Bluesbirds: Owners & Long Time Borrowers List

StanBlues

Reaction score
Ok all...I have seen so many nice looking Bluesbirds on LTG that I figured we needed to have a list and thread dedicated to these beautiful creatures....
DK (aka lostdog) and I came up with an idea to start a thread that would run much like the S-100 owners thread. I have started to build a spreadsheet to keep the data and will periodically post the updates. There are no real rules or requirements, but I would ask that you help me by posting a pic and giving me the most information you have.... even share a story if you have one about your bird. What I need to fill out the spreadsheet is the year, model and color. Please do your best to use the Guild colors and models. If you aren't sure, then we (collectively LTG) will try to help you figure it all out. I have seen some of the sweetest finishes on these guitars.... some of the tobacco bursts rival guitars priced 10X what most of us paid for our Bluesbirds. There are quilted tops, gold metallic, cherry sunburst, natural.... a few transparents...and more. We will not discriminate based upon state of origin/production, color, naming convention, age, actual ownership status ....we won't ask you the last time you changed your strings or if you have the OHSC! Don't have the original TRC? Missing a few knobs? Someone slapped on a replacement bridge? Don't worry... not only will we not criticize ... we might actually find people who can help you with your problem.
I don't have all the exact data for production years and models, so if someone has that data please send me a note so I can fill out the spreadsheet accordingly. Otherwise I will just add to it as we go along. So start posting and I will try to keep up.

Anyway this will be a fun way for us to keep track of all these great guitars. So leading by example I will start with my two birds:
1. 2000 Bluesbird AAA, Cherry Sunburst
2. 1999 Bluesbird STD, Black
Rock On!
D
2000bb1.jpg
[/IMG]
blkbb7.jpg
[/IMG]

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could you please post exactly what your definition of a "Bluesbird is? Are M-75's (Hollow and solid) "Bluesbirds"?

StanBlues

Reaction score
Grot,
The M-75 Bluesbird, as listed in the 1968 catalog, for instance, would certainly be in the group. You would certainly know better than me (considering your collection) the years that the M-75 Bluesbird was in production. In any case someone would have to enlighten me. Once I get the production years I will add them to the spreadsheet.
I think that if it has "Bluesbird" in the catalog name for the guitar then it should be included in the list. I thought about the Brian Setzer models too and when you look in the catalog it lists them as Bluesbirds, so who am I to argue with the people who made them. I don't have a copy of Hans' book here in Afghanistan with me so I will have to rely upon the good judgement of the field here regarding the early Bluesbirds. Again anyone who can give me models and production years and even better the colors that they came in, I would greatly appreciate it. I think having the M-75 Bluesbirds in the thread/list it is a great idea and will add a little history and depth to the thread.
Hope this answers the mail. Let me know what you think.

Rock on
D

StanBlues

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about serial numbers, but now that you mention it, I could add a page or just a note to the cell in the spreadsheet that includes the serial numbers.
That would be really useful in dating guitars for people, by virtue of the known bracketing method.
Of course it is up to the owner what they do or do not want to post.
I will include them if the owner posts them. How's that?

Rock on
D

gilded

Reaction score
stantheman

Do you want me to scan the appropriate pages from han's book
and send them to you? If so, PM me an email address!

gilded

lostdog

Reaction score
StanBlues,

Thanks for doing this! Here are Bluesbirds #1884 (top) and #1666 (bottom). Both are '99 Westerly's.

Alan_M

Reaction score
Do Blues 90's count? Not a Bluesbird with P-90's but the actual Blues 90's?

StanBlues

Reaction score
Alan,
I say yes... but do so fully knowing that someone else may not feel the same way.....
I have already included a column for the Blues 90 with each of the applicable production years.
I think it will be great to have them on the list. Here is my take:
With the older M-75 Bluesbirds and the Blues 90's on the list, in addition to the Bluesbirds of the 90's and 00's, we will have an evolutionary list.
I highly encourage members to post what they like or prefer in their particular flavor. Thicker necks....dot's vs. block inlays ....the difference in sound....etc etc....
That is just my 2 cents.
Rock on
dennis

StanBlues

Reaction score
DK
Love those Birds!
I have included them on the list...
Can we double check those serial numbers? CL001884 sounds like a '99, but are you sure about CL001666? Is that an early '99?
Just seems like quite a spread, but if one is an early '99 and one is a late '99 I guess that would work.
Also on the Sunburst, as I read the catalog there was either a Cherry Sunburst or a Tobacco Burst. At least that was the case in '01. Either way I will add the additional colors if they are listed that way from Guild.
Great pic. Do you notice any difference between the sisters?

Rock on!
d

StanBlues

Reaction score
Looking at page 57 of Hans' book it looks like the catalog added the designation Bluesbird to the M-75 in the 1968 catalog. The notes read that, "the hollow-body M-75/BluesBirds were offered with a choice of gold-plated or chrome hardware, next to the solid-body versions, but unfortunately, the hollow-body version was phased out altogether."
Based upon that and the catalog designation, I would say yes. I will add a column in or a model designation for hollow body. I will add it in parentheses as (HB).

Of course we will need the details and a cool pic!
Looking forward to it.

Rock on!
D

Alan_M

Reaction score
OK then! Here is my 2000 Blues 90 in transparent black. Pretty weak picture I know, but the top is a nice maple that can be seen in the right lighting.
dsc01230rc.jpg

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here are my Bluesbirds.

1972 M-75C (Semi-Solid)

Picture020.jpg

1973 M-75CS (Solid)

rt062.jpg

1985 Brian Setzer

guitar003.jpg

Now what about M-85 "Bluesbird" basses? Are you tracking those?

StanBlues

Reaction score
Alan,
Man that is a sweet looking Blues90! Gotta get some better pics of that finish.... I haven't seen a black transparent up close... very curious....especially with the quilted maple top!
Let me know if you want to post the serial number too. Also the official name of the color is "Black Transparent" correct?
You are on the list man.... it is growing... I will probably post a first update after I get a few more on there......

Rock on!
D

StanBlues

Reaction score
Grot,
Great part of your collection. I have checked out your virtual museum and this is just the tip of the iceberg!
If you could help me out with the colors that would be great. I have guessed for the most part, but I want to make sure I get it right.
I will include the basses as they come in, so post away. I will put them on their own sheet for now. I seem to be very rapidly running out of space!
Also if you want to include serial numbers, it is totally up to you.
I have a very strong feeling about that '73! How does she sound? What woods did they use? If you have time, drop a few lines here to share some of the details.
Rock on! Fellow Jersey Shore man! (exit 109 here, Red Bank area)

D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stan just tried to access your album and I was denied permission to look at it. not sure what's up with that but maybe it's a case that you only have access to yourown album?

lostdog

Reaction score
StanBlues,

Regarding the serial numbers being from the year 1999. That is based on feedback I received from Hans that they were produced in 1999. I know the Guild "Dating Guide" PDF seems to show some numbers that are slightly different over the 1997-1999 production years, but like everyone else, I really trust Hans' knowledge on the build and production dates for Guild Guitars.

I'd say the Sunburst is a Tobacco Burst since that is the way it is described in a copy of the 2001 Price List (don't have the list for '99) even though it looks more like a "Tea Burst" to most people. Changes in the lighting pattern seems to have quite an effect on the color that you actually see.

I've posted a couple of additional photos below of the BB's so you can see the difference from the first photo.

As far differences between #1666 and #1884, not much physically of course, except the plastic cap on the P/U selector switch with #1884. Don't know if all BB re-issues originally came with that or not. Both guitars appear to be stock and unmodified.

As far as playing, I'm not much of a player, but I can say that #1666 had that classic Bluesbird sound right out of the box/case. Just a sweet machine and ready to go!

#1884 required some set up time (lower the action, raise the bridge p/u, etc.) to get the BB sound we'd normally expect. It's interesting, even with the same set up, they sound slightly different, to the point that I enjoy alternating between the two according to whatever mood I'm in that day.

Just wish I could play well enough to make them proud. Working on that part.

Wilfred

Reaction score
Great looking Bluesbirds here! I'm embarassed to admit that I still have to take some long overdue pics and no less than three NGD posts to compile, one of which concerns my beautiful '97 specimen.

Alan_M

Reaction score
Stan: here is a better look, still hard to see, but better. And my serial number is CL002291. The color I assume is called "transparent blacK' simply because it's not at all opaque. Maybe someone who knows better what the "official" color is?
dsc01239bm.jpg