Looking for a '57 T100D...

jcwu

Reaction score
Our church's founding and senior pastor, my brother-in-law of 12 years, and my employer and mentor for the last 5 years, passed away in early September at the tender age of 56 after battling cancer for 18 months. Something in my gut says I would like to be able to remember him with a birth year guitar, more specifically a '57 T100D.. I'm not looking too seriously yet, because while the spirit is willing, the wallet is weak. But I'm starting to slowly save up.

How much would such a guitar run? I'd like one that's a two-tone burst. Not pristine, either, since I am hoping to pop my spare HB-1's in there, and maybe add a bigsby if it doesn't already have one, and I'd rather not do that to one in good mostly-original condition. Hoping to stay close to the $1000 range.

I've seen a few '56, '58 and '59's pop up, but haven't seen '57s lately. At times I waver and think, "Well, '59 *is* pretty close..." but then I think, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this right and wait for the right year.

Anyways, if anyone spots anything, I would appreciate a holler. Thank you!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Our church's founding and senior pastor, my brother-in-law of 12 years, and my employer and mentor for the last 5 years, passed away in early September at the tender age of 56 after battling cancer for 18 months. Something in my gut says I would like to be able to remember him with a birth year guitar, more specifically a '57 T100D..

I've seen a few '56, '58 and '59's pop up, but haven't seen '57s lately.

Hello jcwu,

Don't want to spoil the searching fun, but I have serious doubts that you've seen a T-100D from 1956 or that you will find a model from 1957.
There is a possibility that you will find an early T-100, but as far as I know, the T-100D wasn't introduced until 1958.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
Yes, the T100's are what I've seen. Thanks for the education.

All the more reason to look for a beater!

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Did you give archtops.com a call as they are really close to you? jim

jcwu

Reaction score
I've sent Joe an email. Still looking! I got to play a '59 T100 yesterday, and... I finally understand what it means for a guitar to be light and resonant. Wow.

Reaction score
I just found this thread and wanted to add that I do have a 1957 Guild T100 guitar. I've only run across one other T100 from that year, and both are single pickup guitars.

I also wanted to add that these guitars came with P90 "Dogear" style single coil pickups, so you probably wouldn't want to try and swap that out for your HB-1.

jcwu

Reaction score
The '59 that I played also had the dog-ear P90, and it sounded so warm and woody. I think I'm sold on the P90. :)