Guild Facebook DV72 Pink Coral..New Pics!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: Guild Facebook DV72 Pink Coral

Nice looking guitar... hope he joins in and posts some more pics!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Yes, some close ups of the fretboard would be great - that is definitely "different"!

walrus

RussB

Reaction score

copied from that facebook page...

Caruso MusicStore

This is John Van Ness from Caruso Music. In 1993 the DV72 Limited Editions were available with either Lapis Lazuli (blue) inlay or Malachite which is most commonly Green. Though there is also a red variation, I don't think Guild used it. This guitar looks like it has pink coral inlays, which were common on the DV76 that year. Given our rich history with Guild, and our proximity to Westerly which is 15 minutes from New London, we have seen many variations of stock models. We also are aware that during the lean years at Guild Westerly it was not uncommon for Guild to allow it's employees to build their own "year-end bonus" guitar in lieu of a bonus in dollars. We have often heard them referred to as "Christmas Guitars" by the locals who worked there. You do seem to have a rare piece there...and it is heartwarming to think that your guitar was a likely a labor of love that someone made for themselves. Ken Nash at The Guitar Mechanic up the street from us may be able to shed some light on what you have and it's rarity as he was Guild's head repair tech for several years. He also has a lot of hard to find Guild parts if anyone needs anything. http://www.theguitarmechanic.com/Guildparts.html

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Any chance someone could post a pic for those of us who are not facebookers?

Thanks in advance.

Dave :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

dapmdave said:

Thanks in advance.

You read my mind Dave.... :lol:
I'd love to see that indeed!

RussB

Reaction score

dapmdave said:

Thanks in advance.

OK

253057_10151200525613571_609977428_n.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Thanks Russ.
Nice "hers" version of the DV72. :shock: Oh no he di-n't!!! :lol:

ladytexan

Reaction score

Shut the front door! :shock: I don't know if I like the pink coral or the herringbone the best...or maybe it's the combination of the two....whatever, it's GORGEOUS! And, this 'her' would luv to have it! 8) :wink:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Russ.

mmmm... a bit too pink for me, but cool nevertheless.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the close-ups, it almost looks more like a pink "pearl," rose quartz, or another stone than coral... not that I am any sort of an expert.

The red coral inlays on my 73 show no figuring or pattern, and it is my understanding (from posts by Hans and West) that the red coral is crushed/powdered and then bonded into sheets or forms for the inlays.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
GardMan said:
In the close-ups, it almost looks more like a pink "pearl," rose quartz, or another stone than coral... not that I am any sort of an expert.

The red coral inlays on my 73 show no figuring or pattern, and it is my understanding (from posts by Hans and West) that the red coral is crushed/powdered and then bonded into sheets or forms for the inlays.

You know, that's a very good question Dave. And by the way, Hans and I discussed inlay over the weekend and the fact that the material in ours was pulverized was mentioned and confirmed by Hans, but I hadn't noticed what you're referring to at the time. I agree.......if the inlay material is pulverized, how'd they get the grain in the inlay that this pink coral has?

West

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The label is written DV72 NT-CL, which I presume means coral. One of the comments on facebook (quoted above by RussB) suggests this might be a mis-labeled DV-76. Beesley does write in his book that the DV-76 has coral inlay, but also erroneously indicates that the DV-72 has lapis lazuli inlay (a mistake carried thru in the quoted comment). I wonder if some of Beesley's info was actually pre-production. His book was published in '95... it's conceivable (I suppose) that he asked Guild in '93-'94 for the specs to put in his book before some of the models were actually built... and then Guild changed the specs and/or model numbers when they actually got around to making them.

Anyway, I have never seen natural (not pulverized/bonded) pieces of coral that large, or with a pattern like that. Most natural coral I have seen is fairly small pieces (beads, inlay, very small cabachons, etc made from the branches). So I am curious.

Beesley's book was published in '95, and our DV-73s (turquoise and red coral), DV-74s (turquoise and pink coral), and the DV-82 aren't mentioned. Are there any other 72 variants that anyone else (besides Hans, tho' I'd like to hear from him, too!) has seen (in person or pics)? Has anyone seen (in person or a pic) a 76 or the one-of DV-82? Did Jerrie Haskew have the 82?

I am certainly looking forward to Hans Vol II.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
GardMan said:

You know, that's a very good question Dave. And by the way, Hans and I discussed inlay over the weekend and the fact that the material in ours was pulverized was mentioned and confirmed by Hans, but I hadn't noticed what you're referring to at the time. I agree.......if the inlay material is pulverized, how'd they get the grain in the inlay that this pink coral has?

West
Whatever that is on this guitar was definitely not pulverized, Jim. That's a slice of something...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beauty!

Time to clean the inside of the guitar a little!

walrus

poser

Reaction score
GardMan said:
... Are there any other 72 variants that anyone else (besides Hans, tho' I'd like to hear from him, too!) has seen (in person or pics)? Has anyone seen (in person or a pic) a 76 or the one-of DV-82? Did Jerrie Haskew have the 82?

I am certainly looking forward to Hans Vol II.

Didn't somebody post a picture a while back of a Guild with malachite inlay?