showed up shortly thereafter, free of charge.

Bill

'72 G-37
'74 D-40 (my Fav)
'76 F-50SB
'06 D-55
'06 F-412
I like it. Just for the sake of perspective, when was that?

6L6

Reaction score

I bought the guitar new in March 2006. I immediately contacted Fender about getting the black pickguard.

Bill

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great move from Fender... yet another show of them doing the right / smart thing.
It doesn't surpise me a bit after having had the opportunity to meet with them last October. The thing I noticed right away, is how these guys (in addition to being very motivated and enthusiastic about their Guild endeavor) are in touch with reality. And that's rather rare nowdays with people "in charge".
So, good on them, and on ya Bill! :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
6L6 said:
I bought the guitar new in March 2006. I immediately contacted Fender about getting the black pickguard.
Bill
NO snarkiness intended, I wonder if they're still capable of those kinds of "gestures". It really does say something about where their "Customer Relations" heart truly lies.
I was also impressed with how they handled an inquiry I made in March of '03, but that was so long ago, and that's why I was curious about the time frame of your experience. Thanks.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
6L6 said:
Bill
NO snarkiness intended, I wonder if they're still capable of those kinds of "gestures". It really does say something about where their "Customer Relations" heart truly lies.
I was also impressed with how they handled an inquiry I made in March of '03, but that was so long ago, and that's why I was curious about the time frame of your experience. Thanks.

Dealing with my D-40, I had recent experience with the Fender customer relations folks out in Arizona. I thought they were great. Answered all of my questions, even when it involved transferring me over to a repair guru for more technical info. My follow-up actions based on their information have so far gone very smoothly.

Dave :D

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard!!

D55, to words....BRUNETTE BOMBSHELL!! :mrgreen:

Reaction score
Same Guitar!

I've got the exact same guitar but mine is sunburst. 1976 Guild D55. Great guitar. Excellent sound.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've got the exact same guitar but mine is sunburst. 1976 Guild D55. Great guitar. Excellent sound.
I see a first post, welcome aboard!
John, I don't know if you realized it but the last post in this thread was about 4-1/2 years ago, "not that there's anything wrong with that", :biggrin-new:
It's easy to lose track of the post dates if you're just going through old threads and we chuckle about it sometimes.
Moderator Frono even calls 'em "necrothreads".
In this case though it was kind of interesting to be reminded of what Fender's Customer Service stance was at the time, might prove to be something Cordoba Music Group would want to know in building owner loyalty under the new ownership.
So, where ya from?
Lots of folks enjoy seeing introductory threads, maybe the story about how you came by your D55? Pics?
:friendly_wink:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey johnga, welcome. Maybe start a new post and introduce yourself formally. Maybe some photos of that beautiful burst D55?? That would me awesome!! :encouragement: