Tool for older style truss rod

idealassets

Reaction score
I know that this is the right place to come to ask this one: I have a 2007 F50r that after all this time, I want to fine tune the truss rod on it. I bought it new old stock, but the case didn't have a truss rod tool in there.

Instead of an allen wrench it will require a nut driver type of tool, which I have never previuosly needed. It appears to me that it will require a long handle and a narrow nut turning end in order to slip into that narrow opening.

So then its winter time, and I am hoping to avoid carrying my guitar into a hardware in order to deal with some overly enthusiast salesfolks that are certain that they know everything.

What is my best bet considering an Ace Hardware, Lowe's, etc to go to. Or is it a special type of thing to order?

Thanks a million,
Craig

Bing k

Reaction score
The adjustment requires a 1/4 inch hex socket tool. Long reach nut drivers work the best because of the configuration of the tool but a standard reach nut driver will work.
A 1/4 inch socket on a long extension requires too much room because of the diameter of the socket where the extension joins. That portion of the socket interferes with the headstock. The tool designed to do the job is actually a 1/4 inch shaped tube with a right angle handle on it. Larger hardware chains may or may not have this tool.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Craig, you might very well have something around that will do the trick. If you have an adjustable screwdriver like the one pictured below, yank the bit out of one end of it and see if it doesn't fit your truss rod nut. This one fits my D65s truss rod nut perfectly. These will fit most common nuts (1/4 inch driver), see if it doesn't fit yours.

trussrodtool.jpg

Bing k

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Craig, you might very well have something around that will do the trick. If you have an adjustable screwdriver like the one pictured below, yank the bit out of one end of it and see if it doesn't fit your truss rod nut. This one fits my D65s truss rod nut perfectly. These will fit most common nuts (1/4 inch driver), see if it doesn't fit yours.

trussrodtool.jpg

This tool will work if it's 1/4 inch. Use caution because of its length, a little short to allow the corners of handle to clear the faceplate on the headstock as it rotates.

idealassets

Reaction score
The adjustment requires a 1/4 inch hex socket tool. Long reach nut drivers work the best
Bing,
Thank you. At least I know now that its 1/4". I'll scout around to find the exact one to keep in the case at all times.

Craig

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For about 2 bucks I picked up a screwdriver socket set at Dollar type store. The handle was like a T and the end was for
The quarter end. Not built for industrial use but it'll do the job. Steffan

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild Truss Rod wrench from the 1970's also known as a quarter inch nut driver. I've seen the same tool at Sears and I think the shaft dimensions address the concerns Bing raised.

GuildWrench%2520001.jpg

Bing k

Reaction score
Works well, Still use caution if the leading edge of the handle contacts the faceplate of the headstock.

Bing k

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
I use the 1/4" one that came with my Taylor guitars:
31p1XPNAyYL.jpg

Ralf
That's one of the tools I described earlier. Works very well. Several makes of guitar come with it. Several basses also. Thanks for the picture.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
I wonder why my Taylor didn't come with one of those?? That would've been nice......

There were several threads about this over at AGF when Taylor stopped shipping them with their guitars a few years ago.

Fortunately they're inexpensive and fairly easy to find.

' Strang

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
I wonder why my Taylor didn't come with one of those?? That would've been nice......
Both Taylors that came with one were 2006 guitars, I am the first owner. I am not sure when exactly they stopped supplying the tool, but my third 2009 one did not have the tool anymore.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bing k said:
This tool will work if it's 1/4 inch. Use caution because of its length, a little short to allow the corners of handle to clear the faceplate on the headstock as it rotates.
Is it possible to order one as a "replacement part" directly from Guild?
I'd think at the very least there'd be a way for a service center to buy them?
Just in case all else fails.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Bing k said:

If you can't find what you need at Home Depot or Harbor freight tools, Stewart MacDonald has truss rod wrenches in 8 different configurations.

http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?actn=se ... &x=41&y=16

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the information guys. I do remember a thread about Taylor stopping the inclusion of a truss rod admustment tool. Or something like that. @ Jeff..... LOVE Harbor Freight Tools!!!! You can get some great stuff for not a whole lot of money.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:

Why? It is a standard tool that is available at just about any hardware store. Furthermore, it may very well be that enough idiots used the tool and caused damage that it is in Guild's best interests to not sell or distribute the tool.

jte

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Bing k said:

Don't know about gettng one from Guild. But, just go to a hardware store (if there are any around you- a "home improvement" store like Lowes or Home Depot might help in a pinch) and tell them you want a 1/4" nut driver. See what they have.

You can also go to Stewart MacDonald to see what they have for truss rod tools. I got one of the right angle ones with the phillips head there years ago.

John

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The good thing about the right-angle, phillips-head ones is that you can use the handle like a clock hand. Easy to judge 1/8th and 1/4th turns on adjustments. Smaller adjustments over a longer period of time seems a better, safer way to do those...... :wink: