Ngd!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think Joe is right. Not enough NGD posting going on...

Here's a 2013 F-212 XLCE Std recently acquired from our own charliea.

full_zps8a27e939.jpg

Charliea had issues with the satin b&s, but once the guitar arrived I quickly grew to like the finish.
Now, I do like a shiny guitar, but this is pretty cool. There was a nice surprise on the back, though:

heeldetail_zpsf89b0bea.jpg

Yep. Nice ivroid treatment on the heel cap (and other binding) and a sweet inlay strip down the back.
I don't think they ever had that on the old F-212XL!

back_zps70e4e068.jpg

Being a standard series, it does have the "plain" headstock. No chesterfield here, but a nice look anyway.

headstock_zps670d0d4b.jpg

How does it play? It was good initially, then spent some time with fixit. Now it's simply awesome.

How does it sound? Here's a recording of it. (Prolly could've picked something better. (D7#9 on this thing?) But it is very nice. Full and responsive, like a Guild 12er should always be. This is my 3rd F-212, and it's the best one. The pickup system is the D-tar. It IS the multi-source but only has a UST installed. Still, it does the job and I'll probably leave it alone.

Just a few more, OK?

NeckDetail_zps524fc80f.jpg

sideview_zps87ce0c10.jpg

So there you have it. :wink-new:

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
I love satin!!!

That's such a deep rich red finish, lovely new guitar day!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Love the strip down the back. That is awesome!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar Dave! And I have a NGD of my own coming shortly. :happy:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
And I was going to ask Charlie about the fate of one of his guitars...

Congrats on the new baby, Dave & Thanks for the answer! :congratulatory:

All the best,
B.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And I was going to ask Charlie about the fate of one of his guitars...

Congrats on the new baby, Dave & Thanks for the answer! :congratulatory:

All the best,
B.

Just to be sure, this was NOT the guitar that he had all the trouble with. This was the one Guild sent to replace it.

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Just to be sure, this was NOT the guitar that he had all the trouble with. This was the one Guild sent to replace it.

Don't worry, Dave: my question arose just by looking at Charlie's signature. In any case, you would not have bought the other guitar. I'm sure about that. :friendly_wink:

All the best,
B.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, Dave: my question arose just by looking at Charlie's signature. In any case, you would not have bought the other guitar. I'm sure about that. :friendly_wink:

All the best,
B.

No worries here! I thought some folks might wonder...

charliea

Reaction score
I only hit a few chords on that guitar before it went to Dave, but it sounded really good. The cutaway doesn't seem to hurt the tone at all. Most importantly, it has a great neck angle with saddle to spare. When the guys at NH get it right, it's right. I decided to reorganize my feeble attempts at music. Sold the 212XL and 212XLCE and got a Vega long neck banjo with a '28 tubaphone pot and Wyatt Fawley neck. I'm kinda regretting selling the guitars but, what's done is done. Congrats, Dave!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Golly what a beautiful guitar, Dave!! I'm a huge fan of both the cutaway, and the satin finish. Just an awesome looking guitar. Can't wait to hear a clip or two. Play it in good health, sir!! :encouragement:

Zelja

Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar. Looks great, hope you enjoy her for a long time.

The pickup system is the
D-tar. It IS the multi-source but only has a UST installed.
Confused by this a bit. If it is a DTAR multi-source shouldn't it have the mic as part of the package? From what I understand the "plain" DTAR is just the UST with the on-board electronics to give an 18Volt DC source to the UST instead of just 9 Volts (increases available head room & supposedly stops the UST from having that "quack" that they're known for).

One of the best clips I've heard on an online review has been for one of these. Not sure if it was standard or MS DTAR though.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar. Looks great, hope you enjoy her for a long time.

Confused by this a bit. If it is a DTAR multi-source shouldn't it have the mic as part of the package? From what I understand the "plain" DTAR is just the UST with the on-board electronics to give an 18Volt DC source to the UST instead of just 9 Volts (increases available head room & supposedly stops the UST from having that "quack" that they're known for).

One of the best clips I've heard on an online review has been for one of these. Not sure if it was standard or MS DTAR though.

I mis-spoke a bit, in that this system is called the "Wave Length". But, Duncan|Turner has provided instructions for adding a second source to it. Here's how to do it: http://www.d-tar.com/images/2nd_source_installation.pdf I've wondered how this would sound with a K&K Mini added, but I don't think I'll go there at this point.

I've had a D-TAR Multi-Source, and while I thought it was the best setup I'd tried with a built-in microphone, I'm still not sure that I'm sold on the idea of having a mic in the guitar. My D-18VE has the Fishman Ellipse Blend and I usually just turn the mic off. I often play in a high-volume environment and feedback can be a real problem.

Sorry for the confusion.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

After all that I gotta shake my head and chuckle, but just as long as it's got a happy home, congrats buddy!
:smile:

charliea

Reaction score
After all that I gotta shake my head and chuckle, but just as long as it's got a happy home, congrats buddy!
:smile:

Chuckle and cackle all you like. Throw in a couple of yucks, too. Why not? When you're through yucking, ask yourself how much you'd pay for a year-old guitar with marginal neck angle and shaved bridge? This way I got most of my money back, and Dave got a fine guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chuckle and cackle all you like. Throw in a couple of yucks, too. Why not? When you're through yucking, ask yourself how much you'd pay for a year-old guitar with marginal neck angle and shaved bridge? This way I got most of my money back, and Dave got a fine guitar.
Gosh Charlie, if I'd meant to be snarky I woulda been snarky.
But I can understand if it was misinterpreted and just leave it at that.
Sincerely, I'm happy for both of you.