Ngd f46

keith7940236

Reaction score
I just got my new F46 back from the luthier after a set up. She's an '85 (I believe) that is in fantastic shape. There are no dings anywhere and I am yet to find a finish issue. The neck was reset about two years ago, so there is a lot of saddle left for future adjustments. There is virtually no wear on the frets. I am absolutely amazed at the tone of this guitar. I have never played an acoustic that is so well balanced, the tone is clear and clean from treble to bass. I used to have a Martin J-40 that I thought sounded good, but this really sounds much cleaner to me. I'm also very impressed with how light this guitar is, you can really feel it resonate. I can't imagine ever letting this one go..........of course, never say never!

tommym

Reaction score
I just got my new F46 back from the luthier after a set up.....

Handsome looking guitar......I have a F44 maple.

Anyone know how to remove the oxidation from these (nickle plated?) tuners without damaging the adjacent nitro finish on the headstock????

DSCF2702_zpsae3682c2.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a BEAUTIFUL guitar!! Love the fretboard inlays!! That purfling is phenomenal. I've tried to count the layers but my eyes cross and I lose count every time! Congrats on that one! @ tommym most general metal polish will take care of any oxidation on the tuners. You'll have to do them carefully and I would definitely REMOVE the tuners to do that. Keep the metal polish away from the finish on the guitar and make sure they're clean and residue-free before you put them back on. They should shine up just fine. I'd probably use a Q-tip to start.

glazed67

Reaction score
Keith, WOW!! She's in fantastic condition!! Thanks for posting the pics!! I'll second you on that, "balanced tone" also extremely warm.Enjoy!

Grad77

Reaction score
You might try Windex on the tip of a Q-Tip. I've cleaned the cloudiness off Gold tuners with it without having to take them off. Not sure about about oxidized Nickle though. It may take a true polish as Dave suggested. If that's the case, yep to be safe I'd take them off to polish them.

tommym

Reaction score
You might try Windex on the tip of a Q-Tip. I've cleaned the cloudiness off Gold tuners with it without having to take them off. Not sure about about oxidized Nickle though. It may take a true polish as Dave suggested. If that's the case, yep to be safe I'd take them off to polish them.

Thanks for the tip.....as I do always have Windex in the house. I'll give it a try on a tarnished 5 cent coin first. Makes me really appreciate the so called "junk" Japanese 3-on-plate chrome plated tuners on my 72 and 73 F-30's.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
Well it took a while, but I finally ordered some MAAS polish along with two of their Microfiber Polishing Cloths. I did removed and reinstalled all six tuners in less then an hour, and I wasn't rushing or breaking a sweat; just took my sweet old time. Not the best photo, but the tuner in the lower left has already been polished. Actually, the polished tuner does look a lot better than the photo lets on. The front side of the tuners have been polished too, except for the embedded ferrules (which I don't plan on removing), as I did not what to risk getting any polish on the adjacent nitro finish. I've got a plan on how to address those embedded ferrules, but that's will be addressed during my next string change. MAAS is really nice stuff, as it doesn't have that industrial smell. Your guitar case will thank you.

Tommy

P.S. I showed mom my new MAAS polish, and told her "hands off of this stuff" as it's only for use on my guitar hardware. She said, "That's OK, I've got a ton of MAAS products that I've been using to polish my jewelry since before you were born. Just tell me when you run out, and you can buy some from me next time." :beaten:

P5150038.jpg

Last edited: