NGD 1969 M75 Bluesbird

Fixit

Reaction score
My new to me :D 1969 M75 Bluesbird, has arrived :!: Been after one of these for awhile.
So without further ado, the pictures we all love :roll:

T2eC16JsE9swmwBWBQht5FOyYw60_57.jpg

T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgI-DBQhuCe8sQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqFpsFBdlGrBQht5PvR6g60_57.jpg

T2eC16JHJGE9nm3pmNNBQhuC0Nmng60_57.jpg

T2eC16JE9s2fBWfrBQht5mRWtg60_57.jpg

I'll need to do something about the headstock overlay but otherwise in great shape for 43 years old.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a fine addition to the herd Tom! Enjoy.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You dog!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats and happy for you, I know you were after one of these for a while, awesome catch.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Tom! She looks delicious!!!! :D

Thunderface

Reaction score
Congratulations Tom! Can't wait to see it outside on the sidewalk like your other two sunburst beauties, once you work your magic on it. :D

ST100.jpg

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW! Congratulations!

Had my eye on that one when it was on ebay. I think you got a heck of a deal! I'll be holding out for another black one like Treem's.

Thunderface

Reaction score
A little something to tide us over until Tom works his magic and gets that M-75 Bluesbird outside.

Fixit3.jpg

Okay, a little something to tide me over because, in the immortal words of Inigo Montoya ...

Waiting.jpg

... I hate waiting.

Fixit

Reaction score
I've had the chance to work on the M-75 some, It needed the wiring cleaned up and checked, it also needed a fret job. The headstock overlay needed some attention and just a general clean up. The wiring had no problems or bad solder so just cleaning and spraying the pots was all that was required. Same with the pickups. The fret job is completed without any problems. The head stock overlay had a few surprises though :!: I guess Guild tried different methods of doing headstock overlays over the years, mayybe trying to solve the shrinking headstock overlay problem :?: Anyway this guitar had that old well known problem, and I intended to correct it by removing the overlay and re-glueing it, this it what I found.

IMG_1566.jpg

It seems that the overlay is a sandwich of different plastics that make up the whole. At least that was the way it was in 1969. The bottom layer is a piece of white plastic, not unlike pickguard material, the next and interesting layer a very thin sheet of a mother of pearl material, more commonly know as mother of toilet seat :roll: The top layer is a clear plastic or celluloid material, silk screened on the back with black except wher the Guild logo and chesterfield are, thus leaving the MOP showing through. The whole headstock overlay is oversprayed with clear lacquer. I believe this was original and not an attempt to fix the headstock at any prievious time. The silk screening was well done and not at all amaturish. I have got the whole thing back together and looking much better than before. More pictures of that soon :!:

Mean while here are some more pics of the rest of the work so far.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

More to come :D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Completely hollow under the bridge, correct?
I guess it was the M75 hollowbody basses that had that structure under the bridge. :?

Fixit

Reaction score
Default said:
I guess it was the M75 hollowbody basses that had that structure under the bridge. :?

Yes completely hollow. There were other M-75's with blocks. Don't know exactly when they changed from the mohogany back and sides to the maple, and if that is when they went full hollow :?: Help Hans :?:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:

??? I know the Starfire basses had a center block but I thought the M-85 basses were true hollowbodies. Does a block under the bridge, if present, disqualify something as a hollowbody?