Guitar #002....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay guys, things have not been too quiet here. The roomie, Don, has been plodding ahead with the second guitar build. This one is a mahogany 12-fretter, short scale, slot head guitar kit from Stew-Mac. I have to tell you with the first kit being from Martin, there really wasn't much expected. Martin is great if you call them about parts, and might support if you wanna know about your project (don't know about that one) but they don't give you much. Somehow with the kit from Steward-McDonald I expected even less. However, I was SHOCKED with the amount of information. HUGE full bed-sized plans that fold out in actual size that show you how EVERYTHING is cut and done and put together. And with a booklet that's complete and detailed about every detail and step and, as if that's not enough, a DVD showing you every step of the build. If anyone is planning to build a kit guitar.... DO STEW-MAC FIRST!! Tackle Martin after you have a bit of experience under your belt!!

Anyway, after rambling on forever.... this is WAY more abbreviated than the first build. But it's moving right along. Here's what we have so far.

The soundboard is braced. This is before the final scalloping of the braces.

nzas.jpg

The box is braced and closed in. Neck set in the joint just to see it all together.

bhut.jpg

I made Don a "waist clamp" from some laminated wood that was leftover from another project. It came in handy while keeping the shape of the guitar when closing up "the box" and then later on it came in handy as a "third hand".....

kqb5.jpg

So that's the newest project, if y'all are interested..... it's fun!! Also, just bought a new compressor today. The old one was doing really well after 20 years but it just BLEW UP and ... I don't wanna burn the place down here, so.... we got a new one today from Sears. Still in the box... tomorrow will be fun. New tools and stuff!!! YAAAAY!!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
12th fret at the body should make it a pleasure to play too, this passtime might get habit forming...............if you are lucky.

silverfox103

Reaction score
I think you woke up a sleeping giant. Being the second, I am sure this one will go together easier; after all Don is now an experienced luthier. I guess we can call you Tom, his apprentice. Remember, always watch the master.

Tom

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! I find these threads interesting as I have no woodworking skills whatsoever. You guys have both patience and talent!

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool Tom. I love 12 fret guitars, and this one will be fun to watch take shape.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So one of the very frustrating parts is chiseling out the recess for the little diamond-snowflakey position markers on the fretboard. Not an easy task!! But they're looking great.

brk.jpg

On a cranky note, the damn compressor that I bought yesterday looks to be defective with quick connects that are frozen and don't work. Not only that when I was going down the list item by item comparing features, how did I miss that this one is not an "oil-less" type? Two strikes.... I'm returning it now. I'm gonna get that other one that I was looking at and comparing to.

Off to Sears and possibly, Sonic for lunch!! :chargrined::chargrined:

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another cool project! I love the "blow-by-blow" as it moves along.

Dave

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Looking good, Tom! I usually trace the inlay pattern and use a Dremel tool with a small router base and a downward spiral bit. You can get those from stewmac as well.
They work really well for lots of things during a build. Nothing wrong with using the chisel though! Looks like some good quality material in the kit. Build on, my friend!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Guys and Gals, I know it's been a long time since the last post on this one. Work has been progressing slowly and I haven't been that diligent about documentation on this one. Unfortunately, just like the last build, the time for lacquering parts and doing finish work fell during the winter, and it was too cold on most days to be spraying lacquer. So, there's been some downtime. However, we've had enough days barely over 60 degrees to finish that up, and Don just glued the neck on. It's starting to look more like a guitar every day..... just thought I'd update y'all on this project.

aets.jpg

TJNY

Reaction score
That is a very cool project. Perhaps something for the retirement years!!! Keep the updates coming. More pics too!!

fretless

Reaction score
Wow! i've never tackled anything remotely that cool, but StewMac has always been a big help to me. Great folks, there! i can't imagine doing something as amazing as BUILDING A GUITAR!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, you know how cruel it is to post abbreviated photo galleries. LOL

Seriously, well done! Thanks for the post, as it is always inspiring.

And now inquiring minds want to know...what is the compressor (back) story?

And Sonic???

;~}

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, Christopher, I took the compressor back to Sears and got the other one..... the Craftsman evolve. It does everything I need to do and takes up very little space. My last two compressors were Craftsman and they held up for many, many years. Very happy with the new one. Now as far as Sonic goes... I'm sure it was tasty, as usual, but.... that was back in June, I think. I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast so I'm afraid I have no more details on that meal. I'm thinking this is gonna be a nice little mahogany 12-fretter!! :encouragement:

silverfox103

Reaction score
Tom, you know how cruel it is to post abbreviated photo galleries. LOL

Tom, that finish looks great; but Christopher is correct. You haven't posted in 6 months and then 1 picture, and we're supposed to be happy with that, how insensitive! You do know that we have a professional photo journalist on staff. He's not cheap, but he does a good job. Without giving him a plug, it's easy to find his work on the forum; isn't it Joe.

Tom