'64 Starfire IV + Compton Bridge???

maddox9

Reaction score
My '64 SF IV was just dropped off at the shop to get some work done, including the following:

- Installation of a 60s Guildsby
- Electronics cleaning and testing
- Upgrading the bridge to be suitable for Bigsby use

The last part is in limbo, as I'm trying to figure out which aftermarket bridge will work best for this guitar. I'm heavily favoring a Compton bridge for price and aesthetics, but I know very little about the technical details of my guitar. I can't order the bridge until I know my post spacing and neck radius (which my tech is finding out for me), but my other concern is retrofitting a Compton bridge onto the existing original Hagstrom wooden base.

I don't mind sticking with a wooden base, and I kind of prefer it honestly, but I need to know if I'll have to replace the existing base with another wooden base? Do Comptons typically sit high to the point where I can't achieve a desired lower action? I'm just trying to avoid shaving the bottom of a bridge base, and I'm 100% against modding the original Hagstrom base, as I'd like to keep that bridge assembly and the original Harp tailpiece unmolested so things can be brought back to stock if desired.

I'd love some help and insight on this. The sooner I understand what I need, the quicker I can get things going for my tech. Thanks!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The neck set is going to determine what goes in there. I had to do some pretty aggressive filing on the bottom of my sflll to get the action down. :-(

gilded

Reaction score
Cool deal! A Knight of the Round Table begins his quest for the Bigsby Chalice!

My '66 Starfire III has a 2" string spacing E to E on it's Bigsby bridge-top and a 9" radius on the fingerboard. I bet your guitar is the same.

Compton and Tru-Arc sell their bridges in either 9.5" or 12" radius. You can also special order the Tru-Arcs in a 9" radius, but it takes a while! Compton says to contact them about special orders. 9.5" would be pretty darn close, methinks.

I'd have your luthier use the old bridge to measure the appropriate bridge height for the action you want, then call/email those two concerns and have them spec out the minimum height of their bridges sitting on the wooden basses they provide for sale with their bridge tops. That way you can see if their product will fit. I'm thinking that your luthier is going to be doing some shaving work on a new base!

Compton uses Darren Riley bridge bases, but doesn't provide the measurements for height, etc. You could go to Compton's site, go to their Home section, select 'bridge bases' and get a link to Riley's site and ask them their bridge bottom heights, with the wheels screwed all the way down.

By the way, I think the Compton bridge tops are 1/2" high, but I haven't verified it. The Tru-Arcs may be around the same height (can't remember, maybe .53"? I know I read that, I just can't remember which company the info applies to!). If you are really in trouble for bridge heights, Tru-Arc makes a Low Rider bridge but only in a 12" radius. Maybe, it could be special ordered in 9.5"?

One thing to remember is that you will have much more acute break-over angle with a 'low roller bar' Bigsby than a regular Bigsby. Acute break-over angle translates into extra downwards pressure on the bridge top, which means that the bridge-top string grooves will be more likely to catch strings than a regular set-up. I think if you use the Compton, you better be ready to use some Nut Juice on the the nut and the bridge top slots. As well, since Comptons sit flat on the bridge-wheels and Tru-Arcs have a rounded surface on the areas of the bridge that sit on the wheels, one will surely work better than the other with your guitar, I just don't know which one is the best! I guess you better buy both bridge types and sell the Loser of the shoot out to me!

Obviously, I am very interested in your project. Please see if your luthier will keep a log on what height the bridge should be (and other pertinent measurements!) for folks who may care to try the same thing in the future.

Good luck! All the best, Harry

Last edited:

rcboals

Reaction score
Contact Wayne directly at Compton he is the guy that designed them. He is extremely helpful I'm sure he would help you. I have bought several Comptons and even had him drill one for the old Bigsby Bridge Base. I love his bridges. Good luck.

maddox9

Reaction score
Fresh back from Bill and Mike over at Tone Broker Guitars. Installed the Compton and a Darren Riley bridge, and tossed the Guildsby on for me. I finally scored an accurate pre-'66 Starfire guard, which is currently mickey-moused on with a supposed Guild pickguard bracket (although it isn't).

The bridge is a HUGE improvement in tone. The guitar has more zing and feels more alive acoustically. The bigsby is great as well. Not a lot of break angle, so I've gotta be careful with bends, but otherwise I hear a distinct improvement in tone.

Kudos to Compton and the guys at Tone Broker for doing me right! My band is opening up for national act Family of The Year tonight, and the SF will get primary guitar duties!

Zelja

Reaction score
Hey maddox - those Darren Riley bridges are just Gretsch bridges are they not? Did you need to sand anything off the bottom of those?

I bought a Compton for my SFV but I will need a lower bridge base than what I have got currently to bring the action down a bit more. I think my 2nd string '"pings" a bit with the Compton though the sound overall is a lot better than the original aluminium Bigsby bridge. I may have to try a different stringset. I have a TOM style bridge on the guitar currently and that also sounds really good. I am not a fan of the Bigsby bridge/base at all - way too0 tinny & harsh sounding to my ears.

maddox9

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Darren Riley base. I meant to emphasize that the Compton seems to be contributing quite a substantial tonal change/upgrade to the guitar. I don't believe my tech had to sand the base down. However, the compton is sitting as low as it can go on the base. If I wanted any more movement, I'd have to sand it down. That being said, the action is perfect for me. I like a medium action that allows enough relief for slide work, so I wasn't looking to have the whole thing cranked down real low anyway.

The bigsby is operating very well. One thing to note: At this point, the bridge has not been slotted. So far it hasn't been a total nightmare, but I am a bit weary of the long term effects of not having it slotted. I got through two major gigs this past weekend without any trouble, but it does come down to overall feel. I don't completely trust the strings sliding across the saddle like they're doing now. Then again, I haven't had to tune every 5 seconds either, and that includes bending notes and/or using the bigsby. I guess I'll just let it play out a little longer to see if I'm truly comfortable with how it is. Otherwise, my tech will slot it.