Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T100 Adventures

T100 Adventures

I have completed my quest for a '57 T100. In the process of fulfilling the quest, I, um, ended up with an extra T100, from '58. I decided that I would keep the '57 pristine and original, and the '58... well, since it was well loved, I decided to love it some more.

I didn't document the process, because I was too excited, but I did work slowly and surely. By the time I stopped to take photos, I'd done most of the work (including regluing a peeling headstock veneer and bindings that were coming off in several spots). One thing I can say - these guys are built a lot tougher than I thought. That laminated top can take quite a beating!

Here I'm gluing some extra support to the brace, since I had to cut into it to make room for the bridge pickup. When I'm done, it'll have the original Franz P90 along with an HB-1.:

Here's the pickup route (I had to take a bit more material out to make room for the pickup, the route is deeper into the brace than this photo shows; that first pencil mark is for the pickup support depth, the second line is the pickup screw depth):

With a Bigsby, just to see what it'll look like (and taped so I can draw where the extra holes for bridge volume/tone pots and pickup selector will go):

It's sitting nice and snug in an Epiphone Dot/ES case. Thanks for the confirmation, zizala!

Now here's something weird I found.. the wood used for the guitar seems to have some print material imprinted into it. Here's a stamp on one section of the back:

And here's some more text imprinted:

Feels like I'm taking a peek back in time. Wonder what those imprints came from.

On the piece of the top that I cut out for the pickup, there's some smaller fine print. When I get a chance I'll photograph that too and post it.
    Last edited by jcwu; 06-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    T100 Mod Adventures!

Old tunes written and recorded in good ol' college days.

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

That is really cool! I love those old guitars and really like the work that you are doing!
    2017 Zambelli 12 Fret Dread
    2014 Zambelli 12 Fret 00 Dread
    2008 Ranacourt 15" Concerto Archtop
    2004 Legend Dreadnought
    2017 Kopp Trail Boss
    1964 Gibson B-45-12
    2012 Guild Orpheum Jumbo

Is that ruboff from newsprint? That last one says "open every evening".
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Quote Originally Posted by keith7940236 View Post
    That is really cool! I love those old guitars and really like the work that you are doing!
    Thank you, Keith! I'm discovering these Hoboken guitars myself! So... light and yet resonant. I've not played anything like them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    Is that ruboff from newsprint? That last one says "open every evening".
    Yes, I think it might be newsprint. Here's the imprint from the piece of the top I cut out:

And here it is flipped and with added contrast for readbility:

I finished taking out the pickup route down to the right depth, and added a hole for the height adjustment screw to fit into:

And here's a preview with a pickup selector switch from the '70s:

The project is coming along slowly. Waiting for some wiring to arrive so I can rewire the harness, and start sticking things where they belong. Can't wait!
    T100 Mod Adventures!

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

Very interesting post - thanks! I have no skills at all to be doing anything like this, so it is very mpressive to me!

walrus
    1958 Gibson ES-225T
    2011 Guild F-30RCE

Gone but not forgotten (Guilds only): 1963 A-50, 1965 X-50BL, 1967 T-100D, 1968 Mark II, 1960's Baritone Ukulele, 1977 S-60, 1984 D-64, 1997 SFII, 1998 SFIV, 1998 Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst, 2001 Bluesbird P90 Natural

Routing scares me!! I could never, ever do it to a vintage guitar. Super cool project JCWU!!
    Guild On!
    -Dave
    --------------------------------------

The only wood work I've done was taking a woodshop class in middle school, and building a farm-table style dining table a few years ago. Mostly rough work. I've discovered I'm terrible at detailed work, and I tend to rush.

So this time, I forced myself to go slow and easy. Anyways, the work itself is an enjoyable part of the process, so if it takes longer, I get to have more fun, right?

I do have a router, but didn't know how to make a router guide, so I actually didn't use a router. What I did for the pickup cutout was trace the cutout on my CE100, sketch it on the T100, carefully score through the finish using an xacto knife and a hard straight edge on the straight parts. Then I used the xacto knife and slowly traced over the cut until I had a groove going, then cut through just enough to fit a small saw blade, and hand-cut the rest of the straight parts. The rounded parts I used an appropriately sized Forstner bit to get the curve.

For digging into the brace, a router would've worked best and be most precise, but like I said, I don't know how to build a guide, so I opted instead for a grinder bit with my dremel, and just slowly worked away at it. This is one of my favorite aspects of woodworking - sanding and grinding away at the wood to shape and form it. Of course, a little too much pressure and you take away too much wood, so I had to remind myself to go slow.

It helped that I did most of this while watching TV with my wife - slowed down my tendency to want to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    I could never, ever do it to a vintage guitar.
    I thought long and hard about taking on this project. I know there are folks that would cringe at the thought of cutting up an old instrument like this, but.. well. What can I say? It's already done. I think it helped knowing that the T100 was a cheaper guitar back in the day, so it's not like I'm taking a Johnny Smith out of circulation or something. :)
    T100 Mod Adventures!

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

When I get the chance, I like to peek inside my guitars. This is the first time I've gotten intimate with a hollowbody, and with the electronics out, you can get a pretty good peek inside. Taken from the output jack hole with phone camera, two photos stitched together:

You can see the huge chunk of balsa I glued to the brace to reinforce it. I probably didn't need something so thick, but I was too lazy to shave it down. So there it is, kind of ugly, but I hope it does its job!

And... a video to go with it!

Last edited by jcwu; 03-15-2014 at 06:17 PM.
    T100 Mod Adventures!

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

This is a cool thread! I like the work you're doing here and can't wait to see how it turns out. The pics and video and very informative.

As for the newsprint on the inside of the laminate top - would a piece of newspaper be used between the bottom of the mold and the laminate wood and if so why? Was there heat involved in the pressing of the tops and backs?
    Last edited by cc_mac; 03-15-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Heat? I believe so. You have to heat the sides to bend them, so I would expect a back would need it too.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")