Bluesbirds: Owners & Long Time Borrowers List

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2001
2zs4k1t.jpg
That's just....just... I mean, that thing.......you oughtta have to show ID or something proving you're over 18 before they let you look at that thing ....
:)
Yours too Ralph.
In fact yours looks even more quilted than Pascal's but I assume that's due to the angle of view in the photos.

Qvart

Reaction score
Looks like Grot is the first BB cool kid! Doesn't he get a light blue line on the roster? ;)

gilded

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Here's my BB, an '02 Corona-built Gold-Top w/B12 Bigsby that once belonged to our wonderful LTG friend California (aka David). Serial number is CM000476.

Tech Notes:

I like the Duncan HB1 pickups, though I understand that some people don't. The do sound very different from the Original HB1 pickups on my '71 S-100.

The neck is 1.751" wide at the nut and quite chunky. I like to fingerpick with it and find that I can do that better on this electric than most others.

I've changed the Bridge and Stanchions from a no-name Pac-Rim Roller Bridge to a Schaller Roller Bridge and added a Vibramate Spoiler String Retainer to make it easier to change the strings. I switched bridges because the no-name roller-bridge that it came equipped with:

1) had posts and stanchions that were 'wobbly' and roller saddles that were 'stiff'!

2) the back edge of the aforementioned bridge made contact with the low E string just behind the saddle and killed the sonority of the string.

I picked the Schaller Roller Bridge because the back edge of the bridge drops away and none of the strings touch any spot on the guitar between the roller bar on the Bigsby and the saddle. As well, the low roller bar on the B-12 Bigsby makes for such an acute breakover angle on the guitar that the downforce of the strings on the bridge would have affected the overall stability of a tuneamatic-type bridge (like my Twang Hero Walter Broes likes to use on the Big Box Guitars that have a much 'softer' breakover angle).

Here are California's Pics from '07 or '08:

Here's a pic that the interim owner took a year or so ago:

Again, a current pic of this guitar would show a different bridge and a Vibramate Spoiler on the Bigsby's upper roller bar.

gilded

RussB

Reaction score
Russ.....
Love this guitar.... what is the color/finish? Is it a AAA Top Natural perhaps?
In any case let me know.....So I can list it correctly....
Rock on
d

It's a natural finish. I don't know what "grade" the top is, but it is very unique.

StanBlues

Reaction score
Picky,
If it is natural color 821 and its from 2001, according to the catalog that only came in the standard model.
The Cherry Sunburst(830), Tobacco Sunburst(852) and Amber(820) were the only colors to come standard in AAA.
That being said it could very well be a custom AAA Top. I would have no idea how to tell.
Perhaps it is really Amber? Do you have the model number with color on the inside? Seems like that was pretty popular.
I think there are probably a lot of quilted tops out there that were not actually called "AAA flame maple top"
Let me know what you find out.

Rock on!
dennis

StanBlues

Reaction score
gilded,
that is a great looking setup man.....
i have thought about putting on a similar rig on my '99 Black Bluesbird.....
but to be honest i wouldn't attempt it myself......
i would love to hear your feedback..... was it worth it... do you use it?
did you do the work yourself...?
again sweet rig....I will get you all squared away with your information on the list....
thanks

Rock on!
d

StanBlues

Reaction score
Owners/Borrowers, Friends, fellow LTGers,
The list is growing, but as I expected I am having trouble keeping the list accurate.
I have been able to recover my excel spreadsheet and update per your guidance and requests.
Now I have a request: If anyone has pdf files of the catalogs/price lists for the any of the years that the BB was in production please PM me.
Fully understanding that many custom BB's may have been produced, I want to make sure that each guitar gets placed where it should.
For example, I cannot confirm that Wilfreds Burst is a AAA or not. It sure as heck should have been, but I cannot confirm that they produced a standard model burst in 1997. If I had the catalog data I would be able to make at least and educated guess. I have the catalog for 2001 which does not list a burst in anything but the AAA Flame Maple Top.
Hans' new book may cover this, but it may be a while before we see that. Until then we must rely on each other to ensure accuracy.
If you have any information that might help with the accuracy of colors and models for a particular production year please let me know.
I will post an update soon.

