1953 X-175 versus a Newark Street X-175...

guildman63

Reaction score
Hey Pascal, any.idea what this guy is saying? He had better not be bad-mouthing Guild or Americans :angry:

Walter, what do you think? Sounds pretty darned good to me.

jcwu

Reaction score
This kind of video review is prefect - you're not swayed by what he's saying, because you can't understand it. All you can do is listen to the guitar and judge for yourself! :)

jcwu

Reaction score
As for me, the only difference to my inexperienced ears is that I could hear more of the actual unamplified strings with the NS X-175 recording, at least in the beginning of the clip, as if the amp wasn't turned up as loud and therefore wasn't drowning out the room.

Other than that, both sounded really good. I'll take one of each.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In summary:
He says everything you can hear on the demo: that the sound difference is not huge (more bass and warmth, a more "woody" tone on the 53, as opposed to the re-issue), but also that he finds the new model more comfortable and easier to play than the older one.
He started the clip by advising everyone not to get fooled by the "made in Korean" stamp, as in this case, it does not reflect the "cheap quality" often associated with the label, because it is in fact a very nice and well crafted instrument.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He is definitely convinced it's a 53, he even mentions that it's one of the very first ever made, and the 60 years gap between both.....
So what are the clues?

A 1953 X-175 will have only one volume and one tone control, no Chesterfield headstock inlay, no 'Lucite' pickguard and there are a few other differences but you can look for them when you get home tonight.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter, what do you think? Sounds pretty darned good to me.
Honestly, I'm not crazy about the guy's playing or the sound he's getting out of either of them, but yes, they sound pretty similar, don't they? Still waiting to get my hands on a new one.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not crazy about the guy's playing or the sound he's getting out of either of them, but yes, they sound pretty similar, don't they? Still waiting to get my hands on a new one.

Agreed. It's very rare to find a demo that actually gives a good sense of the guitar potential under every possible sound that may or may not appeal to the viewer...
But here, the choice of a "muddy" sound is definitely not very helpful for the purpose, and does not serve the re-issue well I must add.....

guildman63

Reaction score
Even if it is a 59 or 60 it is still nice to hear a comparison between the original Franz pups and the new ones. I agree that the tone could have been better. I would have used a vintage Fender amp, or maybe a Guild amp. :tongue-new: As for his playing, I am in no position to criticize it, just his choice of amp and settings. I suspect there will be more similar comparisons very soon between the other NS models and their vintage counterparts, and I can't wait!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Even if it is a 59 or 60 it is still nice to hear a comparison between the original Franz pups and the new ones.
Oh, the old guitar he's playing is actually perfect for the comparison, because it's obviously the era of X175 that the Newark Street one is based on!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1 that a "clean" sound would have been very interesting to hear. I'd like to hear the guitar, not the effects. Pretty interesting attempt to compare, though.

walrus

mbrindell

Reaction score
HI guys and gals, Here is a photo of my '53 X175. Serial # 1172. All is original except it has a repro pickguard.

I also have a '61 X175B. Both fantastic instruments, but they do sound different. The '53 has a mellower, more woody tone, but will scream on the Bridge pup.

Reaction score
That sounds remarkably close in description to the blonde I'm trying to gather history on. Any Guild's a good Guild, though!

john_kidder

Reaction score
He says in the video that it's a '63 ("soixante-trois"), which seems to fit with the styling and decoration. Definitely not a '53 - I have a SB 53, like it a lot.

He also says the older guitar is not as bright as the new one, but overall, comparable.