F50R vs D55

Reaction score
First off, this site rules. I've lurked for a while. You all seem super kind and helpful. So thanks in advance.

Secondly, I am not an acoustic player, traditionally. I play Les Pauls. I like to play them loudly. And I like to write and play faster, angular stuff (in the vein of the first Police record, Guided by Voices, Afghan Whigs, etc, fap fap fap).

That being said, my band doesn't tour anymore and we only play in town sparingly. SO, I want to start playing more solo shows. And I want to start playing more casually around the house for my son. I have a few Garage Sale acoustics. But now I want to play a big boy guitar and after thinking that I wanted a Gibson, I discovered that Guild is more bang for the buck. So here goes...

I want a top notch acoustic that:
• has great bass response
• is versatile
• is loud as balls
• can take a strummed beating
• has a fast neck
• did I mention loud as balls?
• is easy to play
• has block inlays
• burst finish

Occasionally I finger pick, but it's not fancy stuff.

So my question is, where do I start with Guilds? I have $$$ saved.

I don't have any real Guild dealers within 180 miles besides Sam Ash. I prefer working with independent dealers. I have played D50 and D40s at Sam Ash, though, and they rule. But I'd like something even a bit louder in a Sunburst, preferably with block inlays. The D55 and F50s seem to meet the bill. Are the necks fast?

Sorry for being such a novice. Any insight would be really appreciated. I guess my plan is to order a few and test drive them.

Thanks, y'allz.
-b

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Sam Ash is a fairly recent addition to the Guild dealer network. The Guild folks are happy to have them, and the Sam Ash guys are purportedly well trained in the GUild line. Not all stores carry US-built versions, though. However, if you find one that does, you may be able to A/B a D-55 with an F-50R.

In terms of advising you... I won't :) They are both magnificent guitars, and which one you end up liking more is entirely personal.

While a new instrument is always least risky, one thing you might want to consider is to go wtih the used market. Many/most of us on LTG have lots of experience with this and maybe could help guide you that way.

Again, welcome aboard.

Zelja

Reaction score
Welcome to the board. I like your taste in music & I'm probably interested in the same question you are as well!

From what I have gathered over the 2 plus years I have been on the board, a dread will generally be louder than a jumbo, though the jumbo may have a more even response across the board (i.e. a dread may emphasize the bass more). I personally am biased towards a jumbo (as they look cool) but the next time I get to the US I will go check a few NH Guilds (F50, F50R, F47R, D55) out & try to pick one out while leaving my prejudices aside. From what I understand some of the "Bluegrass" designated models with the red spruce top are supposed to be quite loud as well.

If you are interested in older models as well, the humble D25 is also renowned for it's projection (probably due to its arched back) & has a reputation for being a bit of a "cannon". I certainly love mine.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
In my experience, the best bang for my Guild bucks over the 36 years that I've owned one has come from my '89 D50 and my '79 D25. They both blew away anything around them and they head the list of "guitars I'd like to have back."
The D50 was probably the best acoustic I've had in 43 years of playing.

Enjoy the search, :rugby:
Joe

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG (again). I'll agree with the folks above and say that (in spite of the size difference) the dreads are usually louder and more "in your face" than the jumbos. Not to say that an F50R isn't a great guitar, though.

For grins, try an older D-25 if you can find one. They can be loud and aggressive. Inexpensive, too.

jgmaute

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! What a nice problem, money saved and needing to decide between two wonderful Guilds. Needless to say we want many pictures of the winner. I'm a D55 lover, but what is best for you only you'll know. Maybe it's time for a road trip? Where are you located? Have fun selecting, getting, and getting to know your new Guild and let us tag along. Joan

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
A few thoughts..."take a beating strumming" and "loud as..." conjures up Adirondack (Red Spruce) as top of choice. "Fast neck"...hmmm? Well, the NH-builds have a somewhat slimmer neck than the Tacoma's, and the Standard-Series has a somewhat slimmer neck (satin finished) than the Traditional-Series. Adi-topped D50-Standard...uh sorry bro, don't make it...LOL!

Let me say this though, empirically I found that the Standard Series D40 and 50 easily cut through all the cacophony that was LMG I and LMG II. Easier to play and hear your self with those pieces than any other...I lie, also the F412. So just maybe a Red Spruce top isn't the main requirement (the Standards have Sitka Spruce tops), and the Red Spruce bracing is the ticket?

Without a doubt, you have to go out and try some guitars. Go to guildguitars.com and find some dealers relatively close to you, give 'em a call and see what they have...or, come to LMG IV !!

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Joe & Dave both mentioned D25's; I was thinking of those as well, up to the "block inlays". If that's not a deal killer, & you can find one to try, a vintage, arched back, spruce top D25 is definitely worth checking out. A good one can be about as "inyourface" as anything out there. And available in 'burst, I believe.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To be fair, volume (aka loudness) may not be defined the same way by every ear. And that is assuming that all the available ears are operating at peak efficiency. Hearing loss complicates the discussion even further. I think the term “perceived loudness” is possibly a more accurate way of thinking about the topic of volume. In addition to the oft-heard discussion regarding sound pressure level and the decibel rating attributed to it, both duration and frequency play a huge role in determining perceived loudness.

