Guild fan's Facebook page

jte

Reaction score
There's a guy who has a FB page dedicated to US-made Epiphones who just this week started a similar fan page for pre FMIC Guilds, if anyone's interested. It's called "Groovy Guilds 1952-1995" if anyone's interested. He's already posted a couple of cool photos I've not seen before, including a green left-handed SF-12.

John

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did a search on FB and couldn't find anything. Can you post a link?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's wrong with my 1999 Pre-FMIC Guild? Or my 2000? Or my 1997?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Some groovy photos there - lots of love for lefties, too!

walrus

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What's wrong with my 1999 Pre-FMIC Guild? Or my 2000? Or my 1997?

Groovy they certainly are, and Westerly-built, but they're not pre-FMIC.

jte

Reaction score
Well, he's coming from the pre FMIC standpoint (his other fan page is for K-zoo made Epiphones so that one's not talking much about pre-Gibson Epiphones nor the post 1970 ones made off-shore) as his focus to help people learn more about Guilds. Before he started the page I did send him a note about accuracy of the history and suggested he spend some time here. He'd asserted that after FMIC, that they didn't make guitars in the US, so I explained the Westerly factory being maintained until 2001, the Corona, Tacoma, and New Hartford production.

Anyway, he's got some really interesting photos so far that I've not seen before.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sorry he elects to focus on pre-FMIC since by doing so he implicitly endorses some beliefs that are controversial and often incorrect. His, hopefully corrected, belief that FMIC moved production offshore is just one example.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry he elects to focus on pre-FMIC since by doing so he implicitly endorses some beliefs that are controversial and often incorrect. His, hopefully corrected, belief that FMIC moved production offshore is just one example.

You have to admit that it's confusing. FMIC did move production offshore... just not all of it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You have to admit that it's confusing. FMIC did move production offshore... just not all of it.
But not in 1995 as that guy thinks or thought. And it's pretty funny, he also posts pictures of "after 1995" guitars. And he copied and pasted also wrong info from other sites, like about the Keith Richards 10 string that he calls wrongly a 2006 model (as did the Blue Lena page where he copied it from...)...So his FB page title is just misleading I think. If he would be smart he would delete the end date.
Ralf

Last edited:

jte

Reaction score
I told him before he opened the page that "Actually, FMIC has built Guilds in the US all through their ownership. They kept production in Westerly until late 2001. But acoustics and excellent electrics in Corona, California, then built acoustics in Tacoma, Washington. There was a short period between Tacoma and the move to Hartford with no US production. And as near as I can tell no electrics after Corona. But to say all the acoustics have been imports since '95 is inaccurate."

And

"BTW, I think it's a great idea, just want to be sure the history is reported accurately. Spend some time at the on-line Guild forum, Lets Talk Guild at http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/forum.php" To which he replied "Will do, THanks!"

jte

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total