Day After NGD...Photos of '07 F-30 Aragon "Iced Tea" Burst

Neal

Reaction score
I'm a certifiable dred lover, but have always been intrigued by the Guild F-bodies. So, after a false start with a '72 F-30NT that unfortunately was just too damaged for me to mess with, I decided to look for something much newer, and in way better shape.

I found this one advertised on Reverb in "dead mint" condition, and the claim, I discovered upon opening the lid, was right on.

Check out the Adi spruce top (my first). It will need some breaking in, because it doesn't look like this guitar has been played for more than a hot second. The case looks like it has never been anywhere, and there are absolutely no signs on the guitar of player wear, even on the pick guard. Who would purchase this guitar and not play the hell out of it?

I left it in the closet with the D's last night, and there was no blood on the floor this morning, so I presume they got along alright. I'll take a few photos of the whole gang when I get a chance.

652b.jpg

5urn.jpg

1v1m.jpg

Neal

'71 D-25BR
'73 D-35NT
'77 D-50NT
'81 D-212SB
'07 F-30 Aragon

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gorgeous pictures. I was tracking this guitar on Gbase for a long time (how long? I believe this post from November 2012 was prompted by the same guitar) and came very close to pulling the trigger several times. Initially, the guitar was listed at a higher price, with a pickup that I didn't want (or want to pay for). I wound up buing a NOS Tacoma F40, and concluded that the Tacoma F30 would be pretty much redundant--but even then I kept glancing at it, especially after the pickup was removed and the price came down, and I came close to buying it once again in early January. Ultimately, again, I decided not to, because it's not exactly what I'm looking for at this point (a short-scale F30R with gloss finish in excellent shape, if anyone happens to know of one available). But you have a very desirable instrument. I'm glad the temptation is now removed for me, and I'm glad the guitar is in the LTG family.

jcwu

Reaction score
Sweet score! Interesting that the case is missing the strap of cloth that holds the lid up when it's open.

Neal

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually kinda like it that way. I always seem to be walking around with the strap hanging out of my other cases.

I don't see any evidence that it ever had one, which is strange.

And jeffcoop, it is my pleasure to remove this temptation from you. Nut width is 1 11/16ths, just like my other Guilds.

She is in desperate need of new strings, but even with the old, tired ones on there now, she just sings. And I love the size.

Neal

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Really happy for you, Neal. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

philfish

Reaction score
Holy crap look at that Adirondack,( always wanted to say that ) And burst,pickguard,bridge
If the guitar sounds as good as it looks you have a good one
congratulations

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Neal! I love the wide grains on that Adi top. I bet it packs quite a punch. That is an ideal fingerpicking guitar.

is the plastic still on the guard?

Neal

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I haven't checked, Woody. Could be.

The grain of the Adi gets really tight as it approaches the center seam, as it should. The craftsmanship is every bit as strong as a stunning Tacoma F-47 I played last week.

Just bought some Elixer Nanoweb Lights to put on her. Oh, boy!

Neal

keith7940236

Reaction score
Congratulations on the guitar. I'm partial to the "F" shape myself. I never was comfortable with dreds. I'm anxious to hear how you like it with the new strings!

Neal

Reaction score
Sounds wonderful with the new Elixers, Keith. I have lights on there now but am tempted to go medium with the next change for added bass and volume. The neck angle is perfect right now, so I think it would take the added strain just fine.

Right now, I have it on a stand next to my D-50 to A-B them, while taking a break from work. Hope none of my bosses are closet Guild-lovers.

The first thing I have noticed is that I can play the F-30 comfortably for a lot longer than the dred. It doesn't give me that pinch in the shoulder and neck after an hour or so of seated playing. It is also a lot better finger-picking guitar than the D-50, with better note separation, as would be expected.

The rosewood D-50 kicks the F-30's *** for volume and sustain, as also might be expected. I still would take it to a crowded jam. But there is a subtlety to the F-30 that the D-50 lacks, a tone that is hard to describe but clearly different than any of my dreds. Articulate might be a good description. Sweet would be another. Mellow would be a third.

Next up will be a comparison between the F-30 and my '71 D-25 (all mahogany flat-back), which has served well as my primary picker, and has become, honestly, my favorite all-rounder. Will it be de-throned? Gonna be close.

Neal

Guitarfish

Reaction score
What I'd like to hear A-B'd is an F-30 and my F-40. I've heard the F-40 just has a bit more headroom. (really don't know).

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't see any evidence that it ever had one, which is strange.
I see it on your very first picture that it was there! Exactly where the black flap of the utility compartment is!

Compare with:

$_58.JPG

Ralf

Neal

Reaction score
Ralf, you are right!

All of my dreadnought cases have the strap down by the side of the lower treble bout, which where I looked for evidence. I never thought to look in the utility compartment.
Opened it up and there it was, detached from the lid, with what looks like staples sticking out of the end. Also, I found the owner's manual and the original warranty card in there.

Neal

Neal

Reaction score
Hey, Guitarfish. What is your experience in comparing the F-40 to your D-55? Is it a fairly similar comparison to the one I made above?

Neal

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds wonderful with the new Elixers, Keith. I have lights on there now but am tempted to go medium with the next change for added bass and volume. The neck angle is perfect right now, so I think it would take the added strain just fine.

Right now, I have it on a stand next to my D-50 to A-B them, while taking a break from work. Hope none of my bosses are closet Guild-lovers.

The first thing I have noticed is that I can play the F-30 comfortably for a lot longer than the dred. It doesn't give me that pinch in the shoulder and neck after an hour or so of seated playing. It is also a lot better finger-picking guitar than the D-50, with better note separation, as would be expected.

The rosewood D-50 kicks the F-30's *** for volume and sustain, as also might be expected. I still would take it to a crowded jam. But there is a subtlety to the F-30 that the D-50 lacks, a tone that is hard to describe but clearly different than any of my dreds. Articulate might be a good description. Sweet would be another. Mellow would be a third.

Next up will be a comparison between the F-30 and my '71 D-25 (all mahogany flat-back), which has served well as my primary picker, and has become, honestly, my favorite all-rounder. Will it be de-throned? Gonna be close.

Neal

Great description. I got to play one, I mostly do finger style.

Neal

Reaction score
Don't follow me into the weeds, Woody. It will only lead to more guitar cases littering your basement.

And questions from your significant other, like "which one are you going to sell?"

Neal

Guitarfish

Reaction score
Hey, Guitarfish. What is your experience in comparing the F-40 to your D-55? Is it a fairly similar comparison to the one I made above?

Neal

Neal, to tell you the truth a comparison would be apples and oranges. Similarly the D55 is louder, lots more overtones than the F40. But with the 16'' lower bout and adi top the F40 holds it own when strummed. But I like it fingerpicked.

But the D55 is a grand piano plain and simple.

They both have to go so I stopped playing them. They'll both be for sale here in the SF area soon. Enjoy yours!

JohnC

Reaction score
Neal, congrats, she's a beauty! I'm wondering if you can tell me if the 1 11/16 nut feels big, small, or right on the money? I much prefer that size body by really prefer a 1 3/4 nut. Just wondering if it might lean that way?