fs/ft: 1973 S-200

drc

Reaction score
http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/drc1969/library/s200

I think Grot might have the only other one of these. It's Very similar to the Guild S-100 of that era with the exception of the gold hardware, ebony fret board with diamond and striped inlays, G-shield logo and the binding around head stock.

The story goes right after Guild moved from Hoboken to Westerly allot of new things were tried out and the S-200 was one of the "new" models that were supposed to take the place of the "older" S-200 Thunderbird solid bodies from the '60s. The "new" S-200 was mentioned in the early '70's price lists but as it turned out the S-200 became one of those projects that didn't fly.

The frets are big and full, the neck is straight and clean, the truss rod and all electronics work like they should. The guitar plays and sounds fantastic.

Includes a period correct hard shell case. The inside of the case is purple and in excellent shape. The outside has some wear and latch issues. Of the 3 latches, only the center one works and one is missing all together, looks like it was tore off or something.. anyways there is a whole where it once was.

Quote from Hans book:
"The Thunderbird S-200 was still featured in the '70's price list, even though it had not been produced since 1968. All the following price lists, up to 11-'73, mention the availability of a double pickup S-200, but it is not clear if such an instrument was actually manufactured. By that time the whole Guild solid-body line was redesigned and the S-100 would have most of the electronic features of the Thunderbird S-200".

$1,900 + shipping (willing to ship anywhere).

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is such a beautiful guitar! Hope it stays in the LTG group. (Grot has the red one)

fullbody_zps7b9c1aef.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

drc

Reaction score
The eBay auction ends tomorrow and if it doesn't sell I will not be relisting it. I am also removing it from Reverb and Craigslist today. So after today it will only be available for LTG members.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh momma! The only S100(ish) model I've ever lusted after.

drc

Reaction score
I would prefer to sell this outright but I'm interested in Nightbirds, hollowbody M75 Bluesbirds, S300's with HB1's, S70's, S100's (no Korean or '73's), X500's, Starfires with master volume, and generally any Guild electric with a chunky neck.

Cash can get involved to even things out.

fearless

Reaction score
Dave, does the neck angle back from the body like the 75, 76 S100s and the Gibson SG? Or is it parallel with the body like the other S100s?