new starfire issue already??

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey man, don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say it's normal to have those on a brand new guitar. I just said I've seen finish cracks around the neck joint of a lot of set neck guitars.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't take that as putting words in your mouth, Walter! But as Acornhouse said, you don't expect to find these on a guitar that cost me more than a months pay. If it were a guitar with some mileage on it, it wouldn't be bothersome, it would be part of the mojo. ;-D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
2nevets said:
I just took this out of the case this morning and noticed where the heel meet's the body- the finish is cracking along the seam on both side's-normal? warranty? I am stunned. Any suggestion's please
yeah, looks like she needs to take a trip back to the factory. :(

Best wishes with your fixups, 2nevets!

Jahn

Reaction score
definitely a factory warranty job. look at the edge of the binding where the crack meets the binding. the black ply isn't even in a straight line there anymore, it's like the whole thing shifted at that juncture. yes i'd have them do more than just refin those areas - i'd have them check the stability of that neck joint under warranty.

2nevets

Reaction score
guildman63 said:
All is well here with 2/18, but do keep us updated.
I certainly will keep you guy's updated- as soon as I am done with this rental unit I am woking on I have to bring it to a fender service center

2nevets

Reaction score
looks like it might go back to guild. If they send me a new guitar anyone interested? I alway's loved vintage and i'll swap for the right westerly d55 or jf65

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
2nevets said:
If they send me a new guitar

Does that mean they have to recall all of the GSR Starfires and relabel them as x of 17?

I'm betting you get your guitar back in better shape than before, even if that better shape means all of the finger prints were wiped off and the person who last touched it before putting it in the shipping case wore gloves.

My hunch is that they can't really replace it for you as a limited edition and because it is limited they are probably somewhat embarrassed that it has to come back.

Reaction score
What would rather do, get a different type guitar or have them repair yours? I ask because I wouldn't want to give up mine, the more I play it the more I like it but that may not be the case for everyone. Just curious. Thanks John

2nevets

Reaction score
powerwagonjohn said:
What would rather do, get a different type guitar or have them repair yours? I ask because I wouldn't want to give up mine, the more I play it the more I like it but that may not be the case for everyone. Just curious. Thanks John
i certainly don't want a different one-i hope they build another

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
2nevets said:
i hope they build another
Very unlikely to happen, they only had 18 such special bodies as far as I know, that's why only a limited series of 18 was made! So they will fix yours most probably.
Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
2nevets said:
i hope they build another

Highly unlikely IMO. See the discussion from somewhere that suggests that the GSR Starfires started out as white wood that was in the stockroom somewhere. If that is true then they didn't even have to reprogram the woodworking tools to make these, which means they will have to do so before they can make another one.

Reaction score
I would think they would repair it, as long as the neck is stable and it is only a binding/finish issue. If there is a neck issue i would guess a reset is in order and a refinish.
I still wonder if these were really white wood bodies made somewere else than NH. I was told they were not built elsewere and were completly built in NH. I don't really know for sure but some one does and apparently they are not telling. Either way I hope all works out for you.
Thanks John

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
powerwagonjohn said:
I don't really know for sure but some one does and apparently they are not telling.
John, I really think that is a question for LMGIII later this year. That is probably the only way to find out. Completely made in NH does not say where the white wood body comes from, right? So whoever told you was not wrong in what he said, the guitar is completely made in NH but by using some parts (and a white wood body is just a part, right?) that were made probably somewhere else (as an example, they didn't build and wind the pickups in NH either...).
Ralf

Reaction score
Ralf, I understand what you are saying but the conversation was more involved than what I have stated. We did talk about the actual construction of the whitewood bodies and necks themselves. I think a complete history and and back story would be of interest to all here but especially to owners and future owners. It really doesn't matter in the end as the guitar is what it is and it is a fantastic guitar that I am very happy with.
I am always interested in the history, background, engineering and permutations of all things be it my various years of Power Wagons, my guitars, my library, my town or what ever strikes my fancy. When I bought my Gibson L-4CES I bought books and read everything I could find on the history and construction of these guitars. I have all the parts books and service manuals on Dodge truck from 1916-1980 including Fargo and Plymouth trucks so i guess it's my continuing search for knowledge or maybe I am just ainal.
Thanks John

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would argue some semantics here... I think we're positing that there were 18 or so assembled bodies that were used as a starting point for the SF reissues. I think that an assembled body, even unfinished, is not "parts." Perhaps it's a small point, but I would have a hard time calling such a guitar "completely built in NH."

Cutting, shaping, bracing, and assembling the sound box is a fairly sizable part of what the guys/gals actually do in NH to build a guitar. On that basis, I would say it is misleading to call these "completely built in NH."

Just to be clear... I don't think it really matters, to be honest, because the factory will support and do everything necessary to put their name on it. I am not saying anything to the contrary.

There are other possibilities too... Perhaps some bodies were assembled, some weren't... then, pehaps it's fine... Again, doesn't really matter, although I like John's desire to really know and document.

I'll ask Kim about this when I see him next and see if he knows.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@John: Oh, no question, I am also always interested in those details! Just saying that LMGIII would be probably the best opportunity to talk about that.
@Chazmo: I see your point regarding "Cutting, shaping, bracing, and assembling the sound box". We will learn "the truth" sooner or later I guess..
Ralf