Guild F44, Huh?

steveomatic

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1984 Guild F44. I am looking for info on this model but am finding hardly anything. Does anyone have info they can share with me? Is this a rare model?
Thanks,
Steve

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do a forum search for Gruhn Guild. It's a mini-jumbo model designed by George Gruhn during his stint at Guild. They were only made as F-44s for three or four years, I believe. Don't quote me on that!

Overall these guitars are from an interesting era in Guild production, with direct involvement by George Gruhn and Kim Walker, who is one of the best guitar builders in the world. That doesn't mean Kim Walker built that F-44, but I believe he oversaw production. Don't quote me on that either!

If you can get your hands on it, and play it, then to me, they are worth a long hard look!

IMHO YMMV Standard Due Diligence applies!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There's not many of them around. The F-44 was one of the models of the Gruhn era of Guild design. In fact, some of the earliest ones have "Co/designed by G. Gruhn" typed across the Westerly label. This was one of those attempts to reverse the trend of heavily-built guitars from Guild.

They are very pretty. Smaller F-style body with a vintage-toned finish that, by now, will have turned a dark amber color on most of them. Back and sides are solid maple with major flame going on. The headstock is double-bound, with the G and "Guild" inlaid in MOP. Nice inlays in the fretboard, too.

Mine was pretty beat up when I got it. I had a lot of work done to "fixit" up and make it pretty again, but the tone was lacking and it was not able to scratch my maple Guild itch. ('88 D-30 now filling that role nicely) It's since moved on to a new home, where it is deservedly cherished.

Here's a photo of the back of my (used to be) F-44:

I'd say you have to play one and decide for yourself. Some folks love 'em, but some not so much.

tommym

Reaction score
How much do you want for that dud? LOL

I'm not ready to give up on the F-44 just yet. Though it has had a professional set-up, I'm still thinking something has to be amiss with this guitar. Oddly enough, it's the only one of my Guild that has had a professional set-up. It actually sounded and played better after the professional set-up. Still, my recently acquired / re-acquired 70's F-30's steal the show. Both of the F-30's will be getting some overdue repairs / maintenance in 2014, so the F-44 may have to wait until 2015. I typically use Light Gauge GHS Bright Bronze stings on all of my guitars, so I'm thinking its not the strings.

Tommy

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd slap a bone nut and saddle in it. What type of bridge plate does it have? If it's rosewood, then I'd consider a maple replacement, but that is a little bit more expensive of a fix. I'd get an inspection mirror and see if all the braces are tight. Try tuning it down a half step...I have a jumbo Larrivee in maple that doesn't seem as robust at standard pitch but really comes alive a half step down.

Hope you bring it around!

tommym

Reaction score
I'd slap a bone nut and saddle in it. What type of bridge plate does it have? If it's rosewood, then I'd consider a maple replacement, but that is a little bit more expensive of a fix. I'd get an inspection mirror and see if all the braces are tight. Try tuning it down a half step...I have a jumbo Larrivee in maple that doesn't seem as robust at standard pitch but really comes alive a half step down.

Hope you bring it around!

It already has a bone nut and saddle; I don't remember off hand what type bridge plate it has. But yeah, I'll go through it all when the time comes.

Tommy

keith7940236

Reaction score
There is a used F44 at the Guitar Center in San Francisco for $1400.00. I live in Portland so I can't see it in person.

Here's some photos that I had them send me. To me it appears that it has some sinking above the sound hole. I'd guess that it may be due for a neck reset. really nice looking guitar.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Keith, there's plenty of saddle on that guitar, so I'd guess it would depend on how high the action is. Can't really tell that from any of those photos. Straightedge test would settle that question once and for all. These guitars just seem seriously beautiful and have a lot of wood and features that I really like. Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about them? Two owners (one former) seem kinda "Ho-hum" about their individual guitars. Anyone else? :unsure:

keith7940236

Reaction score
I would imagine that it is a great sounding guitar. They each seem to have their own personality. There aren't a lot of them around!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They didn't make that many..the serial number charts show only 266 made?

I guess my question is, why did they cease production of the F-44 after making just a few hundred? Edsels are rare, too.:lemo:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess my question is, why did they cease production of the F-44 after making just a few hundred? Edsels are rare, too.:lemo:

If you base it on guitars Guild stopped building, they must have built a lot of Edsels. They don't make the D-30 anymore either.

I would imagine it had something to do with Gruhn leaving.

Last edited:

steveomatic

Reaction score
I noticed that one on the GC website yesterday. I am interested in it. Only problem is I live in SC so I would have to take my chances. I heard that the GF60 is basically the same model but improved. Anyone know anything about the GF60?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you base it on guitars Guild stopped building, they must have built a lot of Edsels. They don't make the D-30 anymore either.

I would imagine it had something to do with Gruhn leaving.

Yeah, I wonder what factors contribute to the longevity of a particular model.

And, sorry for the major veer, steveomatic. It's been a long day.

Last edited:

keith7940236

Reaction score
I noticed that one on the GC website yesterday. I am interested in it. Only problem is I live in SC so I would have to take my chances. I heard that the GF60 is basically the same model but improved. Anyone know anything about the GF60?

The GF60 is the F46 renamed with a few cosmetic changes; they have rosewood back and sides. The GF30 has maple back and sides like the F44.

Derr5151

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing that guitar for a couple months and mentioned it a while back probably 3 months ago. It sold and was off the Guitar Center website and came back on it after about 2 weeks or so. So someone bought it and returned it for some reason. I have the D64, the dread model and love it, which is why I had considered pulling the trigger on it but i live in hawaii so no store to return it to. Crazy that its still up.....