NGD - 1983 D35

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My new girl, a 1983 D-35, relaxing in my reading chair after the two-day trip in the back of a Fed Ex truck from her former home in northern Ohio with Walking Man:

GuildD35FirstDayHome.jpg

I wanted a mahogany dreadnought to compare and contrast with my rosewood DV-6, and this is a pristine example. Very clean, a little honest fret and neck wear up in the "cowboy chord" positions, but she plays beautifully and sounds beautiful as well.

Walking Man's description was dead-on, price was very good, and packing job was exemplary - great guy to do business with.

Its very much like the DV-6, but "smaller" -- this will be my "noodling around at 2 am and trying to not wake up the missus" guitar.

The F212XL, on the other hand is the "can you please turn that down" guitar.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a super score!
D35s are great Guilds and one was my first Guild back in 1976!
I've also had the pleasure of owning two others!

Enjoy 'noodling around' at 2 AM, :wink:
Joe

Qvart

Reaction score
Hey! Haven't I seen that one before? Oh yeah. it was mine! :lol:

That's a great guitar. Enjoy!!!

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome! Congratulations!

Qvart

Reaction score
micklevanon said:
Congrats! Beauty, eh?

m

Allow me to answer that... :lol:

(if the new owner doesn't mind me taking the liberty of showing off their new Guild with an old pic...)

YEP!
01.jpg

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to Qvart, Walking Man, and any and all previous owners for taking such good care of her -she is in wonderful condition for a almost 30-year old guitar.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice. My D-35, is a bit older and a bit more "road worn". But she is a terrific guitar with a wonderful, warm sound. "Smaller" is a pretty good adjective. Compared to my D-60, definately smaller.

midnightright

Reaction score
That's a great looking guitar you've got there! I hope it sounds as good as it looks, if not better! Say I'm unfamiliar with this particular model--is it somewhat similar to a D-40? Not that that would help me much, as I don't really know a whole lot about those either....There's an early 70's D-35 at a shop about three hours away from me. It's priced at $599 with a HSC. Does that sound like it's in need of a neck set? Thanks if anybody knows!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
midnightright said:
....There's an early 70's D-35 at a shop about three hours away from me. It's priced at $599 with a HSC. Does that sound like it's in need of a neck set? Thanks if anybody knows!
Don't know how to tell if it's in need of a neck reset just from that info.
Maybe someone wiser in the ways of neck resets will come along...... :? :wink:

Joe

midnightright

Reaction score
Sorry! I just though that if somebody knew that the going rate for these was say $1000, then it might be fair to figure that it had been priced for repairs; such as a neck reset....But I am an idiot!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
midnightright said:
That's a great looking guitar you've got there! I hope it sounds as good as it looks, if not better! Say I'm unfamiliar with this particular model--is it somewhat similar to a D-40? Not that that would help me much, as I don't really know a whole lot about those either....There's an early 70's D-35 at a shop about three hours away from me. It's priced at $599 with a HSC. Does that sound like it's in need of a neck set? Thanks if anybody knows!

Thanks - like I said, for nearly 30-year old guitar she's in beautiful shape.

The D-35 and D-40 are both mahogany body and necks. Here's a comparison of specs and photos from http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com:

D35Specs.jpg

d35-1.jpg

D40Specs.jpg

d40-1.jpg

As you can see from the specs and photos, the D35 is slightly shallower, and is less ornamented. Someone may chime in with a comment on their construction differences.

$599 for an early 70's D35 sounds a little low, but if the guitar is in good shape, would represent a pretty good deal. You won't know unless you go play it.

midnightright

Reaction score
Thank you very much for taking the time to put together that information for me--it was extremely helpful. They sure do look awfully similar to me! I think that your suggestion is spot on, I'm going to have to go check it out. And so long as it's not going to break the bank in order to restore it, it might be a great steal! Thanks & way to go on getting a great one yourself--I hope you really do like it!