If we are talking solely about the un-amplified acoustic guitar, loudness is directly related to the guitar’s ability to move air, creating soundwaves at a given pressure, within a certain frequency spectrum and over a particular period of time. The shape and size of the guitar, as well as the bracing pattern and choice of construction materials and methods can all affect the outcome.

All other things being equal, generally speaking, a flatter soundboard will be louder than a more radiused one, as it is able to move more freely. Volume can also be attributed to the size of the body of the guitar, as a larger plate can move more air than a small one. It is important to note that body depth is related more to the shaping of the sound than to volume, with a deep-bodied guitar being more cavernous sounding or boomy than a shallow body. Both dreadnought and jumbo body styles are large guitars when compared to parlor or concert body sizes, and can be quite loud. Then again, a small bodied guitar can be perceived as loud over a particular frequency range.

The legendary dreadnought has a reputation for cutting through the mix in a way that has made it a preferred choice for solo flat picking. That ability is attributable to it’s having a narrower, more tightly focused broadcast frequency than a typical jumbo, yet being large enough to throw it’s voice at the back of the room with the best of them.

Similarly, jumbos are known for their big bass response, complex sound and overall volume, features which are possible due to their sheer size. This makes them great rhythm guitars, though many fingerstylists choose to play them in order to benefit from their ability to deliver more complexity at lower overall volumes.

When pitting the dreadnought and the jumbo against one another, I like to contrast our beloved Guild "flattop" 12 strings: A dreadnought Guild G-312 sounds perfectly fine, but it is not known to overpower an F-512, let alone the legendary F-612, in the volume category.

Having said all that, with my foot firmly in my mouth, I add that I have played small 00 and 000 size guitars that were so efficient, mechanically, they were exceedingly loud, almost unbelievably so.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I have a lot of respect for Christopher's inputs re "size". He's got a lot more experience with jumbos than I do. Actually I don't have any.
On the other hand, my '96 D25 can be heard across half a football field. The way I play it, anyway.
Lots to be said for an arched back, there.
Then I think about Richie Havens at Woodstock.
He plays a flatback dread.
His backup guy's playin' a jumbo.
Both are Guilds.
Any questions?
:biggrin-new:
One last thought:
The real answer is to find a nice late '90's D25 (arched back) for your son and a nice F50 of any vintage for yourself.
Then you can have volume contests the way some guys play one-on-one on the driveway with a basketball.
I gotta warn you though them D25's can be as loud as balls.
Louder, even.
Have fun!

Last edited:

kbob2

Reaction score
Got my D-55 coming in to sweetwater Monday then to me! First one I will have owned. I have martin HD28 and HD28V custom. I hope and pray I am not let down...

kbob2

Reaction score
Call Jack at sweetwater but he will be back Monday 8/19. He will give a great deal! If you intend to contact him private message me and I will call him and try and get you a better discount. Can't get it on your own. I have bought 10 guitars last two years is why I get the best rate!

RussB

Reaction score
How loud are balls? Fast neck is just to subjective...one's man's fast is another man's unplayable

My F-50 is a loud, room filling kinda guitar, both physically and sonically

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got my D-55 coming in to sweetwater Monday then to me! First one I will have owned. I have martin HD28 and HD28V custom. I hope and pray I am not let down...

Glad to hear it, Kbob!!! As I mentioned, comparing it to your HD28s will be very interesting indeed. I happen to be a big fan of the HDs. I think you will find the Guild to be better balanced and I think you will love it.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
I have USA guilds, both Tacoma and Westerly models, as well as 2 high end Taylor gits, as shown in My sig line.
Add to the pile, a couple of GAD models, and some Washburn gits...all acoustics.
The loudest acoustic git in My stable is easily the GAD D50 (burst).......it'll knock Martins and Gibbys off a wall, plus it very decent, tonal-wise.
Surprisingly similar in tone to my to My D-55 Tacoma built git, minus a few honey-sweet notes, here & there.
I'm not saying to run and buy a GAD D50, but You just might wanna pick one up and check it out, if authoritative bass & tone are Your venue.

6L6

Reaction score
The loudest acoustic I've ever owned/played is this '76 Guild F-50 I used to own. The maple sides/back made for an outstanding instrument in every way. Here's a pic:

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Bill

kbob2

Reaction score
Guitar comes Tues ...Please don't be a let down!! D-55
My martin HD28 and HD28V custom madi/adi need a buddy!

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I sold a JF-55 and bought a D-55 because the Jf-55 wasn't loud enough to stay up with the Dreds at my Jams.
The new owner of the JF-55 is a fourm member and he agrees with me that the JF-55 isn't a loud guitar.
It is a sweet and ballanced guitar but not as loud as my Dreds are.

It's like the bigger box holds the sound inside a little longer before it escapes the sound hole.