questions about F-30, traditional vs. standard serie

Reaction score
Dear Guild lovers,

I have few questions about the F-30.

First of all, let me introduce myself, and why I’m thinking about buying a used F-30.
I like to do finger picking / arpeges, but with some strumming part (with no pick).
I don’t like boomy bass.
I like warm midrange
I like sweet but rich treble with oversounds.
I like balanced sound.
I like sustain.
I like to « hear the wood » a little.
I want solid woods (no laminated).
I don’t need a cut away.
I live in France and it is hard to find a store where to try a F-30 Aragon.

I really felt in love with the sound of a F-50 (new std? trad?) and the D-40 (second hand, year ?).
But I like the comfort of playing small guitars. I really like the F-20 (second hand, year ?). So maybe with a bigger body I can gain more volume … so it is why the F-30 seduced me.

FYI, I tried a F-30 R CE (new) but I didn’t like it !!!??? Same with GAD M-120 !!!??? I feel no emotion playing with these two.

Wikipedia says :
« All Standard Series models feature red spruce bracing, satin mahogany necks, and bone saddles, nuts, and bridge pins, but have lower-grade wood (...) than their Traditional Series counterparts. »

Is there a huge difference between Standard and Traditional series ?
Do you think that, with a F-30 Aragon (trad serie) I can find the enchanting-like (overtone/sustain/balance) sound of F-50 or D-40, with a smaller size ?
Do you think it is normal not being enchanted when playing a F-30 R CE (Standard) ?

I may buy a second-hand one :
a 2012 F-30 Aragon (near mint condition)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-f-30-orchestra-acoustic-guitar/h73220005002001 (but photos doesn’t match)
a 1980 F-30 (with the nut replaced with a brass nut !?)
http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16955
a 1968 F-30 with several repairs
http://www.gbase.com/gear/guild-f-30-aragon-1968-natural#

Any advice ?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if there is bad english ;)

Cedric

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
A couple of years ago La Casa de Fronobulax was involved in the discussions leading to the purchase of a new F30 Traditional. The biggest mechanical difference observed during hands on with both at LMG II was the nut width. They are slightly different, or were back then. The biggest cosmetic difference, besides the finish, was the tortoise shell binding on the traditional vs. the white on the standard. Since I'm not the guitar player in La Casa, I can't comment on some of your questions. The decision to buy an F30 was driven more by the size than anything else. The D25 was just too big.

I'm sure if you search some of my posts you might find some contemporary comments about the side by side comparision but that was a few years ago and on a bad day I forget what I had for breakfast this morning.

djangstroem

Reaction score
Welcome Cédric !

Guess that does not really answers your question, but if you can make it to Lille, euroguitar should have a GSR F30 maple (don't remember seeing it last time I went but website lists it as being in stock).
That might not be your favorite choice of wood (plus that's an expensive model), but you would have a hands on experience with an F30 without a cutaway...

Chris

DCannon

Reaction score
Hi Cedric, and your English is great!

It sounds like you're set on looking for a U.S. made Guild, but in your list of what you want in a guitar, that's my F-130R in every respect. Amazing guitar that I prefer over my '72 F-30R and Martins. Each item in your list describes it perfectly. I play Irish music in DADGAD and it's great for both fingerpicking & strumming no matter where capoed, great balance with good-but-not-boomy bass, nice trebles, fantastic warm midrange for bringing out melody lines, excellent sustain, woody tone, all solid woods, exceptional volume/projection, and no cutaway. And it's less than $1k U.S. Depends if you want to stick with a U.S. made Guild or if you're willing to buy an Asian made Guild.

Just thought I would mention another possibility.

Good luck!

DC

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Cedric!
Stick around and your questions will be answered, I'm certain. I'll echo what DCannon said about the F130R. I have one and it's worth your consideration. :tranquillity:

Enjoy your time here,
Joe

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Welcome and have fun during your search. Joe has 2 very nice 30's , though different , for sale. I know because I used to own the Gad 30 and it is very close to what you are looking for, and he is a great guy to deal with.

tommym

Reaction score
....I may buy a second-hand one....

Cedric,

I seriously considered making an offer (much lower than what they are currently asking for) on the one with the brass nut, but the visual damaged to the areas along edges of the brass nut made me reconsidered. The fretboard (where it butts into the brass nut) seems to have been rounded off a bit, and the finish on the headstock side of the nut seems to have some damage too. I was concerned that if I wanted to restore the nut to the original material (which I would), that the swap may have ended up being more than a simple swap and cost some additional $$ to fix the fretboard too. I just waited for some better deals on some F30's to come along, and they eventually did.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
....Do you think it is normal not being enchanted when playing a F-30 R CE (Standard).....

No, guitars are like cars, it just depends on who built it and what day of the week it was assembled. Monday and Fridays are the worst.....:playful:

My 72 F-30 (Mahogany) sounds very dry with very little sustain. I really really like the sound of this guitar, and it is now my go-to guitar.

My 73 F-30 (Mahogany) has a much more lush / richer sound with a lot of sustain, and leans much more to the rosewood side of the track. Much closer to my Froggy Bottom Model M Rosewood.

In theory, these two F-30's, both Mahogany, same body shape, etc. should pretty much sound alike, but they don't. I don't see this as a negative, but I can see where this may cause disappointment among others. If at all possible, you have to play the guitar before you buy it. I don't have that luxury, so once in a while things don't work out so great.

Tommy

Last edited:
Reaction score
GSR F30 Maple

Lille, euroguitar should have a GSR F30 maple.
That might not be your favorite choice of wood (plus that's an expensive model), but you would have a hands on experience with an F30 without a cutaway...

