Mary Halvorson and her Artist Award

littlesongs

Reaction score
gannushkin_2_medium.jpg

Artist Award in action with the Mary Halvorson Quintet:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/172713493/mary-halvorson-quintet-tiny-desk-concert

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My toe had a tough time trying to tap to that tune!

Interesting guitar "solo" at 16:44!

I like jazz, but that's a little too "free form" for me!

Nice guitar though!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oops, forgot about the audience. Won't make that mistake again.

Not that you could find it on the new board, but the first post here on Mary Halvorson and her AA was circa February 2009. Of course the conversations were about the guitar and not her music.

littlesongs

Reaction score
Not that you could find it on the new board, but the first post here on Mary Halvorson and her AA was circa February 2009. Of course the conversations were about the guitar and not her music.

Thank you. Since her guitar has been discussed, kindly remove this thread. No need for an established artist to have to read trash talk. Unless LTG would rather not have players drop by to discuss their instruments.

guildman63

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about offending. Everyones taste in music is different, so if Mary were to read this thread I'm sure it would not cause her to jump off of the nearest bridge. The guitar does sound great regardless, and on top of that neither the guitar nor Mary are particularly hard on the eyes, so keep the pictures and videos coming. Have I offended anyone yet? ;)

dallasblues

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I don't have much of an ear for free-jazz, but there were some interesting things going on there. While I didn't "get" the tune as a whole, I kinda liked some stuff that was going on there.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oops, forgot about the audience. Won't make that mistake again.
Hey there littlesongs, you're not alone here. There are some of us here who listen to and appreciate new music!

I thought it was a pretty cool piece. It reminded me of so much of the exciting experimental music in the late 80s and 90s. I used to play with a group of players who performed a lot of compositions like this. We had two main composers who were influenced by a lot of music that tried to move beyond the AABA standard forms of jazz.

Admittedly, I realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and there are times when I too need to step away. :C)