Thanks and Rock on!
d

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's my June 2000 (dated inside electronics chamber) one. I am under the believe it is a Bluesbird AAA TOP.
I thought it is Model Number 360-6400-820 (Color# 820 = Amber).
Amber because the lacquer is toned I guessed, however even if it has toned lacquer I would call it "natural top", so the color code should be 821.
My one is dark on the back, there were other versions with a lighter brown on the back (I guess Bluespicky's has the same top but is light brown on the back).

ibiGHVwTKiaZK8.jpg
iEqApfNObir3x.jpg
ibwj45z9TxulKQ.jpg

Ralf
Correcto Ralphetto.
Here's a view of my light brown back:

35hpqfk.jpg

Picky,
Do you have the model number with color on the inside?
Rock on!
dennis

No I ain't got it bro.
Just popped the hood and got nothing but a nice view on the chambered guts of the lovely thing. Not one word stamped, carved or hand written in there.

How is it labelled in yours Ralph?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's just....just... I mean, that thing.......you oughtta have to show ID or something proving you're over 18 before they let you look at that thing ....
Yeah I was afraid it wouldn't make the moderator review but hey.... it cleared! Whew! ;)

StanBlues

Reaction score
I seriously hate guessing picky... but if I had to I would say it is the Amber AAA from 2001.
Perhaps if we can get someone with a verified Amber AAA it would help.
In Dari we say Kuwshdi Marra! "your killing me" We have a few that are definitely questionable.
blue335 has a '97 Blond.... without the catalog I or custom paperwork...it will be tough to confirm that one too....
In the end I will list them as the owner says but also hoping that in doing so we can get educated....

We'll keep at it.

Waiting for some new detail and then I will post the update.....
Also working on the idea of pictures in the spreadsheet..... i know like in a ppt. presentation you can hyperlink to other parts of the document.....
I am trying to see if when you hover over the box and the comment comes up with the serial number, that maybe I can get a picture to come up too.....
Of course this would only be available in the original document not the jpeg that i post in the thread......
I will keep working on it....

rock on
d

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How is it labelled in yours Ralf?
No model name label in my one, only handwritten assembly date and initials "JT" (Jeff T., who mounted the neck). I bought it used, so did not have the original paperwork. But the quilted must be at least AAA if not more, it's not the AAA flamed (striped) as in the catalog, the quilted was a version that was never in the catalogs I think. Catalogs were full of errors as Hans had told us multiple times.
Ralf

StanBlues

Reaction score
Ralf,
I certainly don't disagree with you. I think that some of the quilted tops are fantastic pieces for sure. There is no doubt about that. If someone has any experience with this in the past, please chime in.
I don't know for sure but I have seen AA spruce tops on different guitars, Guilds too I think, and have seen AAA tops. It is all about the quality of the wood. The quilted tops are spectacular finishes.
Are they all natural that way? Forgive my ignorance, I just don't know. Some of the quilted tops look very natural and others like they could have been produced that way. I am just not sure how to list them.
As I have said in the past I will list as the owner designates the guitar (you all know your guitars better than me), but also hope to get some education and clarification along the way. You are certainly right that there is a huge difference between say the cherry sunburst that I have and the quilted tops. If we just want to call them all AAA tops.....that is fine by me. I am just wondering if someone has the original papers for a quilted top. If only to satisfy my own curiosity. I am sure that Guild made plenty of mistakes, and/or possibly omissions in there catalogs. For me that is just the base; a framework from which we can base discussion and with which I can build the foundation for the tracking sheets. Also we have to account for the many custom guitars that were certainly made with many variations from the "standard" offerings. For a few bucks more you could purchase a guitar with a non-standard color or depending on the year various other options. I will add colors and or finishes as we come across them. It might be an idea to add a column just for the quilted tops, just to differentiate.
In any case let me know what you think. Changing the spreadsheet is easy enough.

