NGD: 1993 Guild F30R! The, uh, "Paul Simon Model."

Jahn

Reaction score
Man I am REALLY tired so just a quick update, but it arrived today, and here we go - the step by step.

Step one: you open the Box.

IMG_1657.jpg

Step two: you get that junk out of the box.

IMG_1658.jpg

Step three: you open the case to see the awesome packing job Action Music did!

IMG_1659.jpg

It arrived safe and sound - how could it not, with packing like that? I mean, even the fretboard was protected, that's dedication. Anyhow, it was perfectly tuned down exactly a step, so I stepped it back up to standard, and gave it a long run through. I isolated an odd plasticky overtone that was happening at certain frequencies - it was the LR Baggs soundhole control! Luckily you can pop that plug right off and it's reversible so I unplugged that and took it off the soundhole for use later if I go live or plugged or whatever. Nasty overtones gone, all that remained was gorgeous spruce and rosewood ringing away!

I'll take some nice shots outside tomorrow but for now here's a vidclip of me very tired playing it, and my dog in the middle getting tired of my playing so she throws her ball at me, and there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=genlvGffaF0

Hans, I guess this one's an early one because though the model number is F30R-NT, the serial number does indeed start with GF30, haha. And yep it's to GF50 specs, which is closer to Clapton than Simon.

So here you go: I was thinking this, Paul Simon's F30 Special -

Paul-Simons-Guild-F-30NT-Special.jpg

So I got this:

f30e.jpg

f30r2.jpg

f30r.jpg

f30r1.jpg

Which ended up being more like this:

Eric_Clapton_-_Guild_1988_Front.jpg

Eric_Clapton_-_Guild_1988.jpg

Geo

Reaction score
I want one too. High on my list.

Congrats Jahn!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

George

Jahn

Reaction score
As promised here are the outside shots!

gf2.jpg

gf5.jpg

gf4.jpg

gf3.jpg

Ravon

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and congratulations Jahn. The top silking and back grain patterns are striking and the star markers give it that bling. I bet it sounds wonderful. * edit * just saw the clip. it does sound wonderful. nice playing too :)

Jahn

Reaction score
Thanks! Yep it has a lot of silking and I'll check the braces when I get home!

Jahn

Reaction score
Funny thing is, you've nailed that subconscious thought of mine Treem!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/vie ... o&start=30

If you scroll down to the bunch of guitars behind glass where Carlo Greco worked before he retired, you'll see one black shoulder in the lower row. That's an Everly Brothers model, with the stars on the fretboard. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought "that would be cool to have" but honestly, I've tried them and the short scale and maple body combo didn't do it for me. But, I did like the depth which was short of 5 inches deep, and it was 16 inches wide.

So here comes this F30R, with a 16 inch bout and just under 5 inches deep. With the longer scale, and a solid rosewood back - and those stars! Sold.

Oh and I did some research, yep, they are scalloped braces. Here are some exact details:

Nitro gloss natural finish, Small "Grand Concert" F-size, spruce top, scalloped bracing, solid rosewood back and sides, 14-fret mahogany neck, 20-fret ebony fretboard with star inlays, ebony bridge, black peghead overlay with pearloid "Guild" logo and Chesterfield inlay, white-bound body, b-w-b-w-b-w-b-w top purfling, b-w-b-w back purfling, 16" lower bout, 25.5" scale, 3-11/16" to 4-9/16" body depth, 1-5/8" nut width, gold Grover Rotomatic tuners.

Oh, and I like heavier strings on my acoustics, I feel bad about taking these fresh new DR strings off but hey, gotta be right for me, right? So off they come tonight! I like the 710NM John Pearse strings.

Oh and one more note - great beefy neck in the cowboy chord position at the first frets, but it actually tapers to be thinner as you go up the neck - Faster, upwards and onwards!

6L6

Reaction score
Stunning!!!

Thanks for posting all the cool picks and good job on your playing too.

Bill