Do you smell your guitars

Reaction score
My g/f paints guitars and often sniffs the lacquer on old guitars.
You can relic a guitar to look very believable, but you can't fake the smell of old guitar wood and cases.

I have a recent Reverend Guitar that smells like Cupcakes.
Other guys with the same model/color say the same thing!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What the he11, let's resurrect this thread. As I said in a different thread, the case for my D64 smells like the soundhole, although not as strong. Yes, I love the smell!

walrus

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
My DV smells exactly like the old wooden pews on a steamy, sticky Illinois August Sunday in the church I grew up in 55 years ago. When I open my case it's like a time machine! Smells like...well...heaven. :angel:

DThomasC

Reaction score
My S-300A smells just like the cheap beer we used to drink around bonfires on the beach at Cape Cod during summer vacation. Every time I open the case I think tonight's the night I get lucky!

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
So does this mean when a group of LTGers get together the first thing they do is sniff soundholes to see who is friendly?

swiveltung

Reaction score
I smell before I buy. If they dont have tobacco, beer and hot sweat mojo .... I pass.

Uke

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Land of Stucco, Pointy Things, Heat and Hurricanes
Guild Total
Yes I do smell all my guitars, quite often -- it is very relaxing. However, I have a 2000 D55 I've named "old smokey" because it smells like an old dive bar that has just opened for the day -- stale and smokey with funky accents. Although, I really don't have to stick the smeller in the sound hole because it just sort of comes to me when I open the case. But it's my favorite guitar in my herd. Obviously it had a hard, working life before I bought it.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Do I smell my guitars? No, but I've been known to lick them every now and then. :disturbed: