Guild Sighting - Bonnie Raitt 06-16-12 in Philly

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
BonnieRaitt06-16-12cropped.jpg
+
Philadelphia's Academy of Music, Saturday night, 06-16-12. With apologies for the crappy pic - it was shot clandestinely from 6 rows back with my Droid Bionic in between rounds by ushers who were shutting down any and all attempts at still photography or videography with any devices.

She alternated between two dual-pickguard F-50's or F-100's (or something similar -both with lots of bling) as her only acoustics on her acoustic numbers. She's a little slip of a girl, and those big ol' Guilds are almost as big as she is.

I. Am. In. Love.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. Man, she's a rocker, I bet that was a great concert!

I heard she took some guitar lessons from Lowell George. That would explain why sometimes when I hear the beginning of a Bonnie Raitt song on the radio, I think "Little Feat." :D

Geo

Reaction score
Bet that was a great show! :mrgreen:

Great seats you had also! 8)

George

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I jumped on those seats as soon as soon as tickets went on sale. Saw her once before in the winter of '73 at Esbjornson Gym at what was then Glassboro State College (now Rowan University). She headlined a bill with John Prine and Jim Croce.

Being Philly and all, there were a lot of callouts for this song (first broadcast in '72 during a live remote from Sigma Sound Studios in Philly by our local album-oriented rock stations, WMMR): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlD4gU7akk

It has to be a gas playing in her band - it is clearly her band, and her chops command respect among her musicians, but everybody gets room to stretch out and demonstrate their own chops.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Prine, Croce, and Raitt? Wow, what a lineup, that had to be one of Croce's last concerts.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Croce died in that plane crash in Louisiana in September of that year.

He was just starting to break, and being from Philly, was getting a lot of airplay on our local album-oriented-rock stations. I think that particular concert may have been broadcast on WYSP, who was trying desperately to compete with the market-leading WMMR.

I remember Bonnie Raitt complaining about how her guitar sounded like a sitar, having just flown in from upstate New York down in the unheated baggage compartment of a Allegheny Airlines (aka "Agony Airlines") commuter plane.

She was touring with Freebo on base, and just the two of them sounded like an entire band.

This past Saturday's concert opened with Mavis Staples, who absolutely tore it up.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Mavis Staples and Bonnie Raitt.... two ladies that make it all seem so effortless and easy... when we know it's NOT!! What a great pairing you got there!! 8)

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ms. Staples brought out Ms. Raitt for a duo rendition of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" during Mavis' set.

Brought the house down.

Reaction score
Living in MN I have seen Bonnie many, many times over the years, to many to count and she is one of the best gifts in music we have. To enjoy the progression of her life and music has been one of the great thrills and influences of life. And to once have shared a bottle of wine with her in the old days is a memory I will take to the grave.
Thanks Bonnie !!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
gjmalcyon said:
Allegheny Airlines (aka "Agony Airlines") commuter plane.

<veer>Mohawk ("Slowhawk") Airlines was bought by Allegheny circa 1972 and the result was referred to as "Slow Agony". </veer>

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
A good friend saw Bonnie last night in Boston, said she played Guilds all night long, alternating between two. Ah...back in the fold, Taylors in the closet?

glawton

Reaction score
I saw her in Boston last night and it was a stellar show.
She was all in.
And she did alternate between 2 Guilds throughout.
G.
PS - her band is nothing short of spectacular, btw.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
glawton said:
PS - her band is nothing short of spectacular, btw.

Her Hammond B3 player, Mike Finnigan (famous in his own right), did a great cover of Ray Charles' "I've Got News for You" that not only brought down the house, but also gave Bonnie a chance to sit back and play some tasty rhythm and fierce lead.

That woman has some serious skills: Every note, bend, hammer-on, hammer-off, strum, finger-pick is cleanly and clearly articulated. And it always seems to be exactly the right number of notes: Not too many, not too few.