What kind of bridge base is this?

jcwu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the following setup on my CE100D:

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

bridge3.jpg

I know it's a tune-o-matic bridge, but what I'm interested in finding out is what kind of base it's sitting on. It's not the wood base I commonly see, and the guitar came to me like this.

The base is on there pretty tight - I don't know if something has been drilled through the top into the braces, or if it was simply glued on, or some really strong double sided tape - I haven't tried TOO hard to pry it off, since if it's glue, I don't want to end up ripping it off.

I'd assume the base being metal would make a difference in sound, compared to a wood base?

Thanks for any pointers!
Jason

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It looks like "no base", but to metal cups instead, as you would see on a hollowbody M-75, or like several Valco-made guitars (National, Supro, Airline,...) used to have. A wood base might sound different, but if you like the way it sounds now, I'd leave it alone, in sort of a "if it aint' broke..." sort of way.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My M-65 has similar "cups" for a base, as Mr. Broes describes them.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Also interested to know what kind of pickups. They look like Fender WHR's but without the "Fender" stamped on the cover. Lollars?

Could be the bridge studs are screwed into the body and those cups are there to give some support. Have you tried getting a look inside - maybe with a mirror?

jcwu

Reaction score
It looks like "no base", but to metal cups instead, as you would see on a hollowbody M-75, or like several Valco-made guitars (National, Supro, Airline,...) used to have. A wood base might sound different, but if you like the way it sounds now, I'd leave it alone, in sort of a "if it aint' broke..." sort of way.

Oh, I like the way this one sounds... but I'm trying to figure out if I want to mod another hollowbody the same way. It's got a wood base with wood bridge right now, and I want tune-o-matic. Decisions, decisions!

Also interested to know what kind of pickups. They look like Fender WHR's but without the "Fender" stamped on the cover. Lollars?
Lindy Fralin' makes something like that, but in this day and age there may be a bunch of other people doing the same thing!

Fralin P92's! Again, modded by one of the previous owners. Gibson speedknobs, too.

Could be the bridge studs are screwed into the body and those cups are there to give some support. Have you tried getting a look inside - maybe with a mirror?

I've looked inside before, but not that carefully. I should take another look. But if it goes through the top and into the brace, but not through the brace, I wouldn't see, right?

jcwu

Reaction score
So I stuck a mirror inside and took a peek - from what I can tell, if the hardware is screwed through the top, it would miss the braces, and be clearly visible, but I didn't see anything. So sounds like it's cups, and they've just been stuck pretty good to the top, whether from tape that's held real well, or glue. I'm not going to find out either way. :)

jcwu

Reaction score