Guild Resonators?

Jackson Quinn

Reaction score
I did actually see that some were for sale online. I hadn't seen any in stores near me, that's what I meant. I should have specified.

And I had seen the video; actually sounds really good. I wasn't sure how they'd be (Guild isn't known for their resonator line) but that R-30 Biscuit offers something different than the National Biscuit-Bridge sound... the Guild sounds a lot more "open" in the video, with a bit less punch and bark. I think it sounds cool.

And you're definitely right about the spec change. I watched these pretty closely over the past couple months, and they were definitely listed as laminates on many dealer's pages, and the "S" was not there on Guild's website. Not to mention the R-30 specs didn't say "Solid Mahogany." I'm absolutely positive of that.

It's cool to have a reso with solid woods, I'm sure it'll give the sound a little more shimmer and body, but as I understand it most high-end resonators (biscuit bridge resonators anyway; I can't speak for high-end spidercones, as they are mostly small shops) are built using laminates. In a National Reso-Phonic informational video, they explained that using laminates is often better for building resonator guitars, because the body is essentially a speaker cabinet designed to house the cone, which acts as a speaker and produces most of the sound. The materials used in the body color the sound in various ways, but as the strings drive the cone directly, that's where most of the sound is coming from. So the goal becomes, "What's the best material to house a vibrating piece of metal without impeding the vibration, but can also stand up to that level of assault?" Laminate woods are generally stronger and less prone to warping, so that's an option. Or, of course, more metal. That's how I understand it, anyway.

National is considered by many to be the best in the business, and even their high-end "El Trovador" has a laminate top and back (I believe the sides are solid). That was the spec that I got from them when I called them a year or so ago, anyway. It might have changed.

My point (finally) is that solid woods may be good or bad in this context. I wouldn't worry about it with a resonator; the cone makes most of the sound. People are always talking about how their low-budget overseas-made reso sounds ten times better with, say, a Quarterman cone. And if I'm right, and they are generally made with laminates, then they're made that way for a reason.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think that is another good question to ask during the upcoming LMG (for those who attend) why the laminated bodies changed to solid bodies on the Resonator models. (I mean what the reason was to do that change)
Ralf