Chris

Hello djangstroem,
I'm lucky, I tried a GSR F30 Maple (2011) today in Guitare Village, 15 km north of Paris.
It sounds like a harpsichord !!! amazing !!! really wonderful ! I just wish it had a very little more bass (but it wouldn't be mapple anymore ... would it be ?)
Nevertheless, I coud experience with a F30 without cutaway, and I liked it a lot. :)

Reaction score
The biggest mechanical difference observed was the nut width.
The biggest cosmetic difference, besides the finish, was the tortoise shell binding on the traditional vs. the white on the standard.
I'm sure if you search some of my posts you might find some contemporary comments about the side by side comparision but that was a few years ago and on a bad day I forget what I had for breakfast this morning.

Thank you fronobulax,

I searched your posts and found some infos:

The F-30 Standard (rosewood) and the F-30 Traditional (mahogany) have different specs. The neck width is definitely a mechanical difference that might matter to you. The binding is different, white or tortoise shell and the Standard has a satin finish. My wife played both, side by side in 2011 or thereabouts and actually ended up preferring the Traditional because the white binding came across as blinding. It was not the best circumstances for comparison but no one who heard both talked about the sound being different. But I can imagine different results with different players in different circumstances.

I did a specs comparison based on the official Guild website, and I may add another differences (tradi / standard) :
- tuning machines : Gotoh SE700-05M Vintage-Style Open-Back / Gotoh Die-Cast
- top wood : red spruce (same as Adirondack) / stika spruce
- neck material : 3-Piece Mahogany/Walnut/Mahogany / Mahogany

But as you said, nothing seems to influence the sound drastically ...

F30%20std%20-%20trad%202013%20specs%20comparison.png

Reaction score
thanks for you advices DCannon, killdeer43, learnintoplay62,
you are all telling me that F-130R or F-130 might be the perfect one for me.

I was going to forget about GAD Guild because :
- I couldn't find one to try in store
- the only GAD I could try (a M-120), didn't impress me at all :
- loosy tuning machines
- a gross finish
- sound with no magic.

But today, I spoke with a guitar shop owner (a Guild lover), and he told me that he liked GAD Guild, that Guild have made build a special factory in China (and not sharing one with Cort or whatever), ...
So, should I change my mind? that is the question ;)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...you are all telling me that F-130R or F-130 might be the perfect one for me. I was going to forget about GAD Guild because : - I couldn't find one to try in store...
There was a F-130 for sale in Paris not long ago. Currently a F-130RCE (or CE?) is for sale: http://fr.audiofanzine.com/guitare-...series-f-130ce/petites-annonces/i.678681.html

But I am surprised no Guild dealer in Paris has a F-130R ? If you go to : http://www.guildguitars.com/dealers/ and enter Paris, France I get so many Guild dealers in Paris. I bet one must have a F-130R.

Woodbrass in Paris usually should have them in their store! They show that they don't have one currently in the Paris store, but I bet they can order one to try, as they have it available usually. Check with them. http://www.woodbrass.com/guitare-acoustique-folk-guild-f-130r-natural-p142172.html

Ralf

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've played the GAD, the Standard series, and the traditional. The GAD is awful nice, and not just "nice for the money", it's a proper guitar, looks nice, plays well, sounds great. Behaves like you expect a guitar that size to behave.

The Standard series is actually a little plainer looking than the GAD, but as soon as you play a couple of chords, you can tell it's a lot more guitar. It's similar, but more 3D, sweeter in the trebles, has a bigger presence and voice, and has more low end. Awesome little guitar.

And then there's the traditonal series one - and if you can afford it, that would be my own pick. Even more "refined" sounding to my ear, and seriously beautiful to look at.

DCannon

Reaction score
I'd choose the F-30 standard or F-30R standard, F-130 or F-130R simply based on the the 1.75" nut. Just a personal thing, but less than 1.75 isn't comfortable. At that point, it's all about dollars and what I could afford. If I could afford it, I'd go with the F-30R standard. If not, I'd go with the guitar I already have...the F-130R. I've played both the hog and rosewood, and consistently prefer the rosewood Guilds, especially in the GAD series. The F-130 sounded a bit thin compared to my F-130R which just has more 'guts'. But again, personal preference.

Don't compare the F-130 or F-130R with the M-120! The M-120 didn't impress me either. The F-130 and F-130R are very different animals. The only thing I don't like about the GAD series are the tuners. I switched them out not long after buying the F-130R.

Reaction score
hello there
it's me again

As I can't easily try a F130, or a F30 standard ... I have to buy it online and as I don't want to be disappointed ... I will go for the F30 traditional :) :) :)
It is expensive but I can't get it out of my mind and, during the search of my guitar, my budget didn't stop rising!!
I don't have it yet ... I will post my first impressions soon.

@SFIV1967 :
yes woodbrass is a nice store. but I went there 3 times and still no F130. But I didn't ask them to order it for me to try.
Guild dealer map says Paul Beuscher also ... but they only have the F30R standard., and I'm more into spruce/mahogany.
@DCannon :
ok for the M120 ;) and I think I see what you mean about the tuners.
@Walter Broes :
yes, it is the "more 3D" and refined sound I'm looking for ...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're still looking, here's a beauty on ebay. Maybe the seller will ship.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Tradi...r-/251438039578?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a8ae0021a
I wouldn't buy a guitar from a zero feedback seller, yet alone a continent away. Might be all o.k., but I still wouldn't take the risk. If I would be local, why not. But not if I am in Europe.
His add looks professional, so he did for sure ebay business before, must be a reason why he started with a new username...
Ralf

Last edited: