Just bought this 2000 Starfire

Frank4001

Reaction score
I was looking for a 335 type guitar for playing out and found these late model Stafire 4's. This one is a 2000 I believe. I had a 70's or 80's Stafire 6 many years ago. Anyway I really like this. Seemed like a good deal. The guitar arrived and the case was well used but perfectly fine. The guitar has a nicks and dents. But it plays very well. Frets are either a little low or maybe just flatter than I'm used to so I may re-crown them. The neck is dead straight and it plays in tune. I think it sound great so I don't think I'll be doing any pickup swaps. Finger board is really dark and nice..and easy to get around on. It's light weight. It's serial # AG001519. So I'm pretty happy...

I thought that being that the neck is 3 piece and not as angled at the headstock as a Gibson a gig bag would work ok. What do you folks think?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome and sweet guitar!
I have a 66 with the mini humbies and the same Silverface DR as the one on your pic. Great tones! ;)

mbuc

Reaction score
Nice! Welcome to the club!

By the way, I think it deserves a case. It gives me shivers to put a great guitar in a gigbag but that's just me.

Frank4001

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I'll get chance to gig it tommorrow night. Pick ups are hot but clean up pretty well. It's very comfortable sitting or standing. I've been doing alot of Delta Blues gigs with a great harp player \ singer so I've been sitting a lot and I've been hunched over my solid electrics and hurting my back on long gigs...

This guitar plus a resonator and a 12 string (I have a great old F-412) or six string should have me sitting straighter I hope...

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar; love the blondes! Welcome to the forum.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty! Welcome!

I second the motion to get a case for it - especially for a semi-hollow, a gig bag is risky. BTW, your point about sitting with a solid body guitar is true for me, too - the larger body on the archtops is much for comfortable.

walrus

Reaction score
Very nice... Love the Blondes... I have the same Silver face Deluxe Reverb also.. It's my all time favorite amp.. I bet that blonde sounds awesome through it.. Congrats...

Frank4001

Reaction score
Thanks... Looks like we have some SF Deluxe Reverb fans here too..
That's a '69 I found all modded out with an EV12, 6L6's, solid rectifier, master volume and treble boost about 25 year ago. A great tech here put it back stock except for a tremeloo defeat switch and a negative feedback adjustment knob. It does sound great with the Starfire but in all honesty I can get anything to sound great through that thing... I have Jensen NEO in there right now...

steamfurnace

Reaction score
I have 72 SF Deluxe Reverb that I gigged with for 15 years. About 10 years ago, my amp tech blackfaced it, but to be honest, it sounded great before he "upgraded" it, and it still does. Unfortunately,most of my gigs now are solo acoustic, so my Deluxe sits at home with my Starfire IV, Strats, and Ricks unplayed except for an occasional recording.

Frank4001

Reaction score
I just used the Starfire on a blues duo gig last night. Low volume affair. Friday I have a full band gig and will put through some paces. Took a little getting used to since I've been doing the gig with an ASAT/Classic with a Mare Stelly front pu.
My partner loved the sound as did the sound man.
Once I got used to the shorter scale and feel it worked out great. Much more comfortable to sit and play the Starfire and it feels real solid and stays in tune well.
I know you guys don't think much of the pickups but I thought they were just fine...

My friend leaves a DR Re-Iissue at the club and I used that amp.

I also used an acoustic with a JJB under the brdige pu and a biscuit bridge resonator (has a home made Hot Plate on it) on the gig and the Deluxe Reverb handled all great... I use an EQ pedal with those...