And so it begins...... AND ENDS!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all. Your support and enthusiasm along the way has made it the great learning experience that it has been. Gotta say thanks to Larry (Steelpickin') for top notch advice and counsel! @ Tom, I'm not quite sure what's up next. Don has his first guitar he built which has some issues and he's thinking of doing a revision on that one. It's a VERY unusual design and I'm not sure if it can be saved. Kinda fun to look at though. Here's a picture of it.

firstguitar.jpg

Personally I think it would be best to just start a new project, but..... that remains to be seen. I'm perfectly happy as a backseat guitar builder. I like making suggestions and helping where I can, but I have no compulsion to make one myself. I have to say that my time on this forum has been well spent and I was able to contribute a couple of times with confidence that I sorta knew what I was talking about. :shock:

Once again, I can't thank all of you enough. Your comments and encouragement have meant a great deal and I really appreciate all the input. Y'all are the BEST!!!

I'm still gonna post some better photos and who knows, maybe a sound clip? I have NO IDEA how to do that but.... I'll work on it. This guitar sounds really good!! I'm a bit shocked at how full and rich sounding it is. I've played plenty of guitars a whole lot worse than this one. :wink:

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Bravo you guys! Looks great! a lot of work and worry, I know.Very satisfiying to play something you have actually built yourself :)
....ok, on to the next! :lol:

silverfox103

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Tom, I'm not quite sure what's up next. Don has his first guitar he built which has some issues and he's thinking of doing a revision on that one. It's a VERY unusual design and I'm not sure if it can be saved. Kinda fun to look at though. Here's a picture of it.

firstguitar.jpg

Definitely unusual Tom, I think those guys on Antique Roadshow call it "folk art".

Tom

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steelpickin' said:
Bravo you guys! Looks great! a lot of work and worry, I know.Very satisfiying to play something you have actually built yourself :)
....ok, on to the next! :lol:
:lol: :lol: I know, Larry. Thanks for all the advice and help. I'm not sure what's up next But I've been working on the final buffing out of the guitar with the rotary buffer. It's starting to look better and I can't wait to get it strung up again..... :wink:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I took a couple of pictures out by the pool this evening. Pardon the dirty pool, it's been windy as hell for the past couple of days. But this is a very nice sounding guitar and while I can find faults with it, I can also find a lot to like about it. Take a look. Oh and FYI.... the newest kit is already en route..... ;)

mkpool.jpg

mkpool2.jpg

mkpool3.jpg

poser

Reaction score
It looks even better outside. Fine job. I'm looking forward to the next build thread. :)

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Even though the guitar is made from Martin parts,it isn't a Martin. If a Martin label was added, it would be a fraud.
China knows all about that!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Even though the guitar is made from Martin parts,it isn't a Martin. If a Martin label was added, it would be a fraud.
Good point although technically I think it would only be fraud if you were actually trying to represent it as a "real factory built Martin" to somebody.
Y'got brand equity issues to think about too, if somebody plays it and thinks it's stinker then publishes a review trashing the brand based on the guitar...
Otherwise they probably woulda just provided a logo for the headstock, right?
I think the builder's name or a name for the guitar would be most appropriate here.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay, so you work your butt off putting a guitar together and make yourself crazy with all the details and decisions and even though they rough cut some of the pieces for you you think I'm gonna put SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME on that guitar?? :rolleyes:

Don wanted to put Kennedy (his last name) but his brother who worked for Gibson and currently makes some fairly high-end banjos uses that logo so.... probably just his initials. Either DK or DGK. We're gonna have to figure something out because the new kit is already here. This one comes from Stew-Mac and boy is it WAY more detailed and organized than the Martin one!!!

Next up, an 000 slot-head mahogany 12-fretter!!! Is there any interest in seeing the progress on that one? I don't wanna bore y'all to tears with the details of this stuff unless it's something you want to see. I'd start a new thread. The wood has to acclimate anyway for a week or so, so nothing too soon. Lemme know what you think. I won't get my feelings hurt if you say you've had enough..... ;)

RussB

Reaction score
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing it. The guitar came out nice!

Looking forward to the 12 fret build :)