Looks like they're shipping!

dhdfoster

Reaction score
TrueTone posted a picture of some new Newark Street models on their FB page. I saw it on the Gretsch Pages. I was going to link to it here, but the picture is HUGE.

Qvart

Reaction score
guildman63 said:
Less than 24 hours to our first "new" Guild review! :D

It's here!

That is...it's sitting at FedEx about 14 miles from here, but it's being routed to a 24-hour FedEx facility a couple miles from where I work, so I'm definitely getting it today.

delivery2_zps02302209.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Geoff, looks like you're gonna be the first LTGer to play one (excluding Guild employees and NAMM attendees that is).

Awaiting a full report (start a new thread).

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dhdfoster said:
TrueTone posted a picture of some new Newark Street models on their FB page.
Here it is, but those guitar techs at True Tone did a set up on them obviously and mounted the TRCs on all 3 cherry guitars afterwards upside down! :twisted:

922155_642004279160084_1526205491_o.jpg

Ralf

jcwu

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Even worse for the X-175B, they mounted it with the white inside out (but at least in the right way)! :twisted:

I think that's just a reflection of the light?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
jcwu said:
SFIV1967 said:
Even worse for the X-175B, they mounted it with the white inside out (but at least in the right way)! :twisted:
I think that's just a reflection of the light?
O.k,, I can agree with that explanation, yes, might be for the X-175B. But the other 3 are definitely upside down mounted, and I doubt that was done by Guild that way. (at least the others we saw were not like them).
Ralf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that too! That does look the part. Makes those DeArmond guitars look extra lame, doesn't it? :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Geoff, looks like you're gonna be the first LTGer to play one (excluding Guild employees and NAMM attendees that is).

Awaiting a full report (start a new thread).

DONE! :lol:

dhdfoster

Reaction score
I posted this review of a new X175B on another forum

I took delivery of one of the new X175Bs last night. I didn’t get much time to play it, but I do have some initial thoughts. I live in a small studio apartment, so I could only plug it in to my Yamaha modeling amp (which actually sounds surprisingly good) and play at low volume. Also, I own several old Guilds, so some of my impressions are based purely on my own personal likes and dislikes in comparison to my originals.

I have to say it’s a very nice guitar. It looks well made and all the parts look mostly “correct”. The Guildsby looks a little odd in spots, but I didn’t have an original on hand to campare. The finish is MIK thick and glassy, but not nearly as much so as the DeArmond M77T I owned. It’s actually not too bad. It’s a tad more amber than I think looks natural, but they were going for a vintage vibe I suppose. It’s pretty, but a little goofy looking, IMO. It’s nowhere near as bad as some of Fender’s low-cost “butterscotch” Teles, though. That’s just my taste, though. It is a nice finish and some will love it.

The neck feels nice and substantial and the slightly larger frets are a good choice. I think WB said in another post that it’s “surreal” to see these. I have to agree. I spent a lot of time just looking at it. It gives you an idea of what it would be like to play a brand new Guild in 1959. The downside is the slick glossy neck and just a general feeling of newness. Obviously, that’s just the way it is unless you want to “relic” it, which I do not.

On another plus side, it looks like they made the neck angle steeper than the originals to get more downward pressure on the bridge. The bridge pickup cover is noticeably taller than the originals, and the bridge is adjusted pretty high.

The PICKUPS! What we’ve all been wondering about, I’m sure. I didn’t disassemble them to take a look, but they sound really great. I went back and forth between the new one and my old X150 conversion and they are pretty similar. I’d have to say that the originals are a tad warmer, rounder, woodier, and “blurry”, while the new ones are bright, twangy and articulate. However, it’s impossible to get an honest comparison because the originals are on a 50 year old guitar. They did a good job on the pickups, I think. Unfortunately, as I said, I had to play quietly. I think a lot of the Franz magic happens at louder volumes. They can get kind of aggressive and rough around the edges in a great way. One thing I love about my old Guilds is a “growliness” that happens when the amp is cranked and you play closer intervals. It’s unrefined, but so cool. I’m not sure if it’s the pickups, the spruce top, the construction, the bracing, or what, but it’s sort of there on the new one.

Most of the other visual details and parts are evident in the pictures. One thing I miss is the toggle switch mounting bezel. I think they are super cool, but certainly not necessary or a deal breaker.

Overall, I’m impressed and I’m amazed that these made it to market again. Mike did a great job with the specs and the factory’s construction has a vibe that they really gave a crap about the Newark St. project. Nice case, too!

Based on this guitar, I have high hopes for the Aristocrat.

Also, for those interested in the pickups, here are some photos.

DBD4B973-117F-457F-A968-93F6527DF22A-866-0000002120FEF5BA_zpsb8e8adb8.jpg

0D3A3EDD-74DE-4838-9986-5C6C320520EC-866-0000002114655DE2_zps45746e49.jpg

82AA6DF9-E88A-4AB6-84D6-0194302C40E6-866-000000210A1C9D74_zps1fa16949.jpg

D273543C-6161-4D37-9842-633BC23F4E27-866-00000020FB222E95_zpsd87b39c3.jpg

guildman63

Reaction score
Just what we were hoping to hear! I may have to break down at some point and pick up an A150, X175 and Aristocrat, but perhaps in time. What I would really like is an X-500 with each set of pups they were made with. I have an AP coming soon, and a 1993 with Guild HB1's. I suppose an X-500 with mini buckers and Franz pups in excellent condition would cost a few dollars, so I will need to save for a while or win the lottery. Did it ever come with DeArmonds? Enjoy the new Guild, and feel free to post a sound clip or video. ;-)

mbuc

Reaction score
The finish is MIK thick and glassy, but not nearly as much so as the DeArmond M77T I owned. It’s actually not too bad.

Nice pics! A too thick polyurethane layer can really keep the guitar from resonating. I feel relieved if you say it's actually not too bad. Still it's something one should keep in mind when trying or especially when comparing guitars from the Newark St. series. How thick that layer is may differ from guitar to guitar.

Enjoy!