Lookee what I found at a garage sale...can you guess??

rachelsdad

Reaction score
m8l0.jpg
5rcj.jpg

rachelsdad

Reaction score
I was driving by and I saw this guitar in a garage sale. Guy is a pawn shop owner.

Looked at it, looked at teh back and said omg...

Looked inside and yup....

hint: Probably doesn't belong in the GUILD Acoustic thread....

more pix if wanted...look at the nut!!

sv0o.jpg

Last edited:

Wilfred

Reaction score
I'll try, a D-40 in need of TLC?

Edit: OK, considering your hint, a non-Guild dread in need of TLC?

rachelsdad

Reaction score
TLC is probably an understatement but look at the pix and chime in. I think there is water damage based on teh iside pix and then someone tried to strip it...look at the head and where the neck meets the body. I ended up paying $20 for it. As I was leaving, I saw a baby blue guitar case in the garage, (it is a 77 D-28).

Asked him if he wanted to sell it...he said no, it was a Martin case and he could get "big bucks" for it.

Quite frankly I did not care as I wanted to get out of there pronto...but of course I drove back half an hour later...(the replacement bridge was in there btw). I got it for $10....

So, $30, probably not worth it..but I will see what can be done.

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10274131/

rachelsdad

Reaction score
you're up early....

I've refinished lots of furniture in my time but have never sprayed or used lacquer. (I am assuming that is what was on this...I'll find out), btw, that is not scratching on he first pic...it is either water or finish remover that sloshed off the top

First thing is to let it air out a bit, string it up and if it doesn't fold in on itself...who knows, it may have a chance....not sure if it was in a fire or was owned by a smoker....

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Very cool. At a garage sale this weekend, a guy wanted $60 for a '60s Stella by Harmony. I walked thinking it was fair, but didn't need it. But this is definitely worth restoring! What a story to go with that D28.

rachelsdad

Reaction score
But this is definitely worth restoring! What a story to go with that D28.

I guess that begs the question.

Assuming it is structurally sound, (look at the interior pix...weird looking bits of stuff and colors), what would a refinish cost by a competent tech?

I would get a correct nut, bridge, heel plate for the neck and perhaps replace the pickguard, (missing)...and of course a Martin decal for the head

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What interior pix? Did you post them?

What's your goal here, rachelsdad? If it's to get a good-playing guitar back in service, I would wait until you work through all its issues one at a time before worrying about the finish.

If it's restoration, well, this guitar is gonna' be a money pit unless you want to try your hand at lutherie.

rachelsdad

Reaction score
They are on the link I have in the post. I tried to get more on but they will not load

What is my goal,?? Yeah, first and foremost to see if it can stay in one piece and be played, but you are correct the finish would be last to do. Just trying to get an idea of that cost.

Frankly, if it holds together after I put the strings on tonight I would play it as it sits today, save for a new nut and bridge, as it may be more fun and a better "story".

But I don't know yet. Just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys had to say and to get an estimate on some numbers as there are no local lutheries here

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That looks pretty OK, rachelsdad. Yeah, old water damage (or some sort of liquid), but I don't see any cracking or kerfing separation... That doesn't look like anything but cosmetics in that shot.

I think what you see as the dark patches are oil from the rosewood that were pushed aside by the water/liquid.

You can see how the seepage bled out from the fabric / tape strip out into the wood (the fabric trapped liquid for a while). But, again, I don't see any damage to the sides.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I say take your time and enjoy fiddling (guitarring?) with it. As I alluded earlier, it could be a fun project and for 30 bucks, what's to lose?
I'll take it off your hands for 40! :biggrin-new:

Joe

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If I failed to say you got your money's worth, I apologize. Obviously, that's a steal. Especially if it actually plays with new nut and saddle in place.

I think that mold/grime on the outside of the guitar should come off pretty easily with a little naptha and/or soap/water.

rachelsdad

Reaction score
actually the grime and stuff on the outside appears to be a botched strip job as can be seen here on the side of the headstock.

wcfj.jpg

the sitka top is pretty bad as well as far as finish goes...with a bad scrape along the fretboard...which seems to be the only real damage to teh wood.

ne8s.jpg