NAMM 2013: New Guild Custom Shop Orpheum series

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
What a great review :D The guitars look stellar. The burst is awesome but I think the natural is unique. There is something different to me about the binding color, white black , natural top. Yummy :mrgreen:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I would be curious to hear how the 12-fret Martinesque dread designed by a Gibson guy sounds.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ridgemont said:
I would be curious to hear how the 12-fret Martinesque dread designed by a Gibson guy sounds.

Well, I had posted this before, that's what gtrman100 wrote in his NAMM pictures thread:
gtrman100 said:
I checked out the Fender booth yesterday-good news! ...I played 2 of the Orpheum models, OMG! The 12 and 14 fret models sounded amazing, even in the din of the NAAM show. They had the iconic Guild tone- deep, piano- like bass, bright top end and smooth mid-range. The also had a delicacy that would be great for fingerstyle.

And that's what PMC wrote about the 12 fret:

"There's just something about the tone which reaches out and punches you square in the chest when you play it. I suspect Ren Ferguson knew this when he designed this guitar, because it's pretty clear that he wasn't going to be satisfied with a simple punch in the chest. Instead, he went for a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick by making it a deep-body Dread. There have been rare occasions in my life when I played a guitar, and all instantly seemed right with the world. The clouds parted and the sun shone. Angels sang as doves flew on high. Okay, so that might be a bit dramatic; my apologies. But this guitar is epic. I've seen and played a lot of really nice acoustic guitars over the last ten years. After a while, you stop getting instantly impressed. For me, if a guitar wants to impress me, it's gotta' work at it. Well, that just wasn't the case with this guitar. I picked it up, strummed a G chord, and I was hooked; instantly and irrevocably hooked. It's with a tip of the hat to the esteemed Mr. Ferguson when I say "Yes, please". "

I guess that summs it up nicely, doesn't it?

Ralf

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Ridgemont said:
Well, I had posted this before, that's what gtrman100 wrote in his NAMM pictures thread:
gtrman100 said:
I checked out the Fender booth yesterday-good news! ...I played 2 of the Orpheum models, OMG! The 12 and 14 fret models sounded amazing, even in the din of the NAAM show. They had the iconic Guild tone- deep, piano- like bass, bright top end and smooth mid-range. The also had a delicacy that would be great for fingerstyle.
And that's what PMC wrote about the 12 fret: http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.de/2013/01/ ... ulder.html
"There's just something about the tone which reaches out and punches you square in the chest when you play it. I suspect Ren Ferguson knew this when he designed this guitar, because it's pretty clear that he wasn't going to be satisfied with a simple punch in the chest. Instead, he went for a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick by making it a deep-body Dread. There have been rare occasions in my life when I played a guitar, and all instantly seemed right with the world. The clouds parted and the sun shone. Angels sang as doves flew on high. Okay, so that might be a bit dramatic; my apologies. But this guitar is epic. I've seen and played a lot of really nice acoustic guitars over the last ten years. After a while, you stop getting instantly impressed. For me, if a guitar wants to impress me, it's gotta' work at it. Well, that just wasn't the case with this guitar. I picked it up, strummed a G chord, and I was hooked; instantly and irrevocably hooked. It's with a tip of the hat to the esteemed Mr. Ferguson when I say "Yes, please". "

I guess that summs it up nicely, doesn't it?
Ralf
Well, gtrman100 does provide a little first hand insight, but I see those comments written about a lot of guitars. As far as the article from PMC, they say a lot without saying anything at all. A lot of descriptive imagery that does not provide any detail as to the guitars tone or playability. Telling me that you are hooked when a G chord is strummed does not tell me anything other than that a G chord sounds nice to your ears. Many shops provide youtube videos to give the general public an idea as to how the guitar sounds. That is what I am really after.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ridgemont said:
Many shops provide youtube videos to give the general public an idea as to how the guitar sounds. That is what I am really after.

O.k., I see. There wasn't a video of the 12 fret yet, only of the Slope Shoulder 14-Fret Mahogany Dreadnought. But it's also not a real demo video:

Ralf

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Ridgemont said:
Many shops provide youtube videos to give the general public an idea as to how the guitar sounds. That is what I am really after.
O.k., I see. There wasn't a video of the 12 fret yet, only of the Slope Shoulder 14-Fret Mahogany Dreadnought. But it's also not a real demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6b3VdKFkGg

EDIT: There is one of the 12 fret, but well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZFglyKsVU

Ralf
Thanks Ralf, that is much more substantial and is what I was looking for.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To whet your appetite a bit more...At Musikmesse in Frankfurt two weeks ago Ren announced (it's on YouTube) that he just finished the tooling for two new future models in the Custom Shop Orpheum series!

1) a 12 string 12 fret model
2) a slot head finger style guitar

I guess they will show up latest at NAMM 2014.

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ridgemont said:
SLOT HEAD?!?!?! :D
Yes! Here's the video, he mentions both new models at 04:30 to 04:38. Since Musikmesse is in Frankfurt/Germany it has some German in it but is a nice interview of Ren anyway.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A few more pictures from Guilds Facebook page:
The new brown (not longer blue) Orpheum rosettes:

249149_10151362207041105_110155600_n.jpg

943615_10151362207266105_1702661529_n.jpg

943057_10151362208576105_1107821506_n.jpg

Ralf

ladytexan

Reaction score
Just as a side note, we learned from Kim that the mahogany is sustainable mahogany....which is a good thing. ;) Having played the Orpheum 12-fret, slope shoulder dread, it is one FINE guitar! And, beautiful! :)

dsc01107wx.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it's worth to add the link to that new Guild Custom Shop video here:

Ralf

Last edited:

70man

Reaction score
Wow ,that's a pretty big read,I'm still digesting it all.I did learn something that has stuck in my head.I put a name to a face.
mwpd.jpg

MR REN FERGUSON ,Master Luthier
Check out this work,
z6bq.jpg
d50a.jpg
5on.JPG

Look at the detail in His work,it's just stunning,amazingly talented bloke,that out of wood ,steel ,shells, bone,and lacquer ,He can make this.
Thanks to your photography
Ralf........... I can to put a face to a name
Stuart
link to the photos
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Ren-...r-/181164301421?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a2e3bdc6d

Last edited:

6L6

Reaction score
Incredible work for sure!

However, I can't believe he went with top wood showing that much runout.

Bill