Thoughts on the MIK S100 Polara

Reaction score
Hello, long time Guild admirer here—my dad has an ancient hollowbody—but first time owner and first time poster. I picked up a new MIK S100 Polara on eBay a few days back and figured I'd throw in some details that I didn't notice in Qvart's thread.

It's 8.5 pounds, a tad heavier than the Gibson SGs I usually play (they're all around 6.5) but nothing outrageous. Gorgeous, striped mahogany like Qvart's. The fit and finish are excellent: frets are even and without burrs, no dead spots, no chips or cracks anywhere I could see. The binding could use some rolling/sanding but that's not unusual. The inlays were a tiny bit smaller than the route so they filled around the edges with glue, but the fretboard is even and that's all I really care about. I recently returned an import ESP LTD mostly because its fit and finish were terrible, but Guild apparently knows how to do it right. As far as I'm concerned, attention to detail is similar to my Gibson USA SGs.

The neck is rounded, about .8 inches at the 1st fret and .9 at the 12th. I'm used to 50s Gibson necks (about .83-.86 at the 1st and .93-.96 at the 12th) and can't stand their 60s “slim taper” necks, but it was still comfortable. It probably took me longer to get used to the lack of a neck tilt than the neck profile itself. The neck joint is excellent as is access to the upper frets.

The pickups are okay but not great. Notes lack definition and the lower strings especially are boomy. It gets a great “woman tone” if that's what you're looking for, but don't expect trebly/brittle PAF lead tones. I was expecting 250k tone pots, but I checked and they're 500k, so it has to be the pickups. To be fair, I get this from stock Gibson pickups as well. I freely admit to being a cork-sniffing pickup snob and usually upgrade to hand-wound boutiques, and I'll no doubt do that here as well.

To sum up, it's a pretty nice guitar, especially at its price point. SGs have better wood choice (shaving 2 pounds off the weight) and nitro finish (which ages better) but they also retail for $200-400 more and play essentially the same.

Qvart

Reaction score
Hello, long time Guild admirer here—my dad has an ancient hollowbody—but first time owner and first time poster. I picked up a new MIK S100 Polara on eBay a few days back and figured I'd throw in some details that I didn't notice in Qvart's thread.

Good, someone more technical to give a better description.

Welcome to LTG!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the big board. :)

-Q.

PS:

postpics.gif

Reaction score
And a few more. You may be able to see the too-large inlay route, but it's truly a fraction of a millimeter so hardly noticeable unless you're up close and inspecting it.

Plus, I've gotta love the clean electronics/soldering work. Gibson has moved to printed circuit boards on quite a few of their models, so it's nice to see these done the old fashioned way.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great! Thanks for posting the electronics chamber picture! Had not seen that yet. Interesting to use connectors for plugging in the pickup wires! You seem to be "brave" enough to inspect every angle, so when you find time between the next string change in the future, maybe you could take the pickups out and take a picture of the bottom of the pickups itself, I guess a lot of us are interested to see them. (and if there is a difference in the neck and bridge pickup regarding pole piece spacing maybe)
Enjoy your new guitar!
Ralf

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for posting the electronics chamber picture! Had not seen that yet. Interesting to use connectors for plugging in the pickup wires! You seem to be "brave" enough to inspect every angle, so when you find time between the next string change in the future, maybe you could take the pickups out and take a picture of the bottom of the pickups itself, I guess a lot of us are interested to see them. (and if there is a difference in the neck and bridge pickup regarding pole piece spacing maybe)
Enjoy your new guitar!
Ralf
Haha, "brave" is indeed one word for it! I'm planning on replacing the pickups entirely, so while I'm in there I can get some better shots and details on the pickups, cavity dimensions, info from the bottoms of the bridge and tailpiece, etc. It's foolhardy, but I'll probably be chiseling out the pickup cavities to put in some full-sized humbuckers, but I'll make that decision once I see how much work needs to be done. I'm a fan of Bare Knuckle pickups, but I hear Lollar makes some great mini humbuckers, so if it looks like too much work I may just stay with minis.

The quick connects are pretty awesome. Gibson goes all the way, which I imagine keeps prices low but also makes it more difficult to switch electronics:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm suprised you're not getting enough treble out of those pickups - only have experience with the vintage ones, and those are some very trebly 'buckers!

Thunderface

Reaction score
I played one briefly at Twin Town guitars and, while I wouldn't trade my vintage S-100s for one, if I didn't have said vintage S-100s, I would definitely buy one, especially if it came in sunburst.

Reaction score
I'm suprised you're not getting enough treble out of those pickups - only have experience with the vintage ones, and those are some very trebly 'buckers!

Maybe the pole pieces need some adjustment?
Ralf
It's possible that the pole pieces may just need to be adjusted, or the whole pickups could be raised or lowered. I'd always heard that mini humbuckers were trebly, which is why I was so surprised at how boomy they were. But I suppose "boomy" is relative, too.