Ngd: 2007 f40

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
At some point in the late 1990s, I spent an idle afternoon in the guitar shops on West 48th Street. I'd been playing my D25 for a number of years by then, and I dearly loved it, so I gravitated toward the Guilds (and at that point they were still relatively easy to find). Some I liked, some didn't grab me, but there was one guitar in particular that stood out. It was an F40 Valencia, it had the best balanced sound of any guitar I'd ever played, it was immediately comfortable, and if I could have afforded it at the time it would have followed me home. But I had recently established a new residence, and I wasn't playing in public at the time, and I loved my D25, and it just didn't make sense. So I left it behind. But I never forgot it.

Fast forward roughly 15 years. I've long since left behind the notion of "makes sense" when it comes to guitars (because, really, I could still get by with my trusty D25). And so, when an F40 popped up on eBay at what looked like a very good price* from Street Sounds, at a time when I had funds available, I bit.

(*Little did I know that, if I'd waited, and the guitar had still been there four days later, I could have saved 15 percent. So it goes.)

The guitar showed up today. It's from the Tacoma era, and although it was sold as used, it looks to be new old stock--I don't see a mark on it, and the plastic is still on the pickguard. I took it out, tuned it up, put it away for a few hours, took it out again, strummed a couple of chords, and, boom, there they were, the sweetness, volume, and balance that I remembered. Seriously, this guitar is loud. The action is a bit high, and it does need new strings--these are sticky, grabby, and squeaky--but the first impression is very positive.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
If we don't see pics it didn't happen. But congrats anyway. I have really enjoyed the F40s I have sampled especially the Tacoma ones. Very balanced like you said. A good set up will make it play like a dream.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jeff,

Does it have "USED" stamped on the headstock and/or a scratched out or taped over label in the body of the guitar?

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ridgemont: it happened.

F40-800.jpg

Chazmo: No "used" stamps (or similar) anywhere.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dang, that's a beauty!!!!!

OK, so "used" really just means previously owned (or unsold NOS) in this case, Jeff. That's good news! I was about to inform you of the mixed history of USED (reclaimed) guitars from Tacoma, which is now a moot point. :)

6L6

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! My fav Guilds are the ones built in Tacoma.

Bill

'74 D-40
'06 D-55
'06 D-40BJ

charliea

Reaction score
I bought one from them a few months ago, also listed as "used" on eBay. I sent them an eMail about it, and they responded that it was not actually used, just a store demo, and was being sold with full new warranty. I saved the eMail and bought the guitar.

zombywoof

Reaction score
Congrats.

By the late 1990s though, 48th Street was just a shadow of its former self. I will never forget back in the mid-1960s, three of us hopping the train and heading down there. Two of us came home with brand new Guilds - a 6 and a 12 string. I was the odd man out on this trip having just spent the princely sum of $125, which was everything I had at the time, on an old Gibson L-00.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chazmo, thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten about the dumping of substandard Tacoma stock as "used." But I seem to have dodged that particular bullet.

Zombywoof, my history with West 48th Street doesn't go back to the '60s, but I remember my first buying trip at around the time of high school graduation, in 1982. It was overwhelming (I wound up with a yamaha dread). The decline has been steady and sad.

Bill, so that's why you dumped your Corona D50! Happy I could help out.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Quick update: I got the guitar back from being set up yesterday and spent an hour or so playing it last night and this morning. It plays much better now. The neck seems a bit fuller than the necks of my other 6-strings--not a bad thing,but it definitely feels different. It really does look like new, and it's clear that it has some opening up to do. That said, it is LOUD. As in, louder than a D50 loud. The strings need to settle in a little before I can make further assessments of the sound.