DeArmond Sighting - Van der Graaf Generator

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So I'm watching WHYY's (Philadelphia) performance show, On Canvas featuring Van der Graaf Generator at the Sellersville Theater, and I recognize the head stock inlay on Pete Hammill's guitar (see my signature to know why).

So, for you fans of late-60's English prog rock and DeArmond guitars:

VanDerGraafDeArmond2.jpg

VanDerGraafDeArmond3.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Holy mucklucks GJM... never woulda thought anybody but our European friends would even know who Van Der Graaf even was....
Funny thing, this weekend I was listening to Fareed Haque's "Flat Planet" for the first time and by golly if there weren't some saxophone bits that reminded me of Jackson on "Lost" on H to HE and some other passages that sounded like they'd be right at home on The Long Hello. :eek:
From a modern raga-rock/jazz band. :lol:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Much of my misspent youth was listening intently to prog rock (Strawbs, Gentle Giant, Rare Bird) and "thatched-roof rock" (Renaissance, Fairport Convention), trying to discern the mysteries of life in the grooves of the vinyl.

I spend most Van der Graaf generator songs just trying to figure out the time signatures. Makes my head hurt.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gjmalcyon said:
Much of my misspent youth was listening intently to prog rock (Strawbs,Gentle Giant, Rare Bird)

I thought I was the only person left on the planet who was (or had been) a Gentle Giant fan.

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
gjmalcyon said:
dapmdave said:
I thought I was the only person left on the planet who was (or had been) a Gentle Giant fan.
OK, that makes four of us, I think.
I got a bootleg. :lol:
Le Orme? PFM? New Trolls? Il Volo? Arti & Mestieri? (I was really into those Italian bands, as well as Aphrodite's Child, Vangelis' first band...)
Ange?
Gong?
Magma?
:D

Csquare4

Reaction score
gjmalcyon said:
dapmdave said:

OK, that makes four of us, I think.

Five :D

And a VdGG fan as well. I remember reading somewhere back in the day that Peter Gabriel said if he could emulate one song writer in the world, it would be Peter Hammill. Pawn Hearts is one of those masterpieces of the early '70's progressive genre, and most people have never heard it.