Guild f47k on craiglist

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Didn't 2nevets own one (or it) which he just bough a few month ago? That was the Tacoma one that looked like a NH GSR model, right? It was discussed under LTG only a few times in the past I believe.
Ralf

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
You're right, Ralf. But he decided to sell it a while ago. He listed it in FS/FT section and then it went to e-Bay.

All the best,
B.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's so hard to find something now. Search for old posts still does not work, so it's all memory! Good it still works :)
Ralf

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Ok who bought the Guild 47 k?

Guilty as charged.

It took a whiile for Steve and I to coordinate schedules and get together, but it finally happened this past Thursday. I've been waiting until I could get some fresh pictures before I posted a "NGD" thread, but now the cat's out of the bag.

Man oh man, what a guitar! Absolutely stunning to look at, with the koa sides and back, what appears to be a Brazilian rosewood headstock overlay, (that I now believe to be cocobolo), mother-of-pearl inlays on the neck with a very subtle abalone "G" shield inlay on the 12th fret, the "G" shields molded in the tuner bottons, the identifying streaks in the Adirondack top, gold rings encircling the abalone inlays in the bridge pins and end pin, and on and on and on.

And the tone? What can I say - it's a Guild.

I've got to be honest, when I tried it at Steve's, I was a little disappointed. The tone seemed harsh, what my wife described as brittle. I asked Steve what kind of strings were on it and he didn't know, just what came on it. They looked and sounded like 80/20s to me.

I could hear something in it that said it was worth the gamble, so after a little negotiating it was mine.

Yesterday I put a new set of John Pearse P/B lights on it and it came alive. Now it sounds as good as it looks. Warm, rich, lush, and all of the other words we use to describe the sound we love. It's not quite as loud as my F-50R, and doesn't have quite as much bass, but that's to be expected given the body size and the tonewood. But it's very close, and certainly a great sounding guitar in it's own right.

Before I went to check it out I called the Guild C.S. line and had a nice chat with one of the reps. He couldn't find the serial number in the Guild database, but when I told him what it was he said that wasn't surprising, that one-offs ususally didn't make it to the computer. When I asked why they would build one like this and then not put it in production his reply was that the trend today is towards cutaway bodies and electronics, and this has neither.

So, I have a wonderful, unique, one-of-a-kind guitar. If you get the feeling that I'm a happy man, boy are you right!

Update: I just did some searching on the GSR models and found a GSR F-30R. According to the description, the bindings are Ivoroid and the bridge and end pins have a "Parisian Eye". Man, this keeps getting cooler all the time!

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance, but not until I stop playing it long enough to find the camera.

Jeff

P.S. If anybody knows the original owner of this guitar, I'd love to get in touch with him to find out the what, why, and when of it.

Pictures (I hope!)

Of the front:
[/IMG]

The back:
IMG_0645_zps5032360b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The headstock overlay:
IMG_0646_zps5c459946.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and finally that lovely yet subtle G-shield at the 12th fret.
IMG_0650_zps45827e72.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ain't she a beauty?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats, Jeff!

The headstock overlay is cocobolo, I *think*. Not positive.

[edit: Now that I understand this isn't a NH guitar, I am truly not sure of that.]

I can't see any of Steve's pictures from teh FS thread... Please post when you can, Jeff. Would love to see it close-up.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. Boy that sure is a beauty.

I'm going to stick with my cocobolo theory. I'm certain that Tacoma had a few models made with cocobolo headstocks for limited distribution... I think it was for NAMM in 2008, but I'm not sure about that.

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with my cocobolo theory. I'm certain that Tacoma had a few models made with cocobolo headstocks for limited distribution... I think it was for NAMM in 2008, but I'm not sure about that.

That would make sense, because this has a serial number of TK291, indicating a manufacture date of late in 2007.

Cocobolo or Brazilian, it's gorgeous!

Jeff

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy moly, Jeff, that sure is a BEAUTIFUL guitar!! Perfect size and the wood is AMAZING.... and it's got those really deluxe appointments!! Great score!! Thanks for linking to the ad, kinda satiated my appetite for pictures. KINDA. You're not off the hook, photo wise!! :rolleyes: Congrats on an amazing acquisition!!