Rock on
D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For little extra "zing" in a thread dedicated to Bluesbirds, how about historic instruments, like the one used by Banana in the Youngbloods?
Every once in a while I like to post a reminder here about "Darkness Darkness" which I consider to be possibly the ultimate Bluesbird solo :)
Sorry can't post pics but here's a link to the guitar as well as an ultra-rare tenor version:
http://www.vintageinstruments.com/thumbnails/53m75sfulpage.html
I seem to recall some pics around here of Keith Richards playing one too, w-a-a-ay back in the day, like 65-66, or is that an M65 "Freshman"?

StanBlues

Reaction score
adorshki,
Just went back and listened to "Darkness Darkness"
Great solo! Do you know what he played on that? M-75 Bluesbird?
I will have to do some research and see what amp he was playing through.
What a classic sound!
rock on!
d

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
adorshki,
Just went back and listened to "Darkness Darkness"
Great solo! Do you know what he played on that? M-75 Bluesbird?
I will have to do some research and see what amp he was playing through.
What a classic sound!
rock on!
d
I gotta admit it's an educated deduction, but I never saw him play anything else in any of the youtube clips out there.
Wa-a-y back then I always thought it was an SG ('cause of the sustain like Cippolina and Santana), didn't even know Guild had anything like Bluesbirds. Didn't realize what was going on until I saw a small photo in a compilation CD only a couple of years ago.
Then the light went on and I thought to myself "AHA!! That explains 'Darkness Darkness' "
When I first posted a link to it back then, one of our other members posted that link to Banana's M75s. If you go to the main page of that site I linked, you'll notice that it's actually Lowell Levinger's (Banana's) site for his business. I'd be willing to bet that that's the actual guitar used, but I never got around to asking him.
Amp? Wouldn't surprise me if he can't remember, but it sure seems to have a Deluxe Reverb kinda sound, don't it?
Then counterpoint that with the solo for "Let's Get Together", which reflects the absolutely clean sound somebody mentioned here recently:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltgvB/upload/showthread.php?35127-Bluesbird-in-Guitar-Player
Oh, WTH, here's a link to it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jnsrpbIvz8
OK, I know I'm goin' a bit astray but here's a full Guild lineup with a Starfire and SF bass besides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jnsrpbIvz8

StanBlues

Reaction score
First... thanks for the insight adorshki! I will check out those links.... rock on!

Second....Here is the latest listing for the BB's... I know that there are more LTGers out there with these great guitars....so let's get posting......
Also I know we have at least one pending NGD from smitch and his new tobacco burst..... as soon as he gets it back all set up, he will post....
anyway here is the current listing....
20130509ltgbbs.jpg
[/IMG]

StanBlues

Reaction score
Well.... the Setzer models need a little room to breathe i think....lol....
No just a formatting thing... i wanted to put them between all the years, but quickly ran out of space when we added the M-75's.....
I am treating this as a trial run....prototype.....experimental thing...... once we get the bulk of the guitars on here.... I am looking at transferring the data to a more user friendly format.....
I am working with my IT guy to come up with some good ideas.... i don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet....but this could be really cool.....
I mentioned before and still want to have this be a little more interactive for the user..(it's all about the user experience!).. where you can hover over say my '00 cherry sunburst and a picture will come up with the serial number..... and anything else i want it to say...like, "added bigsby and p90's" or whatever.... that way you don't have to scroll through the thread to check out the birds.....
we are busy right now in Afghanistan and the Taliban have declared the start to the fighting season.... (it is almost as popular as the start of the NFL season or even NASCAR here)
so I am working on it as a pleasant distraction from my daily grind..... My IT guy is really into it too.... and he doesn't know anything about guitars at all... he just thinks it's a really cool idea....
Rock on!
d