70man

Reaction score
Beautiful mate,just beautiful ,Really pleased for you ,a wonderful heirloom in the making.Do you think it was a prototype for the 60th anni model ,Are the bindings wood.I love the tuners,super cool with the little g shields on the buttons.Sorry to let the cat out of the bag,my bad.

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
.Do you think it was a prototype for the 60th anni model
That's what the indications are.

Are the bindings wood.

No, they're a slightly off-white plastic (I assume) that match the tuner buttons and the bone nut, saddle, bridge pins, and end pin perfectly. A very cool look.

Sorry to let the cat out of the bag,my bad.

Not a problem. I was going to post a "NGD" thread with it soon anyway, you just prodded me a little.

Now it's time to go play it.

Jeff

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jeff, I may have misheard this, but I seem to recall that the coco faceplates for those special NAMM guitars were actually made in the Nashville Custom Shop. So your guitar may have some history there as well!

As far as any resemblance to the 60th anniv. F-30s that were built last year in New Hartford... I doubt that it was intentional or significantly inspired by your unique Tacoma-era F-47K. However, as someone mentioned earlier, those molded, G-shield tuner buttons, the G-shield fret marker, and perhaps some other details seem to have become part of New Hartford's GSR models. There's definitely some influence there.

Enjoy.

I have found that koa doesn't suit me all that well, but it is spectacular to look at. That guitar, in the F-47 body shape, is a real testament the Tacoma era.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you think it was a prototype for the 60th anni model?
That's what the indications are.
Guys, also as Chazmo said, you are mixing up things here. Why would a 2007 Tacoma made guitar be a prototype for a 2012/2013 60ies anniversary model? Certainly the NH GSR series got the same kind of appointments as that Tacoma one off, that's true. The GSR F-30R or the GSR F-47KC as examples. In any case that Tacoma guitar that Jeff bought from Steve is a really special one and it is clear why Scottsdale has no records of it...
And Jeff: I am pretty sure Hans could give you all details...
Ralf

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
I've been in touch with the original owner and asked him what he know. Here is his reply:

Jeff,
I bought it from Guild. I am the original owner. You would be the third (after Steve, who didn't keep it very long). Since it has hardly been played, it needs to be broken in (typically takes years). It would not have been entered into their system because one off sample prototypes of models which are never launched are not typically put into the system. there are too many models for them to keep track of as it is...

Here is what I sent to Steve when he asked about it.

Although it is based on an F47, I am 99.99% positive this handmade sample guitar is the only one of its kind. It was built as a potential anniversary model for Guild, but (for whatever reason) it did not end up as one. I wish I knew more, but being one of a kind, there isn't really any info to be had online. I bought it through Guild somewhere around 5 years back (very rough guess). It had been sitting quietly in a case and blew me away when I saw it.

That is all I know. Enjoy your new guitar.

As for being made to early to be a prototype, I don't know. I do know that several years lead time for a project like this is not unheard of. I'm sure that Fender started planning for the anniversary a long time ago, and maybe 2008 NAMM was the excuse to put out feelers to see what would sell.

I would really like Hans to check in with any information he has on the subject.

Jeff

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think any speculation that this guitar was any influence on the 60th Anniversary model is groundless, unless Ren F. was aware of it

However, it would not surprise me at all if there is some truth to the speculation that is is related to the 55th Anniversary Model about which I can find hints but no concrete evidence of what, if anything, was built and sold. The "one off" aspects plus the date would certainly be consistent with an idea that was being considered as an Anniversary.

<veer>Once we have search capabilities we are happy with, anyone want to start a thread on Anniversary Models? Which Anniversaries had one that made it into production? Specs? Which years had something that came close? Going by memory I know there were 50th and 60th and possibly 55th. Where there any earlier ones?</veer>

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
<veer>Once we have search capabilities we are happy with, anyone want to start a thread on Anniversary Models? Which Anniversaries had one that made it into production? Specs? Which years had something that came close? Going by memory I know there were 50th and 60th and possibly 55th. Where there any earlier ones?</veer>
25th Anniversary D25 although it was the anniversary of the model introduction, not Guild's "birthyear". Never heard of any other anniversary models and an actual 55 year Anni. model making it into production seems highly unlikely given that's when things were pretty much as bad as they could get for